Q&A About UWE Coming Back to NS2 - Natural Selection 2

13»

Comments

• BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Heres another question about dev transparency into the future:

Will the current system of using trello to show the status and description of current projects continue to be used, or will dev updates come in the form of blog/forum posts only?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    @Benson - with UWE employing the whole Trello/Open dev thing with Subnautica, I'd be highly surprised if that approach changed.

I also seem to remember a post somewhere in which @Hugh expressed a wish that they could have a similar kind of community interaction with NS2 as they do with Subnautica.

I will say that possibly, it may have been in the past tense, and he may have wished, they had the same level of interaction but, hey, I read a lot of stuff, some of it is bound to get a bit foggy at times :D
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2015
    So far the Trello has nothing interesting except for "Entity Event System" which is sort of great, but something like "splash page revamp" if it's going to be 3months of little DLC packages and splash page revamps with hughs so called PR drive that'll be really depressing, so far it's all talk anyway and it's baseless at that for the most part till any of the actual real DEVs come out and start talking about and implementing there own features and changes again. I am pretty sure most of us are sick of PR bullshit when the PR can be done by Flayra and the other Devs, we like straightforward contact.

• ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2015
    Sorry i got a little bit frustrated and ahead of myself last night thinking about things, i know your job is the artside of things and that's awesome congrats. Just want to see the best for NS as a whole.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I would personally infer that they are looking into the viability of making new content additions easy enough, within this 3 month time-frame, to facilitate a move to maybe, paid content on the workshop, and thus allowing, maybe the opportunity to test a F2P model.

That, if you look at the team, would fit rather neatly.

From trello: https://trello.com/b/uFv64kH6/ns2-development-team
    Potential Projects
    "Integration of steam economy system"
    "New Marine & Alien Skin pack concepts"

To Do
    "Aesa sales multidimensional drill" - looks to be related to DLC content sales

So from that it looks like your correct.

What I am more worried about is: "Focus on enabling matchmaking and providing high performance servers to otherwise underserved regions around the world."

Now while it is great to get some servers for those remote areas where all the server choices are very high ping. I am still very worried about how any form of matchmaking may negatively impact community servers by directing users to UWE servers or though the picking of "winners and losers" via the implementation methodology when directing users toward a particular community server over the other. In addition is the worry of how other games such as CS:GO implements their system where as users must go out of their way if they dare want to join a server the normal way. I am very worried about the server list becoming a hidden feature with the implementation of any kind of matchmaking.

On the note of FTP and getting more players. While it is great to have new players in NS2 it is important that the devs address the issue that will be growing as the community grows and that is hackers. We need a server side demo system to catch them especially when there is more players.

edited December 2015
    ^Exactly Zero! My only gripe with the UWE servers they provided in older versions of NS2 is that they were poorly optimised and poorly admined by useless heathens, this will alienate the community even more in the form of matchmaking, i don't want people chosen by Playtesters and current UWE PR chosen to being admins, because they're not fit to run communities, as it stands right now people gravitate towards specific servers for location and community of knowing certain people.

If you're gonna host servers again, please don't overflow the list with UWE servers again. Community servers are what runs the backbone of any game community and NS as a whole since the conception of NS itself.

steam-api integration in the form of, Achievements, steam trading cards
    Possible workshop modification/asset/prop market with intent to bring content creators to the game for $$$ on both sides.
    Free to play

Also on the note of hackers, if any of the current DEVs would like to listen i have some ways to deal with hackers on a global scale on spark and NS2 in general as i came to the conclusion on NS1 with the same ideas but they were never implemented, i would like these features to be hardcoded in the system(no one would notice the difference and performance would be minimal).

We could stop all those buzzhook users! and dirty ogc scrubs :P
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    edited December 2015
    Well it does look like they are going to have servers for players <=5 hive skill.

That I think is good for new players to get some basic skills. But I think they should access that via a training button that goes away when they are >5 and that button is replaced with the regular server list then. There could be a little thing exampling that they have unlocked unrestricted game mode and can now play on community servers something like this:

Congratulations, you have shown that your ready for the big league and can now play on community servers. These servers are provided by members of the Natural Selection 2 community for the betterment of all players. These servers may feature custom content and or mods with different forums of gameplay. You can keep track of your favorite servers by pressing the heart next to them on the server list.

Unfortunately, we can not deal with hackers on a global scale when we can not deal with them on a local scale. Until server side demos are implemented there is no reliable way to know with a high degree of certainty that a user is hacking. Server side demos provide the evidence that not only local communities need to process bans but also is the basis of evidence for any sort of global ban list that multiple communities would want to coordinate on.
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I don't know if these hackers I keep hearing about are just quickly admin'd away from TGNS for otherwise failing our community tenets, or if the hackers just aren't coming to TGNS to begin with, or if we're just effectively countering their competitive exploits with awesome teamwork, or WHAT, but I keep reading about this big hacker problem as TGNS keeps playing full games night after night without the first practical concern about hackers.

We invite all skill levels, and we regularly get our asses kicked by some of the best players in the game, but I just don't see enough hackers to shake a stick at...

Knock on wood, I... guess... but... I mean... is hacking really that big of a problem in NS2? Am I living in some kind of North American bubble, or something? Is it a European thing? I get it that I'm more complacent than some about losing, but I feel like I'm missing something as I perceive high skill and enjoy countering it as best my teammates and I are able.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    This article seems quite confusing to me. Sooo much detail when what we have is quite simple.

We're now paying the CDT to continue developing it. Not all of the CDT, but a lot of it.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    The overlord awakens, hope you have gotten in contact with @mendasp @flayra publicly or privately, a hornets nest has been stirred from lack of transparency on UWE's part!
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    rantology wrote: »
    I don't program or write systems.

It's ok.
    We can always use you for getting our “You have no power here” steam achievements.
    Gotta have that hat !