Intentional or Oversight?

YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
I was commanding of Refinery earlier today, we had about 3 eggs, I choose to evolve one egg to Gorge and within 3 seconds a skulk exploded out of so that res was effectively wasted, was this intentional or forgotten about?

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2015
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    I was commanding of Refinery earlier today, we had about 3 eggs, I choose to evolve one egg to Gorge and within 3 seconds a skulk exploded out of so that res was effectively wasted, was this intentional or forgotten about?

It's intended so players are not forced to play certain lifeforms/ take eggs intended for other players (happened in the past). But the team resources should have been refunded to you unless you had 200 tres at that point.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yojimbo wrote: »

It's intended so players are not forced to play certain lifeforms/ take eggs intended for other players (happened in the past). But the team resources should have been refunded to you unless you had 200 tres at that point.

Thanks ghoul, I didn't check res after the skulk spawned, I'll check it out again sometime!
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Ah yes, I remember spawning in a fade egg in my first ever game, had no fucking clue what to do with that.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    sotanaht wrote: »
    Ah yes, I remember spawning in a fade egg in my first ever game, had no fucking clue what to do with that.
    Probably:
    "Oh fuck yeah, check out these clawed arms! Come here marines muahhaha!"
    *blam blam blam blam!*
    "WTF I'm dead. THIS GAME SUCKS"

Martigen wrote: »
    Probably:
    "Oh fuck yeah, check out these clawed arms! Come here marines muahhaha!"
    *blam blam blam blam!*
    "WTF I'm dead. THIS GAME SUCKS"

Actually not a single part of that is true.

Before joining my first game I had watched some of the tutorial vids at the time and tested everything in sandbox. Unfortunately, I COMPLETELY misunderstood everything that was said about the fade and thought it was supposed to be a stealthy assassin type (the word "assassin" was probably used in the vid). I also didn't understand what the obs/scan visual effect meant, didn't know that aliens had a map at all (so I was extra confused as to what was going on), and really just botched pretty much everything. Pretty sure it was a flamethrower that got me anyway.

But I never blamed the game for my lack of understanding. The only thing I blamed the game for was not having a single player/bot/tutorial mode that could help keep me from outright embarrassing myself like that in a live game.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    But I never blamed the game for my lack of understanding. The only thing I blamed the game for was not having a single player/bot/tutorial mode that could help keep me from outright embarrassing myself like that in a live game.

You do know that there is a bot mode now? (well, for quite some time now actually).
    Asraniel wrote: »

You do know that there is a bot mode now? (well, for quite some time now actually).

I started in November 2012. Just talking about my experiences way back when.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    edited August 2015
    @GhoulofGSG9
    @Yojimbo

wouldn't it be better to have it so that a player will preferentially spawn out of a normal egg and leave it at that?

cancelling a commander selected egg is literally punishing the commander and team for something entirely out of their control. if you're out of eggs, force them to play as whatever life form. if you're not out of eggs, just have them spawn in another egg basically.

the tres is often-times trivial, the fact that it will take 30 seconds to grown another damn gorge egg and you can't mist it is not.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Dropping lifeform eggs should just be removed from the game entirely
    mattji104 wrote: »

why?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    amoral wrote: »
    mattji104 wrote: »

why?

It delays the game ending when it should.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    More like accelerates it, considering if its that far along into a round aliens statistically will be winning.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yea, It's rare that you see a commander drop an emergency lifeform egg to prolong the game..
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    Yea, It's rare that you see a commander drop an emergency lifeform egg to prolong the game..

the fact that by the time you grow a gorge egg, they've pretty much already arcced down the hive doesn't help matters too much