Thinking about coming back after 12 years

SM_MarshallSM_Marshall Portugal Join Date: 2015-10-01 Member: 208245Members
[Also posted on NS2 Discussion on Steam]

Hi everyone

I was very involved in the original NS (since the first version until 2.0 I believe) and was part of the Portuguese NS National Team and leader of the biggest NS Portuguese Clan.

After a long (over 10 years) hiatus I've finally got the hardware to try NS2 out and I'm thinking of buying it (not over Steam, but through ♥♥♥ or something where I can get it for like 3€) and trying it out. I've been watching many videos from It's Super Effective and other players to get a feel of what's different from my oldschool days and I can tell I have quite some catching-up to do! :)

I've also been reading a lot about how the game's community is small and how that can be daunting for newcomers (as myself, although I know the mechanics of the original game) and how the vets can bash on noobs - which I think is counter-productive as you want new players to keep the game alive and, for a team-based game, the better the players around you, the more fun you have, but anyway...

I remember back in the day that we were always available to help and teach new players so they could get into the game, understand it, grow alongside us and then enjoy it as much as we do - it was kinda like sharing something that you love with someone so that they'll love it too and that feeling of sharing and teaching others was very special - I always loved doing it!

My question is: coming back now, will I find people like that? Will I find people willing to incorporate new players into the community? Will I find a mature, veteran playerbase that want to play as a team and immerse themselves as much as possible in this amazing and unique atmosphere that only NS provides?
Or will I just be shouted at, insulted, kicked from Comm (when I would eventually try to get back to the seat, I don't intend on doing so immediately of course) and laughed at for being rusty?

Is it worth the effort?
Are YOU, as a community, worth the heritage that we, NS1 players left you?

Looking forward to hearing from you all - hopefully with positive feedback!

Would love to come back into NS. Nothing quite like it!
- An oldschooler

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2015
    [Also posted on NS2 Discussion on Steam]

Hi everyone

I was very involved in the original NS (since the first version until 2.0 I believe) and was part of the Portuguese NS National Team and leader of the biggest NS Portuguese Clan.

After a long (over 10 years) hiatus I've finally got the hardware to try NS2 out and I'm thinking of buying it (not over Steam, but through ♥♥♥ or something where I can get it for like 3€) and trying it out. I've been watching many videos from It's Super Effective and other players to get a feel of what's different from my oldschool days and I can tell I have quite some catching-up to do! :)

I've also been reading a lot about how the game's community is small and how that can be daunting for newcomers (as myself, although I know the mechanics of the original game) and how the vets can bash on noobs - which I think is counter-productive as you want new players to keep the game alive and, for a team-based game, the better the players around you, the more fun you have, but anyway...

I remember back in the day that we were always available to help and teach new players so they could get into the game, understand it, grow alongside us and then enjoy it as much as we do - it was kinda like sharing something that you love with someone so that they'll love it too and that feeling of sharing and teaching others was very special - I always loved doing it!

My question is: coming back now, will I find people like that? Will I find people willing to incorporate new players into the community? Will I find a mature, veteran playerbase that want to play as a team and immerse themselves as much as possible in this amazing and unique atmosphere that only NS provides?
    Or will I just be shouted at, insulted, kicked from Comm (when I would eventually try to get back to the seat, I don't intend on doing so immediately of course) and laughed at for being rusty?

Is it worth the effort?
    Are YOU, as a community, worth the heritage that we, NS1 players left you?

Looking forward to hearing from you all - hopefully with positive feedback!

Would love to come back into NS. Nothing quite like it!
    - An oldschooler

You might be surprised but part of the core ns2 community is still the same as back then with ns1. But everyone has grown older and does not have as much time to play video games as back then.

NS2 is now almost 3 years old and the player numbers dropped to CCUs of 100-300 players. However the ensl is still active but most of the ns1/ns2 legends are not active anymore due to lack of time / interest .

The community itself is as friendly as ever i guess. There are just some really vocal public players with a bad attitude towards new players. If you met one of them just switch the server.

If you want to play NS2 competitive i would suggest to play a bit at public servers and then look into gather games. Just do yourself the favor to not play on those 24+ servers. They might be fun but NS2 was designed around 12-16 players.

So playing to much at 24+ servers will just make you adept some really bad behaviors for competitive play.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Welcome back.
    There is, and always has been players that will go out off there way to be helpful and teach.
    But like any game there is those that can be quite toxic, but for the most part, alot have stoped playing.
    Playing Public can get frustrating when you have a team that do what they want, and dont think working as a team will do anything. Some games can be really fun, and teams do work well with each other.
    NSL is where its at for the more "Organised, Slightly more Mature" games are, but again, some players can be very toxic and Immature, but again you will get to know who they are, and how to avoid them. Some off the best games can be played here.
    Gathers - step down from NSL, but still quite Organisded 6v6, slightly better than Pub games. Most off the time.

When it comes to commanding, just play a few games, get used to NS2. once you get it down, go for it, command, not many players will get annoyed if you just use your Mic, tell your getting back into the game, and you want to command again, Just be aware tho that when your commanding - IT is very demanding just like NS1, so dont get annoyed if some players do hate on you the 1st time, just show them off by getting better.

Again welcome back, and i hope to see you ingame!
  • TBD_TheBlackDogTBD_TheBlackDog Australia m8 Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207842Members
    MaxAmus wrote: »
    When it comes to commanding, just play a few games, get used to NS2. once you get it down, go for it, command, not many players will get annoyed if you just use your Mic, tell your getting back into the game, and you want to command again, Just be aware tho that when your commanding - IT is very demanding just like NS1, so dont get annoyed if some players do hate on you the 1st time, just show them off by getting better.

Again welcome back, and i hope to see you ingame!

Space bar is love, Space bar is life.
    BTW, I couldn't help but notice your signature xD
  • YaluzanYaluzan Join Date: 2013-07-30 Member: 186474Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester
    MaxAmus wrote: »
    Welcome back.
    NSL is where its at for the more "Organised, Slightly more Mature" games are, but again, some players can be very toxic and Immature, but again you will get to know who they are, and how to avoid them.
    Contact me if you see anyone act like that in NSL :smile:

And welcome back! Hope to see you on some servers or even in a gather. The gathers are at gathers.ensl.org but you will need an account at ensl.org
  • KSwissKSwiss NYC Join Date: 2015-10-25 Member: 208760Members
    so how do you find the good servers? the update server browser tool doesn't seem to find but 4-5 and i'm in NYC.
    aren't there lists of popular IPs made up so you can connect manually?
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    KSwiss wrote: »
    aren't there lists of popular IPs made up so you can connect manually?

http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/index.php
  • SM_MarshallSM_Marshall Portugal Join Date: 2015-10-01 Member: 208245Members
    Thank you all for your feedback. I've bought myself a copy through the Humble store (following your advice) and have been enjoying so much playing again!
    Since my baby son was born just 3 weeks ago I haven't been able to play much, but so far the hours I've put in have been well worth it - although I'm rusty as hell! :smiley:

See y'all in the grounds
    Marshall