Shadow Gorge as a DLC

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Pelargir wrote: »
    Then what about the other Reinforcement perks? Well, are missing in this pack the other Marine armor (Elite Assault Marine), shadow Gorge and Lerk, supporter badge, taunt and UWE secret project access.

The last 3 will never be available on Steam

Maybe 2 of them will never be on steam, but I am pretty sure one is...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/264710/
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Then what about the other Reinforcement perks? Well, are missing in this pack the other Marine armor (Elite Assault Marine), shadow Gorge and Lerk, supporter badge, taunt and UWE secret project access.

The last 3 will never be available on Steam

Maybe 2 of them will never be on steam, but I am pretty sure one is...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/264710/

Only UWE can confirm. But you're probably right.

• FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Pelagir: If you read everything in my post you'd see I already acknowledged that I know what Hugh was talking about, what my ENTIRE point is, is that the wording already used on the old reinforcement page, when you take it all in context with Hugh's post is that Shadow Fade & Onos belong exclusively to the Shadow Tier and will not be sold again in any format (confusing yes as they've never actually been sold as they don't exist yet). Hugh could not post 'All other Reinforcement Program perks will be retired.' and sell the Fade/Onos as a new pack when the reinforcement page said 'Shadow Lifeform Skins'. I'd expect to get them for free for Shadow Tier, I would not expect them to be sold, call it lame, but exclusivity is a big deal. I've got no problem with totally brand new skins of a different theme coming out for general sale, but not Shadow Tier.
  • ghostdlrghostdlr Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205950Members
    edited January 2016
    20 $ for the shadow gorge like someone suggested is too much :dizzy:

Reaper pack is available for 3 EURO now and includes skins for all life forms . They are not as cute as the shadow gorge though .
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/310100/
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    ghostdlr wrote: »

Reaper pack is available for 3 EURO now and includes skins for all life forms . They are not as cute as the shadow gorge though .

Shadow Gorge is more than just a retexture like the reaper stuff, it had a whole new model made for it, as well as shadow gorge structures having different models and textures as well.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff

Shadow Gorge is more than just a retexture like the reaper stuff, it had a whole new model made for it, as well as shadow gorge structures having different models and textures as well.

Either way, that would be double the NS2 price. :p
    You can't charge more for a DLC than for the game itself :D .
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    You can't charge more for a DLC than for the game itself :D .

Sorry to math you here but in free to play games you pay infinitely more than the cost of the game
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    FoxyUK wrote: »
    FoxyUK wrote: »
    $
    That's exactly my point. I couldn't get the black armour because I was out of the gaming scene for a while around pre-alpha. If I'd had a PC of any description at the time, or had someone reliable who could have pre-purchased for me, I'd have had black armour without a doubt. I can't get it and never will, that's the way it is. I was never around for the launch of NS2 so I wasn't one of the few to be able to get Reinforced Onos when it was available, so I got the next best thing, Shadow. IMO, Shadow skins are for the Shadow tier purchasers just as the black armour is for the pre-purchase backers.

Unlike the pre-purchase donors, Reinforced contributors never got told about Reinforcement pack stuff being available only and only if you contribute through this program. Reinforced program isn't some kind of exclusive and elitist program that no one could ever join after the program shut down, or at least, it was never explicitly meant to be working this way.

I disagree. The shadow page showed the following:

shadow.png

Note 'Shadow Lifeforms Skins' not 'Shadow Skulk, Gorge & Lerk'

Also Hugh said in this post:
    Hugh wrote:
    First and foremost, the Reinforcement Pack must recognise that those that purchased Shadow, Silver, or any other tier paid much more than $6. So it cannot contain the best stuff. No Shadow Lerk or Shadow Gorge, no Elite Assault Marine, and absolutely no in-game or forum badges of any kind. Instead, it would contain only:

Shadow Skulk (only, no other Shadow lifeforms)
    Standard Shoulder Decal
    Standard Assault Marine
    Expanded Soundtrack
    All other Reinforcement Program perks will be retired.

And whilst yes, the Shadow Fade and Onos were never part of the Shadow tier specifically, they are still in fact, a Shadow lifeform skin and therefore should only be available to you if you have Reinforced Shadow. Just to be clear, I'm not saying that the shadow skins would be sold off cheap at $6, I'm saying that the precedent for what is and is not Shadow Tier has already been set, albeit a while ago.

TL;DR

Reinforced Shadow perk is 'Shadow Lifeforms Skins'
    Hugh said that the best stuff cannot be sold as cheap DLC
    Hugh also said that all other Reinforcement perks are retired
    Therefore, Shadow Lifeforms cannot be purchased but only added to Reinforced Shadow.

This is my interpretation.

Defence rests, your honour.

I recall the shadow skulk being promised to those who preordered we were supposed to get a black marine skin which we got and a black skulk skin that never occurred. So if we really want to get down to what was promised then I think only those that preordered should get the shadow skulk and no one else.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Black is not Shadow. Black is black. Shadow is shadow.
    Black skulk would be imba as a f##K btw.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hmm, I can't seem to recall anything about a black Skulk skin :worried:
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    I recall the shadow skulk being promised to those who preordered we were supposed to get a black marine skin which we got and a black skulk skin that never occurred. So if we really want to get down to what was promised then I think only those that preordered should get the shadow skulk and no one else.

And I'd probably agree with you if Shadow skulks weren't already on the market.

• RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    hmm unfortunatly i did not know anything about the game until 2012 or 2013. So i was never able to pre-order the game. But however i am not mad about this because i understand the fact that there should be a exclusive gift for people who helped UWE in the early times.

Although i love the black armor and would spend my monthly wage for it :smiley: i can accept that i will never be able to get it. Maybe rantology can reskin it and bring it back in an other dlc?

