Building Up

EldeberonEldeberon USA Join Date: 2015-09-28 Member: 208204Members
Perhaps there is a gameplay reason for not allowing upward construction in survival and freedom mode, but if not I would like to suggest a few modifications.

At present a builder has to be outside and above the space where a new construction is to be placed. The structure only turns green when the builder tool reticle touches the top surface of a buildable space. While this is fine underwater, it makes it impossible to build very far above sea level. If it could be possible to add a new connector, or room while underneath in the same fashion an airlock and ladder is built this would solve the problem. Such a thing would assist in building a scaffold around the Aurora, and for island bases.

Speaking of island bases, has there been any thought about above ground structures built from island materials that aren't so undersea looking? Might be fun to have land bases with completely different looks and game functions than sea bases causing the player to build both.

In case I forgot to mention it: Fantastic game. I'm in experimental survivor and I think I've exhausted all possible existing game play, but still find myself playing. Its like this is a real world. I keep wanting to either begin the long work of repairing the Aurora, or tear her apart to expand my base and contact Earth.

Comments

• Chris1217Chris1217 Meyrin (Geneva) Join Date: 2015-10-14 Member: 208476Members
    edited October 2015
    Eldeberon wrote: »
    Perhaps there is a gameplay reason for not allowing upward construction in survival and freedom mode, but if not I would like to suggest a few modifications.

At present a builder has to be outside and above the space where a new construction is to be placed. The structure only turns green when the builder tool reticle touches the top surface of a buildable space. While this is fine underwater, it makes it impossible to build very far above sea level. If it could be possible to add a new connector, or room while underneath in the same fashion an airlock and ladder is built this would solve the problem. Such a thing would assist in building a scaffold around the Aurora, and for island bases.

Speaking of island bases, has there been any thought about above ground structures built from island materials that aren't so undersea looking? Might be fun to have land bases with completely different looks and game functions than sea bases causing the player to build both.

In case I forgot to mention it: Fantastic game. I'm in experimental survivor and I think I've exhausted all possible existing game play, but still find myself playing. Its like this is a real world. I keep wanting to either begin the long work of repairing the Aurora, or tear her apart to expand my base and contact Earth.

Ok i give a easy way to build higher over water tower. First you have to now that you can build Hatch on roof and floor of tube's (corridors) it make easy to go higher by contructing them on top of heach other. now for rooms (is a little cheat), if your on the middle of the rooms roof if you looking down when you build the next floor you make a realy high jump and you land on the top of the unfinish new floor then do it again (some time it do not work)

my personal reccord is 20 floors over water on freedom mod after that my computer start to slowing down so i stop.

• The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    I have to agree with the OP, it would be nice. Even ignoring the ability to build above sea level. Let's make a scenario for it.

It's after the devs have integrated a maximum depth for you to go without a submersible. You can only dive to 100 meters without dying. You are currently 250 meters below sea level, in your freshly-constructed moonpool, which you want to build a base off of.

You're screwed.

There should really be a way to build from inside of the base, just for occasions like that.
  • paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    I have asked several times for a way to build from inside.
    The best way I can think of doing this is to make it so the wall your adding to would turn to a ghost type thing so you can see where your placing the next piece and which way its facing. Or get rid of the right click exit feature from the subs and add a builder tool upgrade to the sea moth. The sea moth builder tool when placed in any slot would add a pair of projector units (like on the hand tool) to the front of the sea moth and let us use that to build our bases using supplies inside the cargo of the sea moth. This would also mean that the devs would need to add at least 2 more upgrade slots to the sea moth (I would suggest redoing them so there would be 3 on each side so we can have a few more options).
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    paradine wrote: »
    I have asked several times for a way to build from inside.
    The best way I can think of doing this is to make it so the wall your adding to would turn to a ghost type thing so you can see where your placing the next piece and which way its facing. Or get rid of the right click exit feature from the subs and add a builder tool upgrade to the sea moth. The sea moth builder tool when placed in any slot would add a pair of projector units (like on the hand tool) to the front of the sea moth and let us use that to build our bases using supplies inside the cargo of the sea moth. This would also mean that the devs would need to add at least 2 more upgrade slots to the sea moth (I would suggest redoing them so there would be 3 on each side so we can have a few more options).

All of those ideas I love, except for the last one. I think that the reason the Moth is limited to four slots is so that, no matter how many end up added, you have to choose which ones are most important to you. Just adding more slots whenever they add more upgrades would kind of defeat the purpose of that.
  • paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    I was only meaning to have the 2 extra slots to help balance out the number of upgrades that are available (or could be added later on). You would still have to pick and choose what you want because you wouldn't be able to have everything. By adding the ability to "collect" items from the ocean with a collector tool with the stuff going into an on-board cargo container would take up 2 slots together. Then you still need the pressure compensator to go deeper and the armor upgrade to protect against bumps. This fills all 4 slots alone. Then by having the extra 2 you can have a builder tool and a second cargo or power efficiency module and perimeter defense. There are so many possibilities that you could have.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited November 2015
    My solution: A dedicated construction sub (Seamoth variant) with VTOL flight capability.

As suggested by Paradine:

Suggested basic utility modules: Builder, Welder, Manipulator Arms, 2 x Storage Lockers.
    Advanced utility modules: MaxDepth Pressure Compensator (4-in-1 PCM rated to 1000 metres), Terraformer, Plasma Cutter, Mining Drill, Perimeter Defence Field.

Could be compatible with existing Seamoth upgrades, but with a higher capacity: Four basic modules + Two advanced modules in any combination.

Requires more and some harder-to-obtain resources for construction.
  • Monkey_MacMonkey_Mac Join Date: 2015-11-10 Member: 209147Members
    Personally I don't see why you would want to build more than 1-2 levels above sea level. There's no benifits to doing so and you can always build sideways and then deconstruct.

What I'm more concerned about is the building of bases either on the surface or at of 200m under the floater island core.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Building at depth (300+ metres) is easy.

Just lay down a large foundation pad before placing any corridors or rooms. Build a small 'construction shack' base to retreat to whenever your oxygen supply falls too low, or you need to eat and drink or fabricate new tools and items.

Keep a close eye on the base's structural integrity as you place each component, and use reinforcing plates wherever possible. Don't place too many windows, observation bubbles or transparent corridors until the base's structural integrity is well over 100.