Torsion Anchor / tool-based construction harpoon ( + model concept in multiple file formats. )

Ruslan_DRRuslan_DR probably terrorizing tourists along the coast. Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210578Members
edited January 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
PLEASE NOTE; this is both a tool and a weapon - Just like the knife.

87611df163.jpg

So me and a friend had a little chat on more possible weapons which everyone seems to want, I started with "You know what? They're going to eventually put in a harpoon gun, you know they are. you can't have a sea game without a harpoon gun."

Then I stopped, thought, and took it a step further.... The devs are a fan of unique, interesting looking ideas or tools, and if the game's anything to go by, I'd say that's true.

So then I thought. What if you take a....

double barrel shotgun + harpoon gun + grapple/reel functionality + propulsion cannon + advanced functions (that will be discussed later on after I've explained it all.)?

Due to it's functionality, players should be able to fire both harpoons, one at a time each.

Well you get a Torsion anchor, as I like to call it. The idea stemmed from my friend saying "I sure hope it doubles as a grapple similar to that of just cause 3." So I thought; Okay, how do we make that functionally similar, yet entirely different so it doesn't look like a ripoff?

Because of the inherent usefulness of this multitool, it needs to be somewhat difficult to make, or have flaws that can be fixed through multiple upgrades such as diamond-reinforced steel cables, preventing snapping.

Why's it called a torsion anchor? Because it can anchor things, and uses torsion (rotational force) in the form of a reel with steel wire on both it's ends. as it turns, both ends shorten and apply tension to their attached objects.

How it works;
The player can fire both harpoons, one at a time, or fire one and reel in the target. Alternatively, if the target weighs more than the player (Leviathan, reefback, etc.) they will be dragged TOWARD the target, so a little logic needs to be applied. This also includes the ground, so It can be used in similar fashion to a grapple. AS it will be a combination of both compressed air and electronics powering it and it's torsion reel, I am somewhat torn on whether or not to make it use batteries. I think perhaps a solar-powered version should be implemented later on, as there's a lot of space where panels could go on the gun, such as atop the struts or between the barrels on the structural crossbeams. Also, due to the way it is designed the reel is meant to slide off the front of the gun, and will always be directly between one harpoon and the next. I.E. if one is fired, then it will be halfway between harpoon and gun.

Not sure of what the maximum range should be, but I think it should be decently far.... say, 20 meters? I don't really know yet.

TL;DR; essentially, the gun can do many things, but functionally it does two things when you first get it, in regards to how the player controls it;

1. It can fire one harpoon and reel in
2. It can fire one, and then the other, then those two objects can be reeled together.
3. due to it's design (pistol grip + arm-brace) it cannot be knocked out from your hand when fighting an enemy of sorts, such as those eels in the UV mushroom caverns. This can later be mitigated by adding a knife or other attachable tool to fend them off with it still attached.

It is be going to be able to do a plethora of other things, making it a very good general use item;

As a Torsion anchor, it is good for;
- pulling and moving objects out of the way, such as large stones.
- Anchoring things so they don't float away. This should be useable on the cyclops only with a "Mag Head" sub-modification that attaches really strong neodymium magnets to the heads of the harpoons.

As a weapon, it can be used to;
- Harpoon and cook small and medium sized fauna (assuming it has a thermal tip modification)
- harpoon and reel in small and medium sized fish.
- Pin, or otherwise anchor large predators so they don't annoy you while you work, or to prevent them from getting their hands on you. This is by no means an OP tool, as you can only fire one anchor at a time, and as a result something can just as easily sneak up behind you.

Extra details*
- Due to it's inherent firing mechanism of compressed gas, going deeper can substantially increase projectile velocity, and damage. However, this also means that going TOO deep could cause it to explode, as a possibility.
- infinite amounts of shots. Once torsion anchors are retrieved (you can carry multiple), the gun recharges using a built in compressor, ready for the next shot.

The weapon/tool model (very rough) can be seen and downloaded below;

3fac16a0e7.png

f41ce7f616.jpg

b0d03b2d59.jpg

0962fe9e96.jpg

573502d4f7.png

* Personal note here, I am not happy with how the body/frame area came out (bit that the air tanks are on top of.)

