Praise and Suggestions

ArlackArlack Michigan Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207163Members
edited August 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
While wandering around Steam looking for something to scratch an itch, and itch I was unsure how to scratch, I came upon your game, and thought to myself "Yeah that'll do it". Now 99% of my games over the last few years have been <$10, and maybe 75% of those have been <$5. I have a small budget for gaming right now. I decided to go for it, and paid full price for the game. And I am thankful I did. Your game is great! I have been gaming for some 20 years now, so I've seen many games, and I have dabbled with many early access games. Subnautica stands above most of them. The game looks great, has a wonderful atmosphere, and plenty of content already in it for the $20 price tag. I have put 27 hours in so far, and though I'm "done" with the content, I'm still wandering around and building a nice huge base. hehe So thank you for the wonderful game, and keep up the good work!
Now that I have the praise done with, I'd like to make a few suggestions, as I can't seem to get the game outta my head. :-P
Now, I am not a forum wanderer for the most part. So I have not gone around looking at suggestions from anyone else, nor have I looked at what you have planned. So if I am saying stuff said before, or planned, sorry. :smile:
General thoughts:
  • Depth that matters. The cyclops is the only thing that has to worry about depth, **And the depth warning, before I even knew about the ships, is really bothersome, please have it only display for the current transportation method** It would be nice if our suit (though the shadow shows us without a helm!) could only go so far, and we have to build better ones to go deeper. And the Seamoth should have depth restrictions too, and have upgrades to increase it. This could help to serve balance, and structure when we can go places.
  • A dock for the Cyclops. (Could be as simple as a port facing up that connects to the player exit, or as complex as the Seamoths dock.) For power and perhaps item transfer.
  • Ship upgrades. It would be grand, with depth restrictions, to have our tools be able to be connected to our ships. So we can still collect things without entering water our suits can't take, but our ships can. I'd suggest having a permanent attachment, and it pull it's power right from the ship.
  • A way to move items with ease, and perhaps sorting into specified containers.
  • Lighting. At deeper depths it feels too bright.
  • Power that matters. Right now it's just for crafting. But it should be for lights, and oxygen. It would be nice to have lights we can turn on/off to conserve power. Not just for the buildings, but for the ships as well. Being able to shut off our ships lights could help us hide from monsters, as well as not drain power when we are not in need of it. Each room should have a maximum oxygen it can hold, and closed bulkheads would stop "flow" so when you are on your ship, or in your base, it eats a small amount of power to supply fresh air. If things flood, it would displace the air, and after you fix things, would have to expend energy to fill it back with air. This would surely add more depth to our immersion, and give us more of a reason to worry about our power.
  • Is there some kind of "endgame" planned? Will we eventually have a story end? Fix the Aurora? Craft a space ship to return home? Build a communication device to contact home? Or are we to die here alone? What shot us down? Kinda got me interested in the story. :-P
  • And speaking of the Aurora, can we break it down please? *laugh* We could get lots of scrap, and other things from it.
  • Multiplayer. I know you guys have thought about this one. For me, a game like this is only maybe 1/4th as much fun alone as it would be with friends. I have a few who are interested, but only plan to get it once they can play with friends. As well as my wife and two of my children, they don't want to buy a copy unless they can play with me. hehe Just want to add my voice in the "Please get multiplayer going asap!" group.
  • Mod support. As a person who has played Minecraft, Terraria, Starbound and it feels like countless others, mods matter a great deal. They allow your game to have more longevity. As it stands, a player gets done with your content, and tells all there friends how great it is, but a couple weeks after "beating" it, they move on, and stop talking about it. But with mods, if you can grow a active community, you can expand that to months, or years. Minecraft itself is an alright game, but with mods it can become soooo much more.
Weather: I would love some weather!
  • Thunderstorms, lightning, rain. Make the world feel more alive. It could darken the world during the day.
  • Currents. Having flowing water force us and our ships to move somewhat out of our control would add some fun. It could be played with by the weather as well.
  • Hurricane. Prolonged storm, bringing with it lots of water movement, move around the sand and make visibility lower.
  • Tornado. Strong localized winds would damage to ships and structures too close to it, force you to stay deep while it goes away, or if you or your ship are caught in it, flung around.
Base Modules:
  • Greenhouse. A place for us to grow plants. Eating power to provide food. Now, this one would not have to be flashy, closed tanks or whatever would work.
  • Oxygen generator. A module that supplies the base with air.
  • Larger observatory. The one we have is nice, but a larger model would be great. :-)
  • Garden. A room for plants from home. I'm sure we could scavenge some seeds from the Aurora so we can grow some shrubs right? hehe It would add some "home" feel to our base, as well as some diversity, a wonderful large room full of plants we can walk in, like a small park kinda thing.
  • Fish breeding pool. An "indoor" pool where we can have varies fish breed, so help with our food supply.
  • A larger room
  • Genetics lab. We are on an alien world, we should probably see if we can use some of these things in more interesting ways, expand our lung capacity, track creatures better, all sorts of things.
  • Current generator. Use the above mentioned currents to generate power.
As you can see I have been thinking about your game a good deal. *laugh* And that is high praise! Again, sorry if this is overly long, or repeating other peoples suggestions. Keep up the great work. I can't wait to see what else you do with the game.

Edit: More content!
  • Lightning rod. Could be used to gather energy for our base if connected to a structure. Could also create glass if put in sand. hehe
  • Waves. It sure would add to the atmosphere if we had moