Flaterectomy's Spark Editor workflow showcase (Video)

FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
Hai folks! I was asked to show how I go about trimming and detailing, so I decided to record some footage to showcase my specific methods. I accidentally recorded 2 1/2 times as much as I intended, but with some editing I managed to reduce it to 1h46m.

Comments

• ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2015
    THANKS! Great work as always.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hehe it's mesmerising seeing Sprak being driven for mapping. Although, 5x or 8x speed would be more mesmerising, gottah love those timelapse vids :D
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    The most challenging part looks like choosing what texture or prop to use at any given moment.
    Nice work
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Awsome thank you for posting this
    Could you do more of these?
    Are you Making These maps for the Original natural selection 2 or will it be a mod?
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2015
    Awesome! @Flaterectomy now if only i could find time to put this to use!

Also @Lussebull please dont make 3 posts - there is an edit button for a reason, so please use it, and dont post 3 times in a row. as its quite annoying.
    Im sorry the things just came up in mind while i just posted the new erlier post. And i forgote about the Edit button. Sorry won't happen again
    @MaxAmus
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its ok, nothing to sorry for, am just saying its quite annoying lol. back on topic now.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    The room I worked on in the video was just for the purpose of the video. I won't be using it in anything. I didn't want to do a video of me working on Caged, because that's a lot more boring. A lot more texture/prop selection, deleting things I made that don't work out, etc. I may do more of these, but will probably try to keep them a little shorter if I do.

If there are any specific requests then I could keep that in mind.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have not watched the video yet, so I could be wrong. Is it possible to break the video/s into 15 minute sections? 15 minutes or less seems like the ideal time to me. I don't know what topics you cover though.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    It's me trying to detail a greyboxed area, with some unnecessary bits cut out. I don't narrate it, except for an introduction at the start.
    @Flaterectomy it would be realy nice if you could make some detailed beginer toturials. For example what does that button or how to make rooms less square.

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2015
    lussebull wrote: »
    @Flaterectomy it would be realy nice if you could make some detailed beginer toturials. For example what does that button or how to make rooms less square.

I would just start with watching the SCC tutorial playlist. Let maestro mendasp teach you the basics :D
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I want to see you detail the area entering the west side of Ventilation System on caged, that comes from Purification.

That placeholder wall that's there is getting replaced with a prop supposedly? I want to see it all tie in!
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I want to see you detail the area entering the west side of Ventilation System on caged, that comes from Purification.

That placeholder wall that's there is getting replaced with a prop supposedly? I want to see it all tie in!

Waiting on @Howser for that, I think.
    flaterectomy how do you get those other 3 grids (think it's called that)?
    I assume you mean the top, side, and front views. You can click Alt+W to switch between a single viewport and all four (or click on Maximize under 'viewport' in the dropdown menu).
    Looking back at this and I must say I've come quite a way......
    This being a similar video, I'll drop it here. I was talking with @Kasharic about his level ns2_unnamed and promised him I'd show how I'd go about making some of the elements in his map. May as well share it with everyone.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    This being a similar video, I'll drop it here. I was talking with @Kasharic about his level ns2_unnamed and promised him I'd show how I'd go about making some of the elements in his map. May as well share it with everyone.

Ssssh, you actually just want to leech awesomes from his video. I see right through you! :P
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue

Ssssh, you actually just want to leech awesomes from his video. I see right through you! :P

As this is a video of Flaterectomy explaining how he would make these, and Flaterectomy actually making them, this would be Flaterectomy's video, and so he couldn't be leeching off anyone... :P
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

As this is a video of Flaterectomy explaining how he would make these, and Flaterectomy actually making them, this would be Flaterectomy's video, and so he couldn't be leeching off anyone... :P

I have been foiled by my own lack of attention!
    Dammit, me!