I didn't spend too much time on it as it is only a concept, and it's not like it has a 100% chance of being added either. sorry if it's a little oversized (which it no doubt is.) but I didn't have a reference size for a person when modeling. Either way it's easy enough to re-size a model to scale to a person, apply a few changes. Hopefully this shouldn't be too big an issue. additionally, the arm-straps will need to be remodeled, and the steel wire will need to be modeled in by the devs, mainly because rope and wire style objects behave differently in games depending on code. Some are attached at two points and just follow them on both ends, etc, some interact with collision meshes, some don't.

https://dropbox.com/sh/zvjojkh28hucz4m/AAANIIW_lJG1WyX2xv0MDfDKa?dl=0

And yes, I am giving the devs 100% freedom to use and change this model in any way they see fit, including the addition of it as content, which I understand will be sold commercially. Just working to help add things to the game, not looking for a massive payout, not going to try and sue anyone, so don't worry about that.

Game-wise, I only just got it about two days ago but am already completely in love with this, fully.

Comments

• MirryonMirryon Canada Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210829Members
    Nice concept, I was wondering about a harpoon gun myself recently because "you can't have a sea game without a harpoon gun" ;)
    Wow, for a rough concept art project, that model is pretty sweet. That being said, I have the 3D modelling skills of a gibbon, so my praise isn't worth all that much! XD

"got it about two days ago but am already completely in love with this"
    Amen, brother.
  • Ruslan_DRRuslan_DR probably terrorizing tourists along the coast. Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210578Members
    well, when all you had to model as a beginner was a mouse trackpad and a laptop (and thus many hand cramps.) getting a mouse tends to make things at least a little easier. AS for the whole harpoon thing;

A; it's a harpoon.

B; I figured out numerous ways to make it useful through mods, through safe-for-hull magnets as anchors and for picking up scrap metal, to heated tips that act like a heated blade, and even just a general use for pinning down large creatures to aid your escape. Of course a later mod COULD kill them, but for the most part it's a construction harpoon, thusly the three prongs. It's for anchoring things.

It could all in all help along with the experience, and would be useful for individuals who have their subs and life pods floating off to god knows where!

as for the work, eh, for something that rough it took me about two hours. I do like to make things at least fairly detailed when they're rough, but of course it's free to be refined. My design seems more industrial than the clean, rounded designs of the propulsion cannon, and other such tools. It more closely resembles the welder's sharper edges I suppose.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Love the idea of a harpoon/anchor

But people will fight it because this is supposed to be a "non-violent game" despite all the things trying to violently destroy you.
  • Ruslan_DRRuslan_DR probably terrorizing tourists along the coast. Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210578Members
    @04Leonhardt

not sure why I didn't respond to this before, but yeah I understand the sentiment. Like the knife, it's primary purpose is to be a tool instead of a weapon so I kinda nerfed it on some capabilities, it's big, heavy, (might take up like, six slots.) unwieldy, slow-firing, and i'm pondering on changing the design some because it seems to me without side venting slots at the end of the barrels, it might propel you backwards through the water when fired if i don't due to it's inherent design.

So, it's useful as more of a construction type thing, so I changed the topic title to more accurately reflect it.
  • IDTiaIDTia New York Join Date: 2016-01-04 Member: 210874Members
    Seems a bit too complicated and impractical. Just kinda makes me think... Why?
    edited January 2016
    IDTia wrote: »
    Seems a bit too complicated and impractical. Just kinda makes me think... Why?

well, A; harpoon :V

B; because it is essentially a unique tether with similar mechanics to just cause 2/3 without ripping it off. I took the time and effort to put it together because I figured it could add a little more fun while actually being practical. It's one of those ideas that's unpractical until it's actually implemented. It sounds complex but it's not. Essentially it does four, maybe five things.

