Age and Genders of Species and Possible Effects Variations

TheRelicOfOwlsTheRelicOfOwls Texas Join Date: 2016-01-06 Member: 211014Members
So I had this idea after going through PeterManize's post on breeding.

What if each species of fish had unique appearances/effects/interactions between their genders and age? Some immature fish could have various defense mechanisms like electrocution, poison clouds, spikes, etc. Some female fish that are pregnant could have similar effects for protecting their young, or make the sea-horse of the group and make the male of a species carry babies around!

This would add a whole new level of depth to a game that, at it's core, is all about exploration and understanding a brand new world. Having sexual dimorphism (differences between the genders other than reproductive organs) would give the player more things to be mindful of in their environment, certain rules of behavior to each creature and their circumstances.

The different age of a fish could also determine how much food or water is given from them, or even if they are edible at all. Maybe immature gasopods can be eaten as they haven't developed their poison yet, maybe airsacks don't have the benefit of being used to make drinkable water until they are mature, and maybe immature peepers are a little more dangerous than their passive matured counter parts that just swim away.

This concept can also be applied to the egg stages of the same species, perhaps some species' eggs are mobile, maybe some are burried, some attach to their parents, or some can defend themselves when in clusters, or have some nest designed to protect them (similar to the flowers crashes are in).

I just feel like adding depth to the fish of the world could make everything that's already in the game have more replay value and take longer to explore and learn about without adding a ton of new items all the time.

Side note: I would love to see some of those flying creatures have an immature form where they are born in the water and then mature into their flying form. :smiley:

Comments