how to make aliens faster?

WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
I've executed this code on both the server and client to override on the server and the client the Onos:GetMaxSpeed(possible) method in 275's Onos.lua:
local originalOnosGetMaxSpeed
originalOnosGetMaxSpeed = Shine.ReplaceClassMethod("Onos", "GetMaxSpeed", function(self, possible) return originalOnosGetMaxSpeed(self, possible) * 1.5 end)

I've done similar code for the other alien lifeforms. They move faster, but the client regularly stutters and hitches as the modified alien unit moves, similar to what one experiences when playing over a struggling network. The server seems to understand the alien unit's correct speed and location (other marine and alien players see the modified alien unit moving smoothly at the modified speed), but the modified client is clearly confused about how fast its player is travelling through the world. What am I overlooking? How can I make the alien client move as fast as the modified server thinks it's moving, such that the person playing the modified alien sees typically smooth movement on the screen?

If overriding GetMaxSpeed is the wrong approach altogether, please advise.

Many thanks!

Comments