Why can you not pick up LMG ammo clip from your dead teammates body?

YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited February 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
This has always played on my mind, when your teammates are getting killed around you and your commander is busy elsewhere or simply does not have the res to drop you ammo, you are unable to pickup the rifle clip from teammates, almost guarantees you will lose that encounter.

Is there any valid explanation for this? And no don't say "nanites". :smiley:

Comments

• ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited February 2016
    drop gun, pick up there gun, pick up your gun.

subconsciously do this.

also need to have grenades drop
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
  • HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I belive this is related to that LMG's don't drop when you die. Maybe because of the distraction when stuff is lying around, to highlight valuable stuff like SG's?
    When you drop the LMG alive, there is also a rifle clip which you can pick up. This moment when I drop my LMG by mistake and somone else is running over it and "steales" my ammo.
    I would like to have ammodrops, since it also works with the Shotgun.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hoeloe wrote: »
    I belive this is related to that LMG's don't drop when you die. Maybe because of the distraction when stuff is lying around, to highlight valuable stuff like SG's?
    When you drop the LMG alive, there is also a rifle clip which you can pick up. This moment when I drop my LMG by mistake and somone else is running over it and "steales" my ammo.
    I would like to have ammodrops, since it also works with the Shotgun.

Surely that was the case at the time but now that we have NS2+ with its highly customisable options relating to weapon pickups, surely this can be reconsidered?

One of the more subtle bonuses this would provide is a more efficient use of resources for the marine commander
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I've complained about this before. They should also drop their LMG when they're not buying stuff from an armory.

All not having this does is remove an awareness based skill play. Run out of ammo vs fade, pick up dead teammates full clip lmg, win fight potentially. Not dropping that weapon makes no sense.

The feature was removed to avoid the 10 LMGs sitting at an armory when shotguns get researched.

Same thing with mine ladders. Collision was changed for unrelated reasons, and all of a sudden no more mine ladders. There was no mention of this intent in that changelog. It wasn't a bad thing to have a 15pres way to enter a vent.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Frozen wrote: »
    Same thing with mine ladders. Collision was changed for unrelated reasons, and all of a sudden no more mine ladders. There was no mention of this intent in that changelog. It wasn't a bad thing to have a 15pres way to enter a vent.
    You don't even need mines to do that in many maps. One of the other stupid thing that ruins alien play.
  • 3X4L73X4L7 Join Date: 2014-06-13 Member: 196510Members
    Uh, just edit the lines of code for when someone buys a different gun?