Do The New Patches Make It Too Hard As A Marine?

13»

Comments

• BeetlejuiceBeetlejuice Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7542Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Fades are superior to HA/HMG's in every way.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hmg (weap upgrade): 276 dmg/sec for 12 sec
    then reload for 7 sec.

acid rocket (adrenalin 3): 100 dmg/sec for 3 sec
    then reload for 6 sec.

Thanks for wasting my time.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The Marines definately need more powerful weapons. Like grenade launchers that work. I fired all thirty grenades at an offense chamber once, it was all by itself, no defense chambers, and it didn't have a scratch. The grenades hit it directly, I didn't miss.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe the direct hit was the problem. GL (as bilebombs and siege turrets) are bugged right now and from my experience gl do only normal dmg when they NOT hit directly. At least they work sometime while bilebomb never seems to work against structures (which means that aliens not have a single ranged weapon that can bring down structures in under an hour, while marines have hmg, siege gun and even the bugged gl which do a very good job vs structures).

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->One has to wonder if that bug was a bug at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am still waiting for an official statement about this. There are quite some things which speak against a bug but then there are also some which speak for a bug. Only ns team knows if it is a bug (and if it should be fixed/needs rebalancing hp and armor when fixed).
  • TwexTwex Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4999Members
    ladies (?) and gentlemen:

the <a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=26&t=13359' target='_blank'>Official Statement</a>
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--QuoteBegin--Twex+Nov 27 2002, 07:23 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Twex @ Nov 27 2002, 07:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->ladies (?) and gentlemen:

the <a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=26&t=13359' target='_blank'>Official Statement</a><!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Which unfortunately only says it is "fixed". Not how. If all it does is to remove the damage negation, then carapace can start fighting with advanced hive sight for crappiest upgrade in the game - the amount of extra armor/health carap 3 will give will be the equivalent to 1-4 ticks of regeneration, depending on the class.

That does seem unlikely. Seems more likely the armor/health bonus will be upgraded to compensate for the removal of damage negation.
  • Bicycle_Repair_ManBicycle_Repair_Man Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7926Members
    What does advanced hive sight do???
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->That does seem unlikely. Seems more likely the armor/health bonus will be upgraded to compensate for the removal of damage negation.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Even if not i bet there will be ppl bitching about fades beeing so much more powerfull than ha/hmg marines. Even though ha/hmg marine will have more than twice the dmg output per second for 4 times as long before he has to reload and will survive 180 more dmg points. But hey, when you suck, first blame balance, then lag but never yourself :o))).
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What does advanced hive sight do??? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Transparent glow models for enemies and their structures (and yours as well) :o)
  • HavoKHavoK Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3698Members
    Fades without carapace are not very difficult to take out. As was mentioned before, a LMG user can sit beside a doorway, count acid rockets, then rush the fade for a kill. I did it 5 times last night (they were using regen instead of carapace) with a freshly spawned marine (I did load up on ammo). A smart fade will switch over to swipe, but that takes time. And if you have another marine with you, the fade will die. People are just scared of fades. Sure he can acid rocket you to death if he has full energy. Solution? Don't fight him when he has full energy. Or get your buddy (you do have one, right?) and attack him from 2 angles to avoid splash (which also means he has to fire twice as many rockets). Fades are NOT very durable, and two LMGs will kill him pretty quickly. One HMG will tear him to shreads (<i>remember kids: The HMG is not a sniper rifle. Try to get at least in the same time zone as your target</i>).

I also took out two onos (not at the same time) ALONE last night when I was a HA/HMG user. Circle-strafing can so often kill Onos (and they think paralyze is useless).

Come play on the Laggyservers. I would wager that marines win more often than aliens, unless they get a novice commander (or a team of rambos). Hell, I've had the marines siege our first hive before we could get the second up (see, aliens get dumb teammates too). Marines really are tough. I play both sides pretty equally (and even command from time to time when rambos are scarce), and if I were going to consider a nerf for either side, it would not be the aliens, particularly after explosive weapons are fixed in 1.03 . . . *shudder*.

Aliens get a much needed boost of power when they get fades, just like Marines do when they get HMGs (and again with HA).

Here is a tip:

If your commander builds more than three turrets in your base, 3 or more at your first captured resource point, and possibly builds MORE turrets at your second captured resource point, you are most likely going to lose the game. Sitting inside your base building 6+ turrets is exactly what the critters want you to do. It doesn't make you safer, it makes you more vulnerable since you don't get resource nodes, map control, or upgrades as quickly. If fades are cutting through you like butter, look at the right side of your screen and see what upgrades you have?

None? And you don't have any good guns? What the hell has your commander been spending resources on? Oh yeah! The mass of turrets he built and rebuilt and rebuilt.

Oh, and the Marines already have a flamethrower, it's called a Welder.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    Yea, I usually win when playing the marines, given a reasonably good commander - which admittedly is pretty rare on pub servers.

You _do_ notice the tech disadvantage if your weapons and armor isn't upgraded pretty quickly, as the carapac makes the skulks much harder to kill. But on the other hand, non-upgraded aliens can't do much against non-upgraded marines playing it smart, so it allows a bit of see-sawing in the tech advantage. It gets approx even once the marines gets lvl 1 weapons and armor upgrades - 50% more life to them and 10% less life to the Kharaa. Not quite as good as lvl 3 carap, but enough to keep the skulks from running all over the marines.

And getting MT+ first level weapons upgrades costs about the same as a TF+4 turrets, so it isn't even that expensive - in fact, you can expect to get it before the lvl 3 carap skulks unless the Kharaa is playing the ready-room game.