Base Module - Power Storage Unit

Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
Hi there!

I'll get right to it:
The water filtration machine is the first base module that gradually drains power. It showed me the severe drawback of solar panels. So i built more. Enough to power 2 water machines through the night and still reload the seamoth 100% and have enough left for some crafting and cooking. A while later i built 4 thermal plants and a power line through two biomes.

Solar panels and thermal plants are these nobrainer generators. Sure a nuclear plant easily overpowers 4 thermals and 8 solar panels, but who cares? I don't have to refuel them and if they can't hold enough energy i simply build more. They have no real drawback.
Searching for fuel and refueling the Bio and Nuclear reactor is a chore. A chore that is not rewarded enough imo. That right here IS what i call a drawback ... not a severe one, but it is one.

The only difference of the generators right now is their capability to create power and (much more important) to STORE power.

I spend at least two thirds of the time away from my base. Passive generators have more than enough time to do their work and once the generator is full i don't care how fast and efficient it is. If one solar panel can't hold enough i build more...
The nuclear reactor creates 1000 but only stores 500. I can't just build a secong one to up my storage cause every reactor creates on it's own.

Now what would happen if the storage capabilites of the generators would be shifted to another base module? Maybe small ones for holding 25 energy for early game and later on big ones with 100 or more.
Without their own storage solar panels would shut down at sunset and that's it. You're sitting in the dark now son, go find yourself a goddamn bio reactor.

With external power storage you could bring the two strong generators to their full potential and show the two "lazy" ones their limits. This would allow an even more extreme balancing between the generators and could lead to some interesting power management strategies.

Can you guys follow? What do you think?

Comments

• Monkey_MacMonkey_Mac Join Date: 2015-11-10 Member: 209147Members
    Yes, add a link to this in my thread about a Power Overhaul, is a good idea to have them all in one place.

Bearing in mind one use of the fabricator is 10 Energy (what ever that is, KW?) I would start at 100 for early game and finish at about 2000 for late game, when you will likely have multiple water filtration machines.
  • DRxShockzDRxShockz US Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206879Members
    i agree! i hate when i have solar panels and night times comes because my water filter drains all the power, and also they should make Lit. easier to get
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    A simple solution is to add a wall prop to take power cells (and make them properly rechargeable) of the same type as the cyclops.

Possibly solar pannels need an energy generation nerf anyway , and the nuclear reactor use fuel far slower to be worthwhile.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    edited December 2015
    Stakhanov wrote: »
    A simple solution is to add a wall prop to take power cells (and make them properly rechargeable) of the same type as the cyclops.

Possibly solar pannels need an energy generation nerf anyway , and the nuclear reactor use fuel far slower to be worthwhile.

My opinion on power cells is, that i want to get rid of them entirely (as i posted in this thread already).
    They are needed for two recipes and after that mostly as energy for the cyclops. If you are dumb enough to strand your seamoth too far under the surface with no energy left there sure is way to make a mechanic to get it out of there with some batteries.

The cyclops' power source should be overhauled completely anyways!