Should the Sea Emperor be able to damage the Cyclops?

The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
edited August 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
So, based on the fact that the Reaper is already dangerous as all hell, and that the Emperor is meant to be bigger and more dangerous, I had a thought. Maybe to up the fear factor of the Sea Emperor, it should be able to do damage to the Cyclops when it's above the safe depth (as if it were a collision below that depth) and three times that much below the safe depth. Thoughts?

Comments

• BloopBloop Germany Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207553Members
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    I think implementing something like this would remove the current thing with the Cyclops being considered an impenetrable fortress. Making it vulnerable, even to one or two things, would mean that the player would have to be a bit smarter about where they're going.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    How about no. If there's something that is able to harm the very things keeping me from dying and crying like a little baby then the devs better implement some kind of plasma blade or rocket launcher so I can fight it off. Throw in some torpedoes and I'll be happy
  • Z-comZ-com canada Join Date: 2015-08-30 Member: 207583Members
    Yes because of the possible weapon upgrade on the seamoth.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    The Cyclops should be able to be damaged by Reapers as well.

Of course they won't do a lot, but if you sit in the middle of 3 of them and let them whack away at your sub, it'll eventually spring a leak.
    The Cyclops should be able to be damaged by Reapers as well.

Of course they won't do a lot, but if you sit in the middle of 3 of them and let them whack away at your sub, it'll eventually spring a leak.

Hmm... maybe something like 0.001% hull damage per second. I was thinking the reason the Emperor could do the damage would be because of its superior size. It would have to ram the thing, similar to how the Reaper has to grab the Seamoth to do damage (it can't just use a normal attack).
    How about no. If there's something that is able to harm the very things keeping me from dying and crying like a little baby then the devs better implement some kind of plasma blade or rocket launcher so I can fight it off. Throw in some torpedoes and I'll be happy

I'd like torpedoes whether they implement this or not, but that's beside the point. I agree, letting the current "shield" of the game be damaged by an enemy would require some form of defense to compensate.
  • jjust19jjust19 Australia Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207535Members
    I think it would be pretty boring if we could just swim around in our cyclops and not worry about any threats.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    The emperor should be able to destroy the cyclops if he wants, but not always be aggressive.

It looks more like an intelligence being like the warper and the dominant species of Subnautica. So it's possible that his danger is complex:

He could just wrap around the cyclops and draw it into the deep if the cyclops isn't fitted with a shock shield.

He could communicate with warpers that warp inside the cyclops and sabotage it.

He could communicate with other predators that swarm the cyclops.

The emperor should be in the depths and around the main landmass in the outer sea.
    jjust19 wrote: »
    I think it would be pretty boring if we could just swim around in our cyclops and not worry about any threats.

This.
    zetachron wrote: »
    The emperor should be able to destroy the cyclops if he wants, but not always be aggressive.

It looks more like an intelligence being like the warper and the dominant species of Subnautica. So it's possible that his danger is complex:

He could just wrap around the cyclops and draw it into the deep if the cyclops isn't fitted with a shock shield.

He could communicate with warpers that warp inside the cyclops and sabotage it.

He could communicate with other predators that swarm the cyclops.

I like that. The name is "Emperor," which implies being in control. He could tell other things to do the dirty work for him, or choose from an array of his own attacks (the grabbing and dragging, or a ram attack).
  • djambatutudjambatutu cape verde Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207788Members
    i would not say direct damage, but rather drag the cyclops to unsafe depths... it would give you time to escape, lick your wounds has the the emperor zips away with it
  • DetectableDetectable Oslo Join Date: 2015-09-04 Member: 207732Members
    I would be fine with this if there was some way of avoiding the big creatures. Lets say you hear the roar of a Reaper or Emperor Leviathan. Instead of turning tail and run you could for example put your Cyclops down on the seabed and "power down" until the creature leaves the area.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    I think it should be able to indirectly damage it by dragging it, or hitting it into something.

I feel the Warper should be the only creature capable of direct damage.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members

Shame you have to leave the Cyclops to enter caves, and gather materials, and actually play the game.

