Lowest FPS I've had - Still playable

FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
Well, I noticed last night that I was getting 108fps on veil with only 14 people on the server, and the map had just changed. I don't know my usual limit because I limit to 144fps with g-sync or lower, but typically on anything but like kodiac and biodome and derelict it's at 144 in fights.

GTX 980 (driver 358.50)
i7 4790k
msi z97 mobo w/ 32gb ram

It's not bothering me much, so whatever as long as I don't start crashing. I think this was caused by 277. Unfortunately it's possible I just never noticed during 276.

What information can I give that might be helpful? I know this is hurting alot of peoples performance where the fps drop is more consequential

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2015
    That driver has been giving problems to everyone.
    Try the hotfix that came out and report back?

edit: are you aware of how to make a plog?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Will do, I imagine that will work. I assumed I couldn't get the hotfix since it didn't pop up in geforce experience or the webpage, but i'll try when I'm home. Bet it'll just work too.

But no I've never done a plog, I'll do one if it's not the driver
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Yea that driver you are running is responsible for breaking Gsync as well as performance woes.
    Let us know!
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    also, limit your fps to 143 or lower mate.
    Hitting the actual refreshrate is enough to go vsync, not just going over it.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    also, limit your fps to 143 or lower mate.
    Hitting the actual refreshrate is enough to go vsync, not just going over it.

@DC_Darkling where do I put that in my configs? I remember to type it in console sometimes (usually just use 120 to make sure theres less delay)
    Hotfix worked far as I can tell.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    sadly you cant limit fps like that in ns2 yet @mattji104 .
    I just push my graphics settings so that I dont reach more then 120ish. which is fine.

Try nvidia inspector. it has a fps limiter.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @ironhorse has often told me that I should not use an fps limiter that is not built into the game engine. In spark, you can use maxfps to set your fps. So ~maxfps 120
    Yea if I do it I use "maxfps 120"

How would I add that to a config file that runs at gamestart? I used to know all this for gldsrc, but never bothered to learn anything about this engine, etc :/
    its not possible @mattjti104, hence my nvidia inspector suggestion.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Glad the hotfix worked