System Requirements

PhantomgamingPhantomgaming Kolkata, west bengal, India. Join Date: 2015-12-24 Member: 210255Members
is subnautica's system requirements are gonna update? if yes, please don't make it too high end. A lot of people are gonna play this game around the globe and it'll be hard to upgrade the system after buying it, so please don't make the system requirements more high end, everything is perfect for now, now what we only need is a mp mod

Comments

• paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    it would be nice if some optimizing could be done to reduce the video requirements
  • SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
    edited December 2015
    Have a thread on my mac crashing because of this matter (i think).

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/139652/game-crashes-at-startup#latest

Minor Sidenote: any ideas?
  • jadvisionessjadvisioness Pacific Northwest Join Date: 2020-09-11 Member: 263899Members
    is subnautica's system requirements are gonna update? if yes, please don't make it too high end. A lot of people are gonna play this game around the globe and it'll be hard to upgrade the system after buying it, so please don't make the system requirements more high end, everything is perfect for now, now what we only need is a mp mod

Need some help. I have a brand new Ideapad Gaming 3 laptop. Right out of the box, nothing really loaded on it nor running while playing Subnautica and... the external battery gets VERY HOT and so does the laptop itself. I have a cooling pad and run Core Temp 1.16. Every time I play, the core temp app tells me that at least two cores always exceed their max temp (about 200 degrees F.) Is this laptop not capable of playing Subnautica? I've checked the sites for the requirements and believe that it should be fine but... I'm more of a software person.

It does well with Trailmakers, Minecraft Dungeons Windows 10, and No Man's Sky (Xbox for PC pass) so far.

Laptop specs are scribbled in yellow highlighter (middle column).

Thanks so much for all the help, I really appreciate it!!

hxo130ojaaf2.jpg
  • WickedMickWickedMick Denmark Join Date: 2020-11-01 Member: 265131Members
    edited November 2020
    Need some help. I have a brand new Ideapad Gaming 3 laptop. Right out of the box, nothing really loaded on it nor running while playing Subnautica and... the external battery gets VERY HOT and so does the laptop itself. I have a cooling pad and run Core Temp 1.16. Every time I play, the core temp app tells me that at least two cores always exceed their max temp (about 200 degrees F.) Is this laptop not capable of playing Subnautica? I've checked the sites for the requirements and believe that it should be fine but... I'm more of a software person.

Not trying to be elitist here, but I always scoff at the notion of "gaming laptop" They simply don't have the space for proper airflow, and retailers, I feel, is cheating people calling a laptop a gamer. Sure, they may have the hardware, but if you can't utilise said hardware, what good is it? There are for sure exceptions out there, but in general.

Also, how do you manage to get a temp of 200 Fahrenheit when modern cpu's are designed to shut down before they reach that temp? (The treshold is about 194 Fahrenheit for shutdown) And you ever get that kind of temp, you should stop using the computer, as temp's that high can and will damage your hardware.

There's a good number of reasons why CPU cores overheat.

The airflow vents on laptops often clog up with dust, because they are so small. Getting a can of canned air can help remedy this, sometimes. Depending on how clogged it is and how well the dust is clinging. Hold the can at least 10-15cm from the vent, and try spray out the dust, and always use the straw that comes with these cans. Sometimes a brush with natural hairs, i.e. horse or marten hair for example, can do the trick if slim and long enough. Don't use brushes with synthetic hair on computers as they can cause static electricity. It should be noted, that despite using a cooling pad, clogged air vents will still overheat a laptop.

If your CPU cooler isn't properly seated, it won't cool, but on the contrary the air space inbetween a cpu cooler not properly seated and the cpu itself, is a perfect conductor for heat build-up.

Which leads to the same mechanic if your heat paste isn't properly applied. Too much air between the cooling block and the cpu, either from badly applied paste or too much paste is no good.

The other games you play, where this doesn't happen, might not be as cpu intensive as Subnautica, hence why you might not get the same kind of temp's there. But if your computer is totally new, I would ask in the store for a free checkup of your cpu and cpu cooler+paste. There is no reason whatsoever, that subnautica should cause so much cpu heat. It might have come loose during transport. Even your battery might be at fault, if it has an defect (this is very dangerous if so, due to fire hazard) You check if it is the battery, by removing it, and use the power chord instead. If it still does the heat buil-up, it isn't the battery.

Finally, you sure that it is the cpu overheating the laptop case, or could it be you gpu + gpu cooler which heats up the system? Subnautica, at least on my computer, is more gpu intensive than cpu.

Have you looked in BIOS if that cpu Turbo Boost is turned on? If so, you might wanna disable that, and see if that helps anything. Also, while in BIOS, check the fan controllers. Are they even spinning up when playing? Can you hear the fan when it reaches those high temp's, which you should be able to hear? If not, the fan speeds in BIOS and the circumstances where they should turn on, might not have the correct settings.

As you can see, there can be a lot of reasons why a cpu overheats (and I haven't covered them all) So I hope you get it sorted, knowing that Subnautica shouldn't be so cpu intensive to cause such problems, unless your laptop isn't as good as advertised...

Regards.

• jandersjanders Join Date: 2020-12-23 Member: 266259Members

I agree with that, but you know upgrading the game is necessary to make available the users advanced experience. To upgrade to the latest technology, it is necessary to upgrade the system requirements. The versions that is advanced than the previous will definitely need advanced system requirements. It is to provide the users better user experience.