Shame you have to leave the Cyclops to enter caves, and gather materials, and actually play the game.

True, but adding this idea would add a certain degree of danger. Currently, the Cyclops is kind of considered an impenetrable shield, and as long as you're on board, you're invincible. I don't like that idea, personally.
    Yeah? If you spend the resources on it, you should have the invincibility.

Because then you have to keep it refuelled with power cells. That's the tradeoff.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    edited September 2015
    Detectable wrote: »
    I would be fine with this if there was some way of avoiding the big creatures. Lets say you hear the roar of a Reaper or Emperor Leviathan. Instead of turning tail and run you could for example put your Cyclops down on the seabed and "power down" until the creature leaves the area.

And then the cyclops could use a sonar to detect giant moving creatures, while the creatures do the same.

On one side the sonar scanner could warn you of a sea emperor ahead, before you run into it. On the other side the sonar is actively sending sound, so other unwanted creatures could be attracted by the use of the sonar. Maybe warpers will hear it and come close to see who's there, maybe the sea emperor wants to see who's mad enough to answer his sonar call.

Maybe playing dead works with the sea emperor but not with the warpers or intelligent species. Or maybe bedding is fatal when sea bed spiders start eating the hull with their acid teeth. So you start hiding and watching the sea bed spiders wearing down the cyclops hull while you pray that the sea emperor vanishes before the spiders break through, while you use the welder like hell to fix the cyclops and pump out that water.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited September 2015
    I hope you guys realize how unusable the Cyclops will become around large creatures. Every predator in the game is already overly aggressive and the Cyclops is currently the only mobile refuge. Even so, the Reaper can still damage the sub at crush depth by plowing it into things and don't forget mobility kills. Reapers can force the sub into places where it can't get out of without the player getting out an re-positioning it.

What would be more interesting is if the Sea Emperor were to simply entangle the sub and the player is forced to get out and somehow force the creature to detach either be distracting it, hitting it with defensive countermeasures, or attracting other creatures to combat it.
    I hope you guys realize how unusable the Cyclops will become around large creatures. Every predator in the game is already overly aggressive and the Cyclops is currently the only mobile refuge. Even so, the Reaper can still damage the sub at crush depth by plowing it into things and don't forget mobility kills. Reapers can force the sub into places where it can't get out of without the player getting out an re-positioning it.

What would be more interesting is if the Sea Emperor were to simply entangle the sub and the player is forced to get out and somehow force the creature to detach either be distracting it, hitting it with defensive countermeasures, or attracting other creatures to combat it.

...I hope you realize that that's kinda the point. I don't like the idea of invincibility.
  • TysohalTysohal Germany Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207819Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    On one side the sonar scanner could warn you of a sea emperor ahead, before you run into it. On the other side the sonar is actively sending sound, so other unwanted creatures could be attracted by the use of the sonar. Maybe warpers will hear it and come close to see who's there, maybe the sea emperor wants to see who's mad enough to answer his sonar call.

Maybe playing dead works with the sea emperor but not with the warpers or intelligent species. Or maybe bedding is fatal when sea bed spiders start eating the hull with their acid teeth. So you start hiding and watching the sea bed spiders wearing down the cyclops hull while you pray that the sea emperor vanishes before the spiders break through, while you use the welder like hell to fix the cyclops and pump out that water.

Or when you attract a sea emperor you can shoot your sonar beacon away so that the emperor gets distracted. When you successfully but blindly escaped you have to get aout and replace the beacon manually. Hope theres no smaller hunter around ;)
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    yes but only if we can be armed
    tarek wrote: »
    yes but only if we can be armed

Which is a thing I'd want whether the Cyclops can be damaged or not. I'm a pretty military-minded person, and the thought of having the technology to kill that Reaper that's about to eat you, and not doing so, is confusing to me.
  • TysohalTysohal Germany Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207819Members
    edited September 2015
    Hmm I'm starting to question the lethal weapon problem. While I do like the existing defense and not kill weapons, one hast to wonder: the Aurora was sent to terraform or start a colony directly. But such a ship would not be sent if the world wasn't scouted first. So the scouts had to detect the sea emperor and mission control or the hypno toad or who ever is in charge had to send the Aurora with means to kill or seriously scare away such a big thread.

