Suggestion: Diving Bell

AshkaelAshkael USA Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213106Members
I realize we currently have a method of pumping oxygen down into the depths by way of pipes. However, I feel like gradually linking pipes together is both unwieldy and kind of silly, even if they are (probably) placeholder models. I would love to see a craftable diving bell to serve pretty much the same purpose. Basically, it could be a placeable item that would float on the surface, and you could enter the bell itself (which is full of oxygen) and lower it to the depth you want. It could then serve as a point at which you can return to gather oxygen or bring the bell back up to the surface. It's like an underwater elevator!

Balancing suggestions:
There should be multiple types of diving bells, with each tier capable of a greater depth. The lower tier bell could act as an easier way to navigate the grassy plateaus or deeper kelp forests. The next tier would use rarer materials and get you to the upper sections of the grand reef, and so on. The diving bell would have a limited O2 supply, but would constantly regenerate it. Greater depths would cause the O2 to regenerate slower.

I feel like this would be a great early game alternative to just rushing the Seamoth ASAP. It would also facilitate easier construction of early bases outside of the shallows. In the mid and later game, the diving bell could be placed strategically to provide easier access to deep resources without draining your Seamoth. The adjustable depth of the diving bell could also make it an effective elevator for seabases, without the need for vertical connectors and ladders. The diving bell would be *especially* useful in later game updates, when the Seamoth and Cyclops don't have infinite O2.

Overall I feel it would be a fun addition to the game, borrowing from real-life diving technologies and applying it to this sci-fi setting. It would not be a viable total replacement to the Seamoth, but it would be a useful addition to the repertoire.

Thanks for reading! ^_^

Comments