Separate ELO scores for Alien and Marine play?

PlethoracidPlethoracid Join Date: 2013-04-12 Member: 184774Members
Not sure if this applies to the majority players, but at least in my case there's a huge disparity between my skill as an alien and my complete lack of skill as a marine, mainly due to my lack of interest in playing as a marine. With 2.6k hours logged on Steam, I'm pretty consistently somewhere around 2k ELO, but I only really play as alien unless a shuffle forces me to play as a marine (which is around 18% of the time according to the hive stats).

The thing is it often seems to throw off the balance when hive shuffle is used, particularly in small games. I regularly find myself shuffled into the marines as the player with the highest ELO on the team, despite the fact that my marine accuracy is rarely better than 15% and I'm pretty sure my marine KDR is well below 0.5. More often than not this ends in a pretty easy win for the aliens, and people often ask how the hell my ELO is so high when I can barely 1v1 a half-decent skulk. Likewise I often find myself at or near the top of the alien scoreboard when my ELO is far below the highest on the team, again skewing the results in the aliens' favour.

No idea how difficult or practical this would be to implement, but given that the playstyles are so different that they could practically be considered different games, I'm sure I can't be the only one who excels far more at one side than the other. It seems reasonable that a different ranking for the two different skill sets might be a good step towards a more consistently fair and balanced matchmaking system.

Comments