[crash] H2O crash [Ver 27989 Jan-2016]

RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
edited January 2016 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Ive had this problem in the Experimental version and but i used to be able to play the stable version of the game just fine. Now that the H2O update occured, both versions of the game is unplayable to me. heres the summary of the problem:

I can log into the game just fine, wether it be on a save file or a new game it does not matter. Roughly one minute or so after i start playing, the game freezes, screen flash a couple time and the screen turns black. I can still hear the game music in the background but windows tells me the game has stopped working. Waiting several minutes doesnt do much good either. sometimes, not always, a message pops up saying that my amd catalyst vid card driver recovered from an unexpected error. At this point i have to close the game or else nothing more happens. In my opinion, ive tried everything thats humanly possible to fix the issue but nothing worked. Heres a list of everything i've tried to fix the issue:

Updating my videocard drivers to to the lastest release
tried the game in all screen resolutions
play the game in windowed mode
tried all the graphics options (minimal, recommended and highest)
tried the -force-d3d9
uninstalled and reinstalled the game

logs:
dxdiag
output_log

While i'll agree that my computer is not a bomb and that my graphic card isnt the best one out there either, theyre both doing awesome running good games out there. Heck, it ran Subnautica just fine till H2O until today (i never could play the Experimental version either that included the h@O graphics) so im sure the problem isnt just on my end, something is very different in this update that made it impossible for my computer to play the game now compared to yesterday that i could play it. if i had good money to spend on a new videocard i would but sadly i dont =/

If anyone got a suggestions id be happy to try it.

Comments

• RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    === UPDATE ===

today coming back from work i decided to try 'n find more solutions for my game constantly crashing on both Stable and Experimental mode. i powered on my computer and then started the game. I created a new game (on Experimental mode) and after roughly 10 mins of gameplay i was completely astonished that the game had'nt crash even once. I closed the game and re-tried once again: No crash then again.

Bottom line i did nothing different than yesterday and today my game havent crashed even once in about 3hrs of gameplay over multiple new games/loading saves.

Is it possible that this -force-d3d9 thing requires a computer reboot to kick in? ... anyway, the game now plays flawlessly on highest graphics with barely any lag, i have no idea why it works today and wasnt yesterday but i wontcomplain for sure and ill keep my fingers crossed that things continues working ""touch wood""
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2016
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    === UPDATE ===

today coming back from work i decided to try 'n find more solutions for my game constantly crashing on both Stable and Experimental mode. i powered on my computer and then started the game. I created a new game (on Experimental mode) and after roughly 10 mins of gameplay i was completely astonished that the game had'nt crash even once. I closed the game and re-tried once again: No crash then again.

Bottom line i did nothing different than yesterday and today my game havent crashed even once in about 3hrs of gameplay over multiple new games/loading saves.

Is it possible that this -force-d3d9 thing requires a computer reboot to kick in? ... anyway, the game now plays flawlessly on highest graphics with barely any lag, i have no idea why it works today and wasnt yesterday but i wontcomplain for sure and ill keep my fingers crossed that things continues working ""touch wood""

There was some changes recently on AMD cards on the experimental branch that might of fixed it.
    27121 2016-01-14 22:48:12 Max McGuire Added a potential work around for AMD issues
  • TechnusgirlTechnusgirl Florida Join Date: 2016-01-16 Member: 211520Members
    It's still not working for me and is worse in experimental mode :-( I've tried the same things. Nothing seems to be helping.
  • garkonizergarkonizer stockholm Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211674Members
    On monday i came home after work and i was going to play, it it crashed when i came direct in to the game like after 1 min o so, then on tuesday i came home after i heard that the new update for the AMD drivers was fixed and i was like yeees now i can play but It worked like 15-20 minutes and i got very happy cuz i thought i was able to play! But then it crashed again, and its the same issue after that.. Love the game so damn much hope its get fixed!
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    We just published an update to Steam which we believe fully addresses this problem on AMD cards.