Help with PC setup

Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
edited December 2015 in NS2 General Discussion
So now it's christmas and my friend has promised me to buy ns2 but first he needs a new computer beacouse his old one is broken....
So he got no skills in what a computer does and so on. So i decided to help him out. I've set up a PC before but it took like 2 months for me to find the right pices and i guess you got some more experience....
So now im asking you what PC setups do you recomend for 1300 dollars?
I would like 16 gb ram and 1 terrabite memory.
And a very good graphics card.
~you're beloved Saffron_Baker

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Just get a K processor to OC.. and an aftermarket cooler (air or water), if you are building this for NS2.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Core i5 or i7 would be a good start, preferably the K series to overclock in the future for longevity,

Corsair vengeance RAM is good, anything over 2133mhz is waste of money, performance negligible.

If you dont want an SSD (Which I highly recommend, Samsung EVO / Pro series are great) Get a western digital caviar black.

Graphics card? 970 will do you just fine.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would go for the cheapest 2 sticks of 4GB 1600mhz memory. You will get the most for your money there. You don't need more than that.

As with my i5 recommendation, I often recommend to people the cheaper options. Memory is really simple and you can go as cheap as possible with it. Anything above 1600mhz has incredibly minimal gains. There are gains but they are just not seen in real world usage much. I really like this review as it shows that. I also always buy memory that has a lifetime warrenty. I don't do this because I plan on using the warrenty but because it shows the manufacturer trusts its product to last a lifetime. Most brands have a lifetime warrenty, but always make sure.

SSD's are something else you can go pretty cheap on. Anymore all modern SSD's are very reliable. Just having even a cheap slower ssd is 10x better than a mechanical hdd. Samsung does make some of the best ssd's right now. They even offer a 5 year warranty, which is better than the competitions typical 3 year. It shows that they trust their product. I just got a samsung 850 evo myself because it is one of the better performing most reliable ssds and it was on sale for the price comparable to the cheapest ssd.

As for motherboards, they are all pretty much the same anymore. All of the major brands are very reliable and have very similar feature sets. I would not go the cheapest possible here though but I also would not go high end. Just make sure it is a Z87 or Z97 motherboard because you can overclock your K cpu with it.

For a gpu I find it hard to recommend anything less than the 970. You could go less, but with your budget I just don't see a reason to. It has very good price to performance. I just would not go higher than a 970.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Also windows 10 or 7?
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Either is fine, most people have made the switch to 10, its personal preference, my line of work requires me to keep up to date with the latest technologies, so its 10 for me.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    Some good tips (and entertainment) can be found in my 'help me make pc!11" thread on these very forums:
    forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/137682/pc-died-need-help-choosing-new-one/p1

Nice way to pick parts for noobs like me:
    logicalincrements.com/
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Forgot about logicalincrements, great site
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Forgot about logicalincrements, great site

I could not remember its name or else I would of brought it up. It is perfect for this. I just think there needs to be more or at least better suggestions from superb to outstanding.