The bioreactor and nuclear reactor

zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
Both reactors rely on material consumption and the micromanagement of constant feeding. There is no consumption storage container included with those reactors, so you have to manually reserve container capacity for them. There is no automatic supply line from a container to feed such a reactor, so setting up an array of those reactors means that you have to feed every single one of them.

The consumption of the bioreactor is the worst: 3 creepvines + 1 fungal = 13 inventory slots, and fungals aren't early gameplay unless your lifepod spawns near the forest. The nuclear reactor is better: 1 disinfected water + uranium = 2 inventory slots, and by the time you've found the fragments to build one, you already have found some uranium.

Both reactors are more like kickstarter reactors to quickly setup a base in caverns where you can't find heat or light sources nearby, until you can establish a power line or scrap the base and move on. At least now until the O2 base or other consuming requirements come into gameplay and a base constantly draws power.

My suggestion for the bioreactor to make it useful and fun to play:
- let the reactor use everything that's organic: plants, creatures, eggs ... it's like a big techno stomach

The nuclear reactor doesn't have much problems. By the time you get it you already possess all reactor types with power lines and the cyclops, so you probably need it mainly for setting up a base in a deep and very large cavern system without any heat source near. There aren't much places and uses for that. My suggestion for the nuclear reactor:
- give it a greater power capacity or put more uranium resources ingame
- but with a radioactive or danger disadvantage (easy use at the price of danger)

My suggestion generally for both reactors:
- let them autofeed on inventory from a nearby or included container, so the player only fills a container
- allow them to be placed inside a base or sub as an additional emergency power supply
- when power gets consumed, always withdraw power from self replenishing sources first (solar/thermal)

Comments

• XyphonXyphon Texas Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214664Members
    I would like to add that the nuclear reactor is useless in freedom mode. since it requires disinfected water and there is no way to make it while playing in freedom mode. Players either need be able to make disinfected water in freedom mode or use filtered water instead.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    What about the thermal reactor?

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://sketchfab.com/models/d08297bb2f71474f8974ac266464702d/embed&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" onmousewheel=""></iframe><p style="font-size: 13px; font-weight: normal; margin: 5px; color: #4A4A4A;">
    <a href="https://sketchfab.com/models/d08297bb2f71474f8974ac266464702d?utm_medium=embed&utm_source=website&utm_campain=share-popup&quot; target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">Thermal_Reactor</a>
    by <a href="https://sketchfab.com/fox3d?utm_medium=embed&utm_source=website&utm_campain=share-popup&quot; target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">Fox3D</a>
    on <a href="https://sketchfab.com?utm_medium=embed&utm_source=website&utm_campain=share-popup&quot; target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">Sketchfab</a>
    </p>
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    What about the thermal reactor? ...

Looks like it could float now, but maybe just my imagination. The reactor was always the most useful one in the game and now even looks good. It only seems to take more place than before.

This cries for a cool looking solar panel, because now it'll be the last reactor with old graphics.
  • frazmifrazmi Kentucky Join Date: 2016-03-19 Member: 214471Members
    Xyphon wrote: »
    I would like to add that the nuclear reactor is useless in freedom mode. since it requires disinfected water and there is no way to make it while playing in freedom mode. Players either need be able to make disinfected water in freedom mode or use filtered water instead.

I've found a lot of disinfected water bottles in the cargo containers that litter the bottom of the ocean, especially near the Aurora. I have not yet tried to make a nuclear reactor with them, but I would assume the "found" bottles are equivalent to the constructed bottles.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    edited May 2016
    They are... but should you really have to find a resource that you could simply fabricate in survival in order to have a working nuclear reactor?

On another note, I noticed this on the trello boards - this issue might be about to go away.
    Nuclear_Reactor_rod_in_game.jpg

That's the "Nuclear Reactor Rod", which implies that you will somehow craft fuel rods for the nuclear reactor. Hopefully the recipe will not include disinfected water (which is a kinda dumb thing to need anyways - I'm pretty sure modern nuclear reactors don't require distilled water to function).
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    @Sidchicken Maybe disinfected water is based on the simple fact that you would filter your water before letting it inside nuclear reactors for cooling and nuclear control purposes (rods inside special water). But I never got why the devs didn't use the water filtration machine to generate water usable for nuclear reactors as soon as these machines got into the game. Would have been perfect supply machines for nuclear reactors. Byproduct for human output would be big bottles of tech clean water. But the best use for water filtration would be:
    • need 1 for every 10 growbeds inside a base (farming)
    • need 1 for every 1-4 nuclear reactors inside a base (coolant)
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Maybe you could make them temporarily shut down when the base is fully powered while you're away on a trip? That way the generator doesn't waste precious resources on oxygen that will never be consumed. Oxygen function could also temporarily deactivate once you have enough plants/living walls everywhere, further saving power.