But if there would be a way to kill a sea emperor I would like it to be some real expensive torpedos with a chance to miss. There has to be at least one big fish that will always put the player on edge.
    Electrocuting the surrounding water of the sub or activating a one-use-high-pitch-sonar-device to scare them away would be my preference. That device would of course be expensive too. Or the sonar beacon firing I mentioned above.
    The low cost method would be to power down the sub and wait for the sea emperor to pass by.
  • Breacher64Breacher64 Reapers Stomach Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207810Members
    The_Shark wrote: »
    So, based on the fact that the Reaper is already dangerous as all hell, and that the Emperor is meant to be bigger and more dangerous, I had a thought. Maybe to up the fear factor of the Sea Emperor, it should be able to do damage to the Cyclops when it's above the safe depth (as if it were a collision below that depth) and three times that much below the safe depth. Thoughts?

Its a huge creature with huge jaws. I think it should be able to rip into the Cyclops with ease. And maybe a little animation where it grabs the back of the Cyclops and shakes it like the reaper does to the Seamoth.
    The_Shark wrote: »

...I hope you realize that that's kinda the point. I don't like the idea of invincibility.

I'm glad you read my whole comment. I already mentioned that the Cyclops is not invincible.
    edited September 2015
    Realistically, something like the Cyclops has to be extremely durable considering that it can dive to great depths. Large creatures shouldn't be able to strait up total the craft - that makes no sense. Now, if the sub is 3000 meters down and it gets rammed that's a different story. A pressure vessel can crush easily when its structural integrity is disturbed in the slightest due to greater strain involved. The thing is, the Reaper can already do that... so the Sea Emperor should only be capable of moderately more damage because, although it is larger, it's still a flesh and bone creature capable of only so much.

I think the best strategy would be to have the craft rammed initially, then the Emperor latches on, and then it slowly starts to crush the craft (like if it were at crush depth).
  • zakhm123zakhm123 England Join Date: 2015-08-22 Member: 207386Members
    When in the cyclops there is nothing to fear, so I think the sea emperor should be able to completely **** up the cyclops and any people/seamoths/both that happen to be inside
  • MarutMarut nonya-buzniz Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207866Members
    zakhm123 wrote: »
    When in the cyclops there is nothing to fear, so I think the sea emperor should be able to completely **** up the cyclops and any people/seamoths/both that happen to be inside

There at the very least, as stated in above comments, must be something we can do to prevent getting effed up. For instance: what if the seamoth could actually be faster than the sea emperor? Still can't kill it, but the whole idea about this game is that we aren't the scariest thing around right?
    Marut wrote: »
    zakhm123 wrote: »

There at the very least, as stated in above comments, must be something we can do to prevent getting effed up. For instance: what if the seamoth could actually be faster than the sea emperor? Still can't kill it, but the whole idea about this game is that we aren't the scariest thing around right?

I do agree that with anything, there needs to be an escape method. Having the Emperor able to damage the Cyclops would mean there would have to be a balance, so being able to escape in the Seamoth seems perfect to me.
  • LinfomaLinfoma Portugal Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207791Members
    To me the emperor should be able to destroy the cyclops to give players something to think about and not think they can go anywhere without consequences, of course that some defensive and/or escape mechanics should be implemented, personally i don't think the seamoth would be it cuz if the emperor is wrapped around the cyclops you wouldn't be able to open the door, but i can imagine a little life pod build in the cyclops that u get in during the attack and shoots you to the surface, of course this would be as a last resort if all else fails, i don't like the idea that the emperor destroys your cyclops every time u see it... but yes it should be able to do it in the right circumstances and if you dont do anything to counter him , this would give more realism and to make player be more alert,carefull and scared :D>:)