Upgrade improving.

robotflyrobotfly Virginia Join Date: 2015-07-16 Member: 206185Members
edited January 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
Ok as a first note this idea may come out a little choppy but i hope you can forgive,

So the workbench in the game takes things and add things to them to make them better.
But what if we took a different approach to this, instead of having you craft upgraded items have the workbench craft the upgrades then have a seperat function for it to install the upgrade (much like the moonpool console)

I will add info as i think of it but its midnight and i am sleepy :sleeping:

feel free to hate/debate/berate

Comments

• terraformer004terraformer004 north america, central standard time Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210832Members
    i think that will end up being an unnecessary/annoying feature... but i might be wrong; tell me, why did you feel this feature was necessary?
  • SporkWitchSporkWitch Rochester, NY, USA Join Date: 2016-01-11 Member: 211254Members
    It doesn't make sense for any of the items in question. You're not slotting in a mod on the tanks, you're rebuilding them with either lighter materials, or stronger ones (allowing higher pressure, thus more air in the same space). You're not slotting in a mod on the fins, you're fundamentally changing them, either to a more efficient shape, or to integrate the piezoelectric bits for the charging mechanism.

The workbench is exactly what it seems like: a tool necessary for modifying your existing item. It's not attaching a scope to a rail on an M-16, it's replacing the entire upper receiver and stock.
  • robotflyrobotfly Virginia Join Date: 2015-07-16 Member: 206185Members
    Well I understand where you're going on about I didn't mean just the current items, I just forgot to put it in the main forum, for instance to stasis rifle, modules could be added to it to say improved its efficiency range charge time any number of things I'm not saying changed current items as like you said they already make sense but I'm saying giving the workmen additional functionality because as of right now it is kind of limited
    i think that will end up being an unnecessary/annoying feature... but i might be wrong; tell me, why did you feel this feature was necessary?

I didn't feel it was necessary more just an interesting game play idea, I mean we already have the stuff for the CMOS so why not some of the other tools like this eGlide friend since it could be modified
  • SporkWitchSporkWitch Rochester, NY, USA Join Date: 2016-01-11 Member: 211254Members
    robotfly wrote: »
    Well I understand where you're going on about I didn't mean just the current items, I just forgot to put it in the main forum, for instance to stasis rifle, modules could be added to it to say improved its efficiency range charge time any number of things I'm not saying changed current items as like you said they already make sense but I'm saying giving the workmen additional functionality because as of right now it is kind of limited

That could be potentially interesting, though require a massive rework on systems. As it stands, the items are all distinct with their stats fixed; upgrading them doesn't modify the item, it replaces it with the other version.

What you propose would require building entire systems from the ground up. The easy fix is to make such things reversible. In minecraft you can put 9 iron in to get an iron block, or one iron block in to get 9 iron. You'd have to do the same here, place a "long range stasis rifle" in and get a "stasis rifle" and "stasis rifle range upgrade" out. This would, unfortunately, result in a lot of menu clutter (it works for minecraft since there's no recipe book, you put stuff in and it tells you what you'd get).

Maybe for the far future, but as it stands, the upgrade system as is wouldn't really support it well, and the addition of what you propose would be a pretty huge undertaking.

This is all speaking mechanically. I'm still not sure there's much call for it. They're not weapons, remember, but tools to help you explore. Longer range wouldn't really make much sense. Improving charge time or power efficiency would work fine under the current system, you'd just have to make the decision and stick to it (or build two).
    SporkWitch wrote: »
    robotfly wrote: »

That could be potentially interesting, though require a massive rework on systems. As it stands, the items are all distinct with their stats fixed; upgrading them doesn't modify the item, it replaces it with the other version.

What you propose would require building entire systems from the ground up. The easy fix is to make such things reversible. In minecraft you can put 9 iron in to get an iron block, or one iron block in to get 9 iron. You'd have to do the same here, place a "long range stasis rifle" in and get a "stasis rifle" and "stasis rifle range upgrade" out. This would, unfortunately, result in a lot of menu clutter (it works for minecraft since there's no recipe book, you put stuff in and it tells you what you'd get).

Maybe for the far future, but as it stands, the upgrade system as is wouldn't really support it well, and the addition of what you propose would be a pretty huge undertaking.

This is all speaking mechanically. I'm still not sure there's much call for it. They're not weapons, remember, but tools to help you explore. Longer range wouldn't really make much sense. Improving charge time or power efficiency would work fine under the current system, you'd just have to make the decision and stick to it (or build two).

Yeah I had a feeling it would take a lot of work from the get go, but I'm just stating this is kind of long term goal I do agree it minecraft does it better because of the lack of recipe book I'm just happy you can see where I'm going with this. But we've already seen massive changes in the code itself but I wouldn't be surprised if something like this happened a long time down the road, I mean we've already seen it with the seamoth