Aiming tutorial for Rookies! (And everyone else!)

FearlessJamesFearlessJames Join Date: 2015-12-09 Member: 209849Members
Hiya! I wanted to suggest and idea I had that would help rookies and those who can't aim so much! A continuous aiming tutorial!

Basically,let's say you're marine,the game would probably give you a few tips on positioning and aiming,and then it would spawn aliens like skulks from corners and have them run in random directions!

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL! If you call now,the game will also let you configure the difficulty as well! So if you're on beginner,they'll run in straight lines,but if you're on hard,they'll run in random directions,possibly making sudden turns!

Of course,there would be a tutorial like this for aliens as well,telling you how to dodge incoming fire and positioning!

What do ya think?

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Something that I often see rookies doing is that they continuously fire even when they aren't aiming directly at the aliens, thus wasting their clips very fast. A tutorial for controlled shooting would be very useful imo.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »
    Something that I often see rookies doing is that they continuously fire even when they aren't aiming directly at the aliens, thus wasting their clips very fast. A tutorial for controlled shooting would be very useful imo.

Burst fire is a pretty typical FPS skill in many games.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Nordic wrote: »
    coolitic wrote: »

Burst fire is a pretty typical FPS skill in many games.

It's mostly the recoilless nature of NS2 that lures them into firing full burst :o
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    A map with some preset bot movements would be great. If you could have a human 'actor' to make the movements and have it recorded somehow so a bot could replay the same movement, that would be a pretty amazing tool.

You could even use a tool like that to see if you could "kill yourself" in a sense. Record yourself flying around with the lerk, and then try to shoot the bot mimicking you? What an amazing tool that would be!
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I make every mistake in the book when it comes to playing marine in NS2.

Run in alone.
    Fall too far back when covering the rear.
    Hold the mouse button.
    Completely fail to track any form of movement whatsoever.
    No positional awareness.
    No sense of depth perception for melee.

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot I can do about it, due to my condition. However, rather than raging and hating on the game, I accept that I won't ever be any good at the game, and enjoy the game as best I can.

It's always been this way for me, although admittedly, it is much worse now than it used to be. Hence why I am a big fan of genuine fast paced, no negative effect style shooters (Quake, UT etc). It's not that I am bad, but my playstyle is less of a penalty to my own and others enjoyment.

Incidently, the only multi-player game I have ever been seriously good at was the hidden. For some reason, the playstyle of the hidden fit me like a glove, although, as a marine, against a good hidden I was pretty average, against most hidden players, I was always able to kill them early, then remain as hidden for the rest of the map.

NS2 is so much about the controlled mouse movements, I can be really controlled, then snap, jerking all over the place. I think that is one of the most important principles for rookies to learn. Despite the crazy movement of aliens, generally twitch reactions are not needed, although they can help. Smooth tracking movements are much more important.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    A map with some preset bot movements would be great. If you could have a human 'actor' to make the movements and have it recorded somehow so a bot could replay the same movement, that would be a pretty amazing tool.

You could even use a tool like that to see if you could "kill yourself" in a sense. Record yourself flying around with the lerk, and then try to shoot the bot mimicking you? What an amazing tool that would be!

I was thinking about that the other day. Which would in an engagement more often? My lvl 0 Marine with LMG or no upgrades skulk. Who would win if I applied different upgrades? Can I juke myself out?
  • FearlessJamesFearlessJames Join Date: 2015-12-09 Member: 209849Members
    Also,maybe there can be a mode where they fire back at you,to teach players how to aim in the heat of battle. However,you won't actually die,they'll stop firing once your "health" reaches 0 and a message will come up saying "You died!" and maybe give you tips based on previous performance like "Try to shoot in bursts instead of wasting ammo."
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2016
    I think most people don't need to practice aiming as much as they need to practice movement (especially for aliens, but also for marines), situational awareness, target selection and focus, and strategic thought (applying pressure where it would hurt most).

You can practice aiming in any FPS.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Like some have said, Aiming is only a little part of what makes players good at NS2, you could shoot at 30%+ acc all the time, but if your position is off, you will get punished for it.

Same can be said you can shoot just below 20% but have really high KDR because your position is good.

Off course tracking your targets and landing your shots helps alot, but makes no difference if your getting killed because you can only land 60-90 damage because of bad positioning.

I would like to see a basic tutorial on positioning and lanes. So often rookies want to be right on walk up to the hive, tunnel, or onos to shoot it. Distance has a distinct advantage. Lanes are a bit more complicated but a basic tutorial might be nice.