Should there be two main versions of NS2 to free up changes?

Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
edited December 2015 in NS2 General Discussion
There is already a comp mod for NS2 competitive play. Going forward, since this game could use fun things added to the game to keep people playing....why not add two different main modes of play (could just be mods/servers). My proposal is if you make an update to the general game - it doesn't affect servers that are running the competitive version of the game. An update now I believe could disrupt the balance of the game or something that would throw off competitive NS2. Correct me if I'm wrong if this doesn't happen currently.

People might think this already exists since we have the comp mod. The issue is, the comp mod isn't immune to changes to the vanilla game. Changes to vanilla (depending on the change) can still affect the competitive version of the game unless the comp mod is updated. With this new system, it could free up creative ideas and allow for adding fun things to the game. People may think the vanilla game shouldn't to be too different from the comp game, but the comp mod is already different from the normal game - just go a step further and make a separation to allow for fun updates.

If there was updates to the vanilla version that was wanted in competitive - the comp mod could be updated to make the changes. That way competitive servers would not be updated immediately after a build update and people could get a feel for the updates first.

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Would be a bit difficult since they decided to remove the build system.

However, I guess we can have the old beta versions again for testing new ideas and then having the stuff that works be implemented into the main game.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    Yeah the concern is if more of the upcoming updates are not centered on performance and more on other things - there is more potential that these changes will disrupt competitive play. I think there should be a safety net for that, but still allow this game to add fun new things to try/improve.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    Depending on how they set up the new workshop like updating system, there could be two branches of the game. A Live branch which uses the rapid iteration system to stay always up to date and a Stable branch that updates once a week or every two weeks. If they can do it without duplicating much of the core assets to keep filespaces down of course.

As in both of these being accessible in the client so server hosts can choose if they want to run either one without diminishing playercounts. It would also be better for the tournament scene as they could schedule around updates.
    edited December 2015
    Yes, that could work. It would still require comp mod to be updated every week or two weeks a lot of the time to address potential balancing issues or too strong of changes during a season. At least that would give comp mod some time to make the updates, but comp mod would have to be constantly reviewed/looked at for changes.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can't see this working and i don't even understand why people are considering it at this point.
    At this point the community consists of a couple of dozen people, not even enough to fill official playtesting positions.
    Splitting that small community, again, won't do anything good at all.

In the worst case it might end up killing the game for good. Because all the regulars/competitive players will move on to the "current beta branch" while all the new players/casuals will be stuck with the "official release build", in essence fragmenting what little is left of the community.
    edited December 2015
    ^ - I think it actually would be the opposite. I would think veterans/competitive players would want the more stable release where the beta/constantly updating release would go on most servers. The point is to make sure the competitive side of this game is thought of when making rapid changes to gameplay. I don't think this game needs to upset the competitive balance of a season, but I also think it needs to add fun things to the game constantly. Both need to happen. Comp mod is already in existence, it just needs to be kept in mind how it's all going to work through this new system.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    @Deck_ It's usually opposite from my experience, but it reverses as ensl seasons heat up and people want specifix meta practice. They've all been so luke warm however that I doubt it would matter anymore
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2015
    I'm concerned that the "beta" branch might get the cold shoulder from everyone. Some of the remaining players might not care to test it, or only try it for a few games, while the new players won't know about it, or be more confused by the two different versions.

I am speaking from experience of developing a prototype/ balance mod. Initially there were a lot of curious players to get some 6v6 games. Now, however, the server sits empty on most nights. Occasionally I get a few greens showing up, and once a month or so a veteran gives some feedback, based on very limited testing.

Tribes Ascend is undergoing a similar overhaul, and from my impression, the attention on beta patches tends to wane quickly and splits splits the community into two pools.