1. act as a grappling hook
    2. for catching and reeling in small fish
    3. tether two objects together, useful as an anchor.
    4. move heavy objects like rocks the propulsion gun CAN'T out of the way.
    5. pin larger creatures like the reaper down so that you can make an escape if particularily injured or something. Once the AI of enemies is improved in the long run this would prove to be rather necessary.

in essence it's just really a useful seeming tool once you've thought it over, but for it's design it has to be impractical or people would be encouraged to use it as a weapon against everything. This is not it's main purpose.
  • IDTiaIDTia New York Join Date: 2016-01-04 Member: 210874Members
    Currently, each tool has one job, be it make light, build stuff, weld stuff, cut stuff, freeze stuff, push stuff, or grab stuff. Each tool is specific to one job. When there are already acceptable alternatives to do all the things listed.

For a grappling hook, not really practical when you have tools such as the Sea Glide on hand, and can simply swim to the spot. The opposite on the other hand, putting down an anchor and being able to quickly bring yourself back to it, like the Dive Reel system, is something I personally would like to see.

For catching small fish that you can easily swim up to and catch, there are already alternatives, such as breeding them in captivity with the large tank, Gravity ball to collect them together, Stasis Rifle to freeze them in place so you can just pick them up, or even the Propulsion Cannon can grab them. In the experimental build, you get a log message regarding eating the fish.
    2cbe555019.png
    Though it is still the experimental version, I'd like to think that the character would indeed be disgusted by the idea of hunting and killing animals for food, but has no other choice.

As for tethering objects, there's not really anything to facilitate the need of that, maybe if currents are added.

As for moving objects, the Repulsion Cannon is waaaay too powerful, and plus you can just attach a bunch of Floaters to it.

As for large creatures, you have the Stasis Rifle, Repulsion Cannon, and the Vortex Torpedo are able to fill that niche. The Repulsion Cannon does make the Reaper flinch.

Also, from a developer standpoint, that would be a lot of effort and focus to implement all those functions onto a single entity that is balanced, not buggy, and appropriate to the context of the game. That's a lot of effort that could be better spent in other areas of the game for the foreseeable future.

Simple ideas with simple applications are the most constructive thing. Nobodies idea or suggestion is going to be implemented fully, but to make the developers think about something, make them consider something, and then maybe they can take it off the ground from there.

I'm just being a Devil's Advocate though.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    IDTia wrote: »
    2cbe555019.png

Ok this makes me laugh

edited January 2016
    agreed, that's genuinely amusing. At first I thought it was an image error like you get for a photobucket image when it's been removed.

But ah well, 'twas just an idea. I suppose it's not as necessary as I once thought but it was still fun to model if nothing else.

EDIT- Actually yes AND no.

The reason I wanted this to be so hard to build is that it's one tool that covers the jobs of all the things you just listed. It's supposed to be an endgame item that can be refitted and adapted to multiple uses. Why? Because let's face it, you aren't going to be carrying ALL those things around at once. Not only that but you may not have your seamoth literally on-hand when you need it. This attempts to rectify the problem as well. It saves inventory space while providing a plethora of useful functions.

I get it, though. Most tools only provide one function, and some like the knife will still be necessary. Unless you say incorporate a knife sticking out of this design somewhere you probably can't cut things like creeper vines. For fast movement, the seaglide is agreeably great underwater, but say you're on the floating island and would like to climb the hill on it swiftly? It's still air powered, so it'll still work.

In all, it combines many existing features from many existing tools, while bringing a small number of improvements, so it's already more or less balanced itself out. plus it looks cool. :3

It's further balanced out by the fact that unlike the propulsion gun and knife, it's uses are limited in the tethering department, as it uses up "Torsion anchors" when you fire both. Yes, they are retrievable but they take up more space, though you should only ever need two, one for pulling things too heavy for the propulsion gun out of your way, and the second for tethering.

(Also, no, currents don't justify a need for a sub anchor, as multiple people have experienced problems with the subs and life pod right now, where they frequently drift when not in use.)

There's some pros and some cons, really it all depends on what the devs think. I don't completely dismiss your points though, you've got some good ones.

as for other concerns you may have. many tools already have multiple jobs. The welder does fix hulls, but it fixes them on multiple things, base and subs.
    Likewise, the knife was both a weapon and a tool, the propulsion gun can pick up objects for you or launch them at things.

Basically, what someone made apparent is the devs want people to think with what they have, so what if you give a decent amount of purposes to one tool? you'll generally have to figure out what they all do and they won't be the most obvious thing.