Is the new lighting on in experimental?

moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
I'm really eager to see it, but I'm not seeing much difference at the moment. Haven't ventured out of the shallows yet in this build though, so maybe it has more effect deeper?

Comments

• LordDerpLordDerp Netherlands Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207871Members
    My guess is that they're going to throw it in all at once. But don't quote me on that
  • silva150silva150 Portugal Join Date: 2015-07-06 Member: 206021Members
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    It hasn't been implemented yet. Its not even fully complete. Plus I don't think something like the new lighting effects is something they can do in pieces. I'm with LordDerp, I think they're going to put it in all at once.
  • silva150silva150 Portugal Join Date: 2015-07-06 Member: 206021Members
    The new water and lighting are now in experimental, along with new glitches and bugs!
    yay
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    Check it out.

It looks really nice, until it bugs out. Oh... and there's a moon, or are we on a moon? I forget.
    Anyway, I guess we're back to waiting some more.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2015
    I can ignore almost every over case of realism dropped for the sake of gameplay etc, but the one thing I just struggle so hard to accept is:

A planetary body that close would cause some mad tidal events on the planet. As this would have to be a binary planet system, with both planets spinning around each other, I'd go as far to say calm water would be almost impossible, heck, I'd guess water would just be ripped off of the planet from the gravitational forces.

Also, this would make the planets very extremely hot, so if they have an active core, as well as the gravitational effects, they would be super-hot, far too hot for H2O to exist.
  • Koosh91Koosh91 Join Date: 2015-10-04 Member: 208296Members
    Yes, it is implemented. Unfortunately, lots of issues, but cool!
  • LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    This is not what i would call "implemented", since the new shaders arent done yet, most of what you see will look different once its implemented for real.
  • ArbinatorArbinator antarctica Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207851Members
    edited November 2015
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I can ignore almost every over case of realism dropped for the sake of gameplay etc, but the one thing I just struggle so hard to accept is:

A planetary body that close would cause some mad tidal events on the planet. As this would have to be a binary planet system, with both planets spinning around each other, I'd go as far to say calm water would be almost impossible, heck, I'd guess water would just be ripped off of the planet from the gravitational forces.

Also, this would make the planets very extremely hot, so if they have an active core, as well as the gravitational effects, they would be super-hot, far too hot for H2O to exist.

I'm no astronomer, but i'm pretty sure that we are on some sort of moon. Looking at it, Subnautica (which is the name i've arbitrarily given to the celestial body the game takes place on) is either tidally locked with its parent planet, or its rotational period is the same as its orbital period, similar to the Earth's own moon. Either situation would not cause too many tidal events on Subnautica, as the tidal bulge would roughly remain in the same place throughout its orbit. According to some astronomers, our moon was around 12 times closer at the cretaceous extinction event than it is today, and earth's water wasn't ripped off, so why would that happen to Subnautica?

As for heat, that would really have nothing to do with the orbit of Subnautica. Sure, the moon would be pretty geologically active (which it is), but the heat on the surface would have more to do with how close the celestial body is with its sun and/or the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Seeing as how Subnautica is just the right temperature for liquid water, neither of those are a problem.