ns2_Centrifuge

SteveosaurousSteveosaurous USA Join Date: 2016-02-08 Member: 212754Members
Spent awhile working on this map and just got it to that point which all maps are destined to get to. That point where you could fiddle with it forever and ever and never really be quite satisfied with it. So, I figured it was time to start getting some third party input on the matter!

So, without further ado, I introduce you to NS2_Centrifuge!

7kg0zehamtgg.png

pqfcg4lvj3gd.png

phvub0acgft1.png

More images and information can be found on the steam page here: Centrifuge on Steam Workshop

The map is currently in the alpha stage of development. I went a little further than might be normally advised, as I know that a lot of people in the NS2 community have an aversion to testing community made maps that are in early stages of development, so I wanted it to be as complete as possible to make it more enticing to play and to provide a more complete experience.

With this build, I'm hoping to get feed back on the basic map layout. Do rooms seem balanced? Does the map feel particularly pro-alien or pro-marine? Do any rooms need to be moved or adjusted to make it more difficult/easy to use arcs/bile bomb? As you all probably know, it's important to avoid situations like what we currently see in the ns2_docking map, where marines pretty much just win by locking down Stability Monitoring. I currently have some serious concerns about Deep Core Drilling and look forward to feedback about it and other areas.

Assuming that no major changes need to be made to the map's design, I will spend the next few weeks polishing up the textures and props used in many of the rooms throughout the map. Some rooms are much further along than others, and I will need to work on lighting/textures throughout to ensure that each room has a good sense of identity and improve cohesion throughout the map.

Enjoy!

Comments

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ooooo looks nice mate, looking forward to giving this a try, maybe get it on rotation on Wooza and SCC?
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2016
    Yay, a new map! :D We'll be sure to play it at SCC next sunday. Just based on the screenshot of the overview, it seems like there's some over-connectivity, making lane blocking very difficult. Most rooms seem to be a three way junction at minimum.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    not sure why, but i'm not able to load this on a local server. is the .level file called ns2_centrifuge? or is it something different?
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Can you post a map with the TPs and RTs? Want to analyze but can't load up ns2 atm... :(
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    Mod currently does not contain the .level file :o
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Did you remember to build the level file? I assume so if you have the overview. :/
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Waiting for a beta test in the faded mod :) (as soon as the .level is available)
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    maybe he removed it becuase its not ready for the public yet? Can always add the level file beofre sunday map testing :)
  • SteveosaurousSteveosaurous USA Join Date: 2016-02-08 Member: 212754Members
    Hey everyone, glad to see this generated some interest! Sorry about the map not loading, I did indeed forget to compile the map before uploading to the workshop. I was using the TestMap plugin from the other thread, which just copies the map over (and doesn't require a compile). Woops!

Hope this works for everyone! Let me know if you have any issues. The map is titled ns2_centrifuge.
    @Calego

Here's the map overview with Tech Points. I have some concerns about the closeness of Communications and Core Drilling, but hopefully there won't need to be much change. As we see the same closeness with Turbine and Containment on Refinery and Terminal/Cafeteria in Docking.

y59y576xpsja.png

@Flaterectomy

Yes, this was intentional. Before I began I went through the design documentation and decided to stray away from the most commonly used layouts like the the Diamond layout. This map is more of the "Scattered" layout. While the Diamond (Biodome is a good example) is a pretty solid layout, it leads to a lot of games that feel "samey". With Centrifuge, I was hoping to try and break the mold a bit (hopefully without breaking the game).

As far as laneblocking, I play public servers exclusively and "laneblocking" isn't really how the average pub player thinks, so I didn't focus too much on it. Hopefully, the map will still work. Of course, if it doesn't, and it's much too easy for Marines to be overrun because of all the access routes, there'll have to be changes made. If so, I'm confident these changes can be made pretty quickly and easily.
    @Yojimbo

Sounds good to me! Let me know if you do. Same to everyone else! I'd love to come by and find out what you like and don't like about the map.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Connectivity and lanes are important for pub play too ;)

To the map:

The overall layout is pretty uncommon and that is pretty cool and looks interesting to play. But that can also lead to big advantages/disadvantages because the spawns aren't fixed.
    Some RTs are fery far away from the TP and seem to be almost impossible to hold (Hollow -> Stair Well for example). And Hollow got only 1 exit. When you cut cyst in automation, aliens can't go anywhere. Same goes for Surface Transport atm because of a pathing issue from Surface Transport to Tunnel Access.

There is a similar problem in Communications where you can only expand through Junction.

There is no power in Sewer and it is barely possible to place structures there. Is this intended?

