very high memory useage

paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
I am having an issue with the game using much more memory than it did in the last stable build. I have noticed it continuously increasing in use as you get closer to the next update. I have a memory cleaner program that has been allowing me to play the game but not everyone will have the same program. I have found that when you leave an area or while your swimming around instead of releasing the old memory and moving the data to the active catch (I have 4 gig worth using the readyboost program that is built into windows) (or for faster machines releasing it completely without moving it anywhere else to help reduce the amount of memory use). I am not exactly sure how you would prefer to handle this so I am unable to make any suggestions for you.

Comments

• sgtspanky01sgtspanky01 Join Date: 2006-12-28 Member: 59281Members, Constellation
    Well I'm running 8Gb (4Gb x 2) of Kingston XMP Beast and after a few hours I am maxed out on the RAM side with severe stuttering and windows warnings to shut down the programme :(
  • paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    Exactly, that's why I would rather see the game start releasing the ram instead of trying to keep everything in it. I have also noticed that the new lighting system uses a lot of ram on its own. I would like the ability to choose which of the 2 lighting systems I use instead of being forced to use one that my system can't handle or one that I don't like. This would also work by letting us choose what graphics are generated in game rather than trying to force them all at the same time. For further improvement in performance I would suggest that the video not try to force such a high frame rate but instead let it settle closer to 60fps (instead of 144fps).
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    You said stable build but also mentioned the new water in the experimental build.. which are you running when experiencing these memory leaks?
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    edited November 2015
    I've started switching off some of the 'hidden' options via the F3 option in order to get better performance. Currently I am experimenting with:

Light Shafts: off (they annoy me anyway)
    Bloom: off
    Ambient particles: off
    Shadow cascade: 0 (or 1, can't remember which >.<)
    Texture Quality: 1

My resolution is 1920x1080, which I'd prefer to keep, though I may knock it down to the next level.

Start option of recommended graphics level. May try 'minimum).

Performance is better; still some minor lag but nowhere near as much as before. Before I was trying to slash up a swarm of 8-10 biters, but every time I spun round to face my many attackers, the lag was insufferable. I have a meaty laptop too (2.4GHz i7 3940XM Quad Core CPU, NVidia GTX 680M - 4GB, 32GB DDR3 RAM @ 1300 MHz, 750GB 7200rpm hard drive).

Gah! I wish UWE would work on the performance aspects of this game, but I guess it's still early days yet. :smile:
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Myrm wrote: »
    Gah! I wish UWE would work on the performance aspects of this game, but I guess it's still early days yet. :smile:

Now where have I heard that before?
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Myrm wrote: »

Now where have I heard that before?

Probably from me; I have said it before.