The problem i have with the new skins like tundra storm is that they have all the same 3d-Model. I already own the deluxe-armor and a reskin is not the best inducement to buy it.

I don't own the black armor, so a reskin would be much more interesting for me and some other users

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Rammler wrote: »
    hmm unfortunatly i did not know anything about the game until 2012 or 2013. So i was never able to pre-order the game. But however i am not mad about this because i understand the fact that there should be a exclusive gift for people who helped UWE in the early times.

Although i love the black armor and would spend my monthly wage for it :smiley: i can accept that i will never be able to get it. Maybe rantology can reskin it and bring it back in an other dlc?

The problem i have with the new skins like tundra storm is that they have all the same 3d-Model. I already own the deluxe-armor and a reskin is not the best inducement to buy it.

I don't own the black armor, so a reskin would be much more interesting for me and some other users

Its been discussed and stated IIRC by rantology herself that she won't make any new skins that are similar to the black edition armor. That is that.
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Rammler wrote: »

Its been discussed and stated IIRC by rantology herself that she won't make any new skins that are similar to the black edition armor. That is that.

Okay, sorry. Did not know that. :wink:
  • 3X4L73X4L7 Join Date: 2014-06-13 Member: 196510Members
    edited January 2016
    New UWE seems pretty bent on winning over new players by selling the perks of being a longtime player. Black armor, shadow tier skins, if all the investments of the oldest fans keep getting sold for cheap later on it sets a precedent to any future support people may do. With the rate of how the oldest players are being devalued I fully expect constellation and ns1 badges being sold for a quick buck as well. /endbitterfanboymode

I said the same about Black armor when Shadow skulk (reinforcement) DLC came out. I hope the $75 shadow skin skulks aren't butt hurt...I would be. A shame if you consider some of them may really had thought they were being rewarded gracefully for their donation to bring us all DLC to enjoy. :::shakes head:::

I'll donate to have an offical option to force all skins to vanilla. PLEASE?
  • _Grendel__Grendel_ Join Date: 2015-05-07 Member: 204238Members
    edited January 2016
    FYI, I saw something that looks a lot like a shadow Onos model on the combat Discord. There doesn't really seem to be any info though on what it's for. Anyone know?
    _Grendel_ wrote: »
    FYI, I saw something that looks a lot like a shadow Onos model on the combat Discord. There doesn't really seem to be any info though on what it's for. Anyone know?

As you said, for Combat. http://i.imgur.com/qYEs1OE.jpg?1
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    is the shadow onos for combat?
    That's what I was going to ask. Is it just a model their art guy made or is it actually going into the game?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    We're still planning on getting the shadow onos and shadow fade in ns2. It's just really slow going as we don't have a dedicated art guy in the team here -- we're kind of at the mercy of our volunteers' time. Last I heard, the shadow onos model was done, and (possibly) textured, there was just some hiccup about rigging it so it works with existing onos animations. As for shadow fade, it's still just a concept, as the modeller who did shadow onos is swamped with other work and cannot devote any time to it atm. :(
    I'm still slightly confused. Is the model posted on combat's discord a different model than the one you are talking about?
    edited January 2016
    I'm still slightly confused. Is the model posted on combat's discord a different model than the one you are talking about?

Yes, the one you're talking about might be in Combat in a couple of patches (far from being certain though). It's a different model from the NS2 vanilla game version. Dunno what it looks like at this regard since no picture has leaked so far. One of the downsides not having Combat devs working on NS2, things would go smoother and faster unfortunately.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2016

Yes, the one you're talking about will be added in Combat in a couple of patches. It's a different model from the NS2 vanilla game version. Dunno what it looks like at this regard since no picture has leaked so far. One of the downsides not having Combat devs working on NS2, things would go smoother and faster unfortunately.

The model that was posted at the combat discord is exactly the shadow onos! We (back then the CDT) contacted the combat developers due to a lack of own artist to create the shadow models for us as contract work.
    edited January 2016

Yes, the one you're talking about will be added in Combat in a couple of patches. It's a different model from the NS2 vanilla game version. Dunno what it looks like at this regard since no picture has leaked so far. One of the downsides not having Combat devs working on NS2, things would go smoother and faster unfortunately.

The model that was posted at the combat discord is exactly the shadow onos! We (back then the CDT) contacted the combat developers due to a lack of own artist to create the shadow models for us as contract work.

Would be good to be on the same wavelength with the others in the dev team because Beige didn't really say the same thing lol.

EDIT: To make this clear, this shadow Onos model made by Combat dev won't be used on NS2, maybe on Combat one day but not now, that's for sure.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited February 2016
    Were the reinforcement packages on offer before or after the game was released? I can't remember.

PS: "Sorry to math you here but in free to play games you pay infinitely more than the cost of the game " - relatively, not absolutely.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Were the reinforcement packages on offer before or after the game was released? I can't remember.

PS: "Sorry to math you here but in free to play games you pay infinitely more than the cost of the game " - relatively, not absolutely.

Reinforcement program started with the reinforcement patch, the second major patch after release (IIRC), August 2013. Game was released October 31, 2012. :)
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Crikey, I'm getting old(er). The working title for NS3 will have to be 'NS3 - The hippist thing for 40 year olds since the first Perfect Circle album"

Well, I guess it then comes down to what the EULA states customers can expect and UWE can do with future product release. Pretty sure exclusivity remains in the domain of the developer, not the customer, sadly for those who contributed so much, so kindly.

Wouldn't a good compromise be the Shadow Tier customers receive any new specifically 'Shadow' models for free, whilst the rest of us restless hoi polloi have to pay for individual Shadow skins?