Location name on the map that can be translated?

axamdeepaxamdeep Shanghai, China Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72226Members, Squad Five Blue
Recently, there are more and more new Chinese players come into NS2.
And many of them want to see the location names (e.g Repair Room, Lava Falls, Sub Access) in Chinese, that's why I'm posting here.
We have translated the game, but did not find a position that can translate location names of a map.

So, dear Developers can you help us to make this?

Comments

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    While I agree with you on that, I'm pretty sure you could go through a mod to do it. Will not solve the issue unless you make this mod mandatory on your servers so everyone will have to download it. Again, it doesn't really solve your problem but that's a temporary solution until and if developers fulfill your wish.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    According to the rules of translation for NS2, Locations, Lifeforms and Buildings/Abilities do not get translated. The idea is that people can join any server, and would at least understand the core parts of the game, even if they don't speak the language of the server that is being played on.

I think something like this could only ever appear as a mod. As an additional note, I am not sure if Chinese characters are supported by the engine or not, they may be, I really don't know.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    According to the rules of translation for NS2, Locations, Lifeforms and Buildings/Abilities do not get translated. The idea is that people can join any server, and would at least understand the core parts of the game, even if they don't speak the language of the server that is being played on.

I think something like this could only ever appear as a mod. As an additional note, I am not sure if Chinese characters are supported by the engine or not, they may be, I really don't know.

I seem to recall there being new characters added a while back to open up more of the characterset.

Would a mod need to replace the entire map, or just the overlay and entity names somehow? @Flaterectomy /other MTs, do you know these things?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2016
    Calego wrote: »
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

I seem to recall there being new characters added a while back to open up more of the characterset.

Would a mod need to replace the entire map, or just the overlay and entity names somehow? @Flaterectomy /other MTs, do you know these things?

Nah what's being requested can be done via a lookup table in lua. No need for mappers to do anything.

I'll see what i can do as i can understand the reasoning behind this request.