You should consider cutting some connections. For example Junction and Cargo Bay got 5 exits.

Some Hives seem to be a bit to easy arcable (Marine Biology -> Surface Transport; Cargo Bay -> Deep Core Drilling; Geo Survey -> Hollow RT, not Hive).

You need to make it playable for commanders. You can see every face and prop as comm. :)
    @The_Welsh_Wizard

Yes. Pretty much all of this. I forgot to add a CommanderNoBuild to sewers. Did that just now. Working on fixing those pathing issues you mentioned.

Otherwise, pretty much all of those things are intended and we'll just have to see how they play in an actual game. I'm not terribly concerned about Junction having a ton of entrances, as it's really just a hub area - where you'll pass through on your way to another area. If you want to make a forward base here, you'll have to deal with the problem of being attacked from many directions.

While Surface Transport may be easily arcable from Marine Biology, it's also easy to bile the arcs from the vents above. I've never been very happy with the hallway that connects Deep Core Drilling to Cargo Bay, so there may have to be a change there.

Stair Well RT may end up being moved. Centrifuge was originally a double RT, but I moved the other point to Stair Well.

Have you tried playing the map alon/ with others or is this just your opinion based on looking at the map?

Appreciate the input! Your concerns echo a lot of my own, but experimentation is important!
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I ran around in the map and tried some things :)

Okay then, please make sure commander view is clean (kill most of the walls too, they are way too high for commander view :D )! And then it should be ready for testing.

Centrifuge single RT was a good idea, there are already enough RTs in that area.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hi mate, apparently the workshop file doesnt contain the map or something?
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited February 2016
    A small (quick review, I am short in time atm) from a solo exploration of the map:

* Some fps drop around the map
    * The area around the RT is too small and a marine can't go straigth (have to jump over the fence on the left to get to the ladder)
    dg7m00zqe2ix.png

* Gen sequencing: Add a lots of bubbles in the tubes ! :) (and maybe replace the skulk with a marines to makes things more creepy)
    * Marine biologie: Congratulation for that poor babbler used for experimentation, add blood and knives
    * Surface transport: It is not intuitive on first sight on why there is water falling from the ceilings, maybe add sounds and reduce the light to make it sounds like an emergency or an accident. (adding sounds and a review of the lights)

Thermal reactor: The platform seems too thin for me (we do not see it at all from the other side (especially as a lerk when you fly throw) (bonus: makes to platform movable with an entity event ?)

Otherwise it's a pretty map with a lots of fresh things, keep up the good work.
    1.png 980.9K
    @Katzenfleisch

Fixed that issue with the platform around the RT being too small. Also, I fixed an issue with the occlusion geometry which was causing upwards of 4500 draw calls in some areas. Should be down to a manageable 1000 now.

Also, I added thickness to that platform in reactor. One of those things you just miss sometimes.

I like all of your other ideas and agree for the most part. Things like ambient noise and stuff are polish issues which I've put off until after alpha testing.

Thanks for the feedback!

@Yojimbo
    That was an issue with the initial upload, but should be fixed now. Are you still getting that issue?
    @Yojimbo
    That was an issue with the initial upload, but should be fixed now. Are you still getting that issue?

This was on behalf of asking @wooza to upload it to his servers.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Mod ID: 24e71966
    Map name: ns2_Centrifuge (note the capital C).
    Could you add this the Workshop page? It will make it easier for server ops to add the map.
    @SupaFred

Sure thing, thanks for the heads up!
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I'd love to try the map, as with all maps, but I'm just going to leave this piece of general advice:

If you do wind up balancing this for 6 vs 6 competitive, which I hope you do. Please pick permanent marine spawn and alien spawn, do not try to balance a rotating map. No one will play it.
    edited February 2016
    @Frozen

"...do not try to balance a rotating map. No one will play it."

How did you come to this conclusion?
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    @Yojimbo

This was on behalf of asking @wooza to upload it to his servers.
    odrhf3a614co.jpg
    @Wooza I'm not sure I understand. Was there a problem?
    edited February 2016
    Basically everyone spawns at same place and gets stuck. You need to add more spawn entities to the readyroom. The readyroom looks neat but very small. I doubt 24 players can fit there. Also when you spawn and press W you are almost about to fall in spectator room
    @wooza
    Added a bunch more spawns and re-uploaded. Should be able to fit 24 players, I measured it against the tram ready room, but I'm not sure about the 40+ of your server. Let me know how it goes!
    edited February 2016
    Thanks! I'll give it a try. Oh we are used to get stuck into each other :smile:. Even tho it would take @Loki seconds to add some extra spawn entities