Fade Stab

fleasfleas Join Date: 2007-10-13 Member: 62623Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Hello,

Since no one really uses Stab because, it uses 2x swipe energy as well as takes as long 2 swipes to activate, in which case using normal swipe is more ideal.

Also note that you can't blink when stab is about to be used. Using the standard swipe can allow u escape

Since previously Focus was used in a similar manner, would it be ideal to change Stab into a focus swipe instead? this way 3 hive fade would ensure the fades to be more effective in killing exo/jp as well as higher grade marines(w3/a3).

Not sure if this would cause aliens to be OP on 3 hives since Xenocide is on 3rd hive as well.

Anyone open for debate? Otherwise I feel Stab is just a waste of a weapon slot.

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I do think stab is useful for attacking structures and exos, since it does not have the armor penalty, it is a waste of a weapon slot. I would rather see it replaced with an acid rocket like weapon for late game.
  • fleasfleas Join Date: 2007-10-13 Member: 62623Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ahhhh that makes sense. But for exos I think I rather stick with normal swipes, since you need to get away fast.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    fleas wrote: »
    ahhhh that makes sense. But for exos I think I rather stick with normal swipes, since you need to get away fast.

I typically start the stab mid air while blinking, and once it lands I run away. Exos are too slow to dodge and if you are moving fast enough, with the exo not looking, you wont take any damage. I have been able to get 2 stabs in one go a few times.
    not sure because of my high ping, but if I do that I definitely get killed around corners. I rather use normal swipes.

Because of the natural that you have to click before you bunny(hop) in, if you go too slow, especially on duals, you die instantly
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Melted many a phasegate with the stab ability, I actually like it, that said... Acid Rocket would be a welcome comeback :smile:
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    How about faster stab animation, but with a cooldown after each stab? I have it in my Evolved mod btw.
    How about faster stab animation, but with a cooldown after each stab? I have it in my Evolved mod btw.

I would be very happy with that
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2016
    fleas wrote: »
    Since no one really uses Stab because, it uses 2x swipe energy as well as takes as long 2 swipes to activate, in which case using normal swipe is more ideal.

"No one" uses it because it is a late game ability, not a lot of people fade, and even fewer understand how powerful stab is (1 hit kill no armor...). I'd also say that it is the hardest skill to use (as you said it prevents blinking, and it has long cooldown) IMO. This and babblers (argh :$).

If you have the luxury of two-swiping a marine, he's either alone, or with one non-shotgun teammate (or many if all-but-about-one is reloading, welding or t****ing themselves; while still having a good position/context), or the marines are really bad (often happen in pubs), or you have umbra. Don't even think about doing that against 2 good shotgunners.

Also AFAIK Stab range is slightly bigger than a regular swipe.

And stabs ensure that the arms lab is a good target to take down, team-offensive-wise, as you would then 1-stab-kill every marine.

But "Does Stab lack something design-wise ?"; I'd definitely believe so. But I still like/appreciate it.
    if im not wrong, stab was designed from the focus ability in ns1(I might be wrong but about the same mechanic w/o the cast time).

No one really uses stab because swipe is more efficient and doesn't get you killed. Because when you start the stab animation, u can't blink anymore and you have to start bunnying towards the marine/exo. I still find 2 swiping more efficient because you can still decide to run away after the first swipe. If you are using stab, you have to really commit because you can't blink. The only thing I can think that stab is useful are the structures as stated by Yojimbo.

Could actually try allowing blink during the cast time, if you still want it to be nerfed because focus swipes are "op"
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    @fleas stab would be strong if you could bunnyhop to marines. You can only walk.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I'm quite certain I've never once used stab outside of pregame.

Fades (like skulks and lerks) are all about mobility. Arguably the most mobile thing in the game. Stab's high risk, moderate reward. Uses fair chunk of energy, makes you stop movement control (even if you master the whole starting it mid-air stuff, you're still going to be more vulnerable for that split second it takes the shotty to lock on to you), and in the end you've just shortened the number of attacks you needed to do to kill a thing.

Armor ignoring is nice, but meh. It's not my job as fade to kill structures, I'm the guy who covers the skulks and gorges shredding the structures.

I'd be more interested if it was as fast as a swipe but had other downsides. Maybe it does no armor damage, but all health damage, maybe the opposite. Acid rocket doesn't fit the fade role in ns2 IMO.
    edited January 2016
    Frozen wrote: »
    @fleas stab would be strong if you could bunnyhop to marines. You can only walk.

you can, but its hard to do it. First get some blink momentum, then while in the air or jumping(bunnying) start the stab and keep jumping(bunnying).

As Calego said, its not worth using stab against players because of the risks.

So hopefully we could maybe change stab to a focus swipe(same energy consumption + cooldown after using instead of before)