[Bug report] Server browser: sorting by skill

KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
Hi,

There is a bug in the way server are sorted by skills: (order on my screen)

Weaker to stronger:
vn57hcepaiv8.png
Stronger to weaker:
ggrfmrl5q21u.png

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Am I blind or is it not obvious what I'm looking at, because I don't see anything wrong here
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    The skills should be sorted as follow:
    1. ">>" Greatly stronger than you
    2. ">" Stronger than you
    3. "=" Same skill as you
    4. "<" Weaker
    5. "<<" Mostly weaker

And not
    1. "=" Same skill as you
    2. "<" Weaker
    3. "<<" Mostly weaker
    4. ">>" Greatly stronger than you
    5. "<<" Mostly weaker

At least that's how I think it should be.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    yes indeed "Hellarious Basterds" Server is not sorted correctly in this example. The server should be at the bottom / top.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Isn't the idea to list the servers matching your Hive rating first as those should, in theory, be the best for you?
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Yes it is, but for that we would need to rename the skill column, or add an other sort option.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Oooh I see it now, I guess I was blind
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I still think it's working as intended. It's sorting the servers by how well they match your rating.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    SupaFred wrote: »
    I still think it's working as intended. It's sorting the servers by how well they match your rating.

Even by that sort definition, it's not really sorting correctly. Look closer at the red servers: The servers that have way less skill than you should be at the bottom / top. Not somewhere in between those that have more skill than you.
    It doesn't matter if they are rated higher or lower than your own hive rating. The idea is to list the servers closest to your own hive score first.
    edited December 2015
    SupaFred wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if they are rated higher or lower than your own hive rating. The idea is to list the servers closest to your own hive score first.

Ah I see. Thats pretty counterintuitive though, as a software engineer that is... If you sort by "skill" column it's supposed to sort descending or ascending the value it represents, not by absolute difference imo.
    The servers you highlighted have an average hive rating far from your own and therefore they are at the bottom of the list.