PSA: Volcanic vents can kill you now, experimental build 27667

SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members
Was poking around near a volcanic vent trying to place some thermal generators and apparently got too close, as suddenly my screen looked like it was on fire and I died pretty quickly. I'm happy that this is finally a thing!

Comments

• RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    SpacedInvader was boiled alive

yay wonderful death by boiling has finally been added... well it was already sort of in... but they added it to one other place :D
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    Yeah, I found that out by driving my Cyclops into the vent
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    I like this addition. At least until I get cauchgt in a vent. Then I will hate it. :-)
  • SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members
    Dinkelsen wrote: »
    I like this addition. At least until I get cauchgt in a vent. Then I will hate it. :-)

I'm just glad I wasn't on a hardcore mode game. I'm 20 hours into that save and it would have been a rather frustrating death...
  • PiscatorPiscator Belgium Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211434Members
    edited January 2016
    Is the local fauna injured by the volcanic vent ? ;) (I've got some ideas about this)
    Piscator wrote: »
    Is the local fauna injured by the volcanic vent ? ;) (I've got some ideas about this)

I have no idea, though its not the heat that kills, but rather the lava / fire that erupts out of the vent. I was able to swim all the way down to the lowest side cave with only the heat, but as soon as the eruption happened, I was back at my base.
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    @SpacedInvader: I am confused now. Do you mean the ~7m circles with glowing lava floor that erupt in regular intervals when you say "volcanic vent" (these have always been harmful) or do you mean the black smoker like things that have warm water around them (perfect for thermal generators)?
    @Dinkelsen, I mean the former, two of which can be found at the north and south ends of the shallows. That they have always been harmful is news to me, as I've been down there several times over the last few weeks (as long as I've been playing the game) and this is the first time I've ever taken damage from the eruptions.
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Dinkelsen wrote: »
    @SpacedInvader: I am confused now. Do you mean the ~7m circles with glowing lava floor that erupt in regular intervals when you say "volcanic vent" (these have always been harmful) or do you mean the black smoker like things that have warm water around them (perfect for thermal generators)?

It has been in for awhile as far as I remember, its really cool to release fish into it for autocook.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    I've always been cautious around magma vents. Something about those eruptions sets my Common Sense tingling.

Nice to know that the goddess Pele has finally taken an interest in Planet 4546-B. :)1sct09m413dy.jpg

Image info: pele___hawaiian_volcano_goddess_by_arawyndesigns-d66mj1l
    Pele.jpg 268.8K
    I started out cautious and then I took the full force of an eruption while poking around the caves and didn't take any damage, so I stopped. Guess they fixed that now...
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    @Dinkelsen, I mean the former, two of which can be found at the north and south ends of the shallows. That they have always been harmful is news to me, as I've been down there several times over the last few weeks (as long as I've been playing the game) and this is the first time I've ever taken damage from the eruptions.

I always thought they caused damage, when spewing hot water. I've not played for a while but have been hit by them before.

Yes.

First time I explored the koosh zone I found the vent and a nearby fish - a sandshark I think. It was following me around and then it wasn't. I looked around and its corpse was hanging above the vent so it must've gotten cooked.
  • PiscatorPiscator Belgium Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211434Members
    Halios wrote: »
    Yes. First time I explored the koosh zone I found the vent and a nearby fish - a sandshark I think. It was following me around and then it wasn't. I looked around and its corpse was hanging above the vent so it must've gotten cooked.

This sounds interesting (and maybe usefull in particular contexts !) ... Thank you for sharing this information, Halios ! ;)
  • JaggSauceJaggSauce Denmark Join Date: 2016-01-30 Member: 212349Members

you don't "drive" a ship... you sail it (or in case of space ship - fly it)

the only local fauna is the lava lizards and larva, whom are attracted to the heat.. they have lava-plating... so i would guess they thrive on it, rather than being damaged by it.
    edited January 2016
    JaggSauce wrote: »

:| a submarine isn't a ship or a space ship so you can't sail or fly one of those... also you're wrong about the word "drive"

and I'm about to get technical... sooo here we go

Definition of Drive

VERB

operate and control the direction and speed of a motor vehicle:
    "he got into his car and drove off" ·
    synonyms: operate · handle · manage · pilot · steer · travel by car ·
    propel or carry along by force in a specified direction:
    "the wind will drive you onshore"
    synonyms: power · propel · move · push
    urge or force (animals or people) to move in a specified direction:
    "they drove a flock of sheep through the center of the city" ·
    synonyms: impel · urge · herd · round up · shepherd
    (of a fact or feeling) compel (someone) to act in a particular way, especially one that is considered undesirable or inappropriate:
    "he was driven by ambition" ·
    synonyms: force · compel · prompt · precipitate · oblige · coerce ·

NOUN

a trip or journey in a car:
    "they went for a drive in the country"
    synonyms: excursion · outing · trip · jaunt · tour · ride · run · journey ·
    psychology
    an innate, biologically determined urge to attain a goal or satisfy a need:
    "her emotional and sexual drives"
    synonyms: urge · appetite · desire · need · impulse · instinct
    an organized effort by a number of people to achieve a particular purpose, often to raise money:
    "we're planning a massive membership drive"
    synonyms: campaign · crusade · movement · effort · push · appeal
    the transmission of power to machinery or to the wheels of a motor vehicle.
    JaggSauce wrote: »

:| a submarine isn't a ship or a space ship so you can't sail or fly one of those... also you're wrong about the word "drive"

and I'm about to get technical... sooo here we go

Definition of Drive

VERB

operate and control the direction and speed of a motor vehicle:
    "he got into his car and drove off" ·
    synonyms: operate · handle · manage · pilot · steer · travel by car ·
    propel or carry along by force in a specified direction:
    "the wind will drive you onshore"
    synonyms: power · propel · move · push
    urge or force (animals or people) to move in a specified direction:
    "they drove a flock of sheep through the center of the city" ·
    synonyms: impel · urge · herd · round up · shepherd
    (of a fact or feeling) compel (someone) to act in a particular way, especially one that is considered undesirable or inappropriate:
    "he was driven by ambition" ·
    synonyms: force · compel · prompt · precipitate · oblige · coerce ·

NOUN

a trip or journey in a car:
    "they went for a drive in the country"
    synonyms: excursion · outing · trip · jaunt · tour · ride · run · journey ·
    psychology
    an innate, biologically determined urge to attain a goal or satisfy a need:
    "her emotional and sexual drives"
    synonyms: urge · appetite · desire · need · impulse · instinct
    an organized effort by a number of people to achieve a particular purpose, often to raise money:
    "we're planning a massive membership drive"
    synonyms: campaign · crusade · movement · effort · push · appeal
    the transmission of power to machinery or to the wheels of a motor vehicle.

Oh well... Touché.... i am just surprised you actually looked up the definition of the word.. you are technically correct - the best kind of correct - but i am sure you know what i mean.
    XD true, when you want to be through