Desalination

alucardx13alucardx13 Kansas Join Date: 2015-08-26 Member: 207503Members
How feasible would a desalination device be? A machine, or maybe a room that steadily takes the surrounding salt water and splits it into salt and potable water. For cost, I could imagine that it takes a steady amount of power to run, but if you have enough energy for your base you could turn it on, go off exploring for the day, and then come back to a refreshing glass of water and some salt to cure your catches of the day.

Comments

• The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Love it. I'm thinking a small room, maybe the size of a normal corridor. It draws in water from the surrounding sea. and you can use 100 power to have it make 5 bottles of pure water and 5 pieces of salt, but it'll take about 20 minutes. That sound okay?
  • alucardx13alucardx13 Kansas Join Date: 2015-08-26 Member: 207503Members
    Exactly! I got the game yesterday and have been having a blast with it, but the small size of salt deposits make them difficult to find sometimes. Given that we're literally swimming in the stuff, seems reasonable to have a means to grab it.

And another thought, I was thinking about how this could go along with a hydroponics room to grow creepvines/other plants. Would it make sense to require a garden to use clean water rather than salt water? These two rooms could compliment each other, then: you get clear water from the Desalination Module, and whatever you don't drink is used to help grow plants. Add in a Fish Farm Module, and you've got three rooms playing off eachother.

Desalination Module: Produces Filtered Water and Salt, requires power.
    Hydroponics Module: Produces flora (grown with Filtered Water).
    Hatchery Module: Produces fauna (can be cured with Salt)
    alucardx13 wrote: »
    Desalination Module: Produces Filtered Water and Salt, requires power.
    Hatchery Module: Produces fauna (can be cured with Salt)

You have just shortened the million-and-one things people want for farming, to a list of three that can do everything. I salute you my friend.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    If it's local plants i'd try to grow them with saltwater. And that's probably the only thing i would wanna grow in a module: Treeshrooms and creepvine. For easier med-kit crafting and to give those damn bioreactors a use already.

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited August 2015
    A real world Desalinator can make 6 gallons of clean water in a day.
    that's enough to quench 24 people, indefinitely.
    And this is a pocket sized, hand pumped "Survival Kit/Bugout bag" model.
    With one the size of a Corridor using 100 Power, making 5 bottles of water is just hilarious. That's like 4 Gallons less than the portable ones we have today.

I don't think we'll be getting one because any high tech/futuristic desalinator would be either completely OP, or totally unrealistically pathetic (I.e. one the size of a Corridor making less than a gallon of water on 100 freaking power)

Unless something is added that requires a VAST amount of pure water, you might as well just remove the thirst stat once you get a Desalinator.
    The_Shark wrote: »
    You have just shortened the million-and-one things people want for farming, to a list of three that can do everything. I salute you my friend.
    These are pretty much the only 3 things that have ever been suggested for farming, though. Multiple threads asking for hydroponics doesn't mean they're different suggestions.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited August 2015
    Google 'reverse osmosis' and 'flash desalination'. Water problems solved.

Don't forget the potential for direct mineral extraction and concentration using seawater, either. All are possible with the current IRL technology level, too.

Unless something is added that requires a VAST amount of pure water, you might as well just remove the thirst stat once you get a Desalinator.

And is that a bad thing?

When I play survival games like this, one of my major goals is to become as self sufficient as possible, to build a base with the infrastructure to provide for all my needs.

I consider it an accomplishment when I create a Minecraft home with a farm large enough to provide a steady amount of food, because then I can focus on exploring rather than scavenging a meal each day.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    edited August 2015
    No one ever thought why we can breathe with ease inside our underwater stations without needing air tanks en masse?

Obviously the use of an oxygenator that converts the used air back into breathable air. A more complex system than a machine that transforms salt water into drinking water.

We don't really need a boring and stupid system to manually hunt fish and produce bleach to get water bottles. It's dull and tedious gameplay.

I'd suggest integrating the food and water problem into a general fish farming system, which will be more fun:

- hunt different varieties of fish with different strategies
    - put them into a giant aquarium or fish farm container
    - the container can get upgraded with processing units
    - analyser units for different components: nutrients, dna & biomolecules, sonic samples
    - a unit that cooks or prepares the fish for food from the aquarium or fish farm
    - get drinking water from a desalination unit
    - a fish breeding or genetic laboratory to produce fish or biomaterial
    - a coupled pet fish tank to feed bigger fishes that can be used as pets or companions underwater

So the game would be hunt the fish, research the fish, upgrade the aquarium, breed stock, train pet fish, ...

Far more interesting than just hunt fish and gather bleach to eat and drink.

When I play survival games like this, one of my major goals is to become as self sufficient as possible, to build a base with the infrastructure to provide for all my needs.

I consider it an accomplishment when I create a Minecraft home with a farm large enough to provide a steady amount of food, because then I can focus on exploring rather than scavenging a meal each day.

Exactly my thoughts. I don't want to go around spending like twenty minutes searching for Airsacks all the time. Once I get to a certain tech level, there should just be a way to work around that, like desalination.
  • jdanilovjdanilov Join Date: 2015-08-25 Member: 207459Members
    Yeah. Totally agree with what was said.

Current system of scavenging is just easy to implement but tedious and should be replaced by semi-automatic resources production.

That should include everything including water, oxygen for the base, energy, food, ores extraction from seabed, fauna and flora growth and harvesting. Everything. Even a transportation of energy and ore resources from distant extractors built on ore deposits should be automated by waypointed drones.

Getting this self-sustainable system to work is much more interesting and challenging at the same time from gameplay perspective. I wrote a separate post on this idea.
  • jdanilovjdanilov Join Date: 2015-08-25 Member: 207459Members
    As a bonus point you get the seabed cleaned from all that junk unrealistic resources laying around.
    And with a hatchery, there's less risk of depopulating all the fish around your base. The way it looks now, by the time I've got an Observatory there won't be any wildlife to observe.
    The way it looks now, by the time I've got an Observatory there won't be any wildlife to observe.

That's another issue. Why don't more fish spawn unless they're going to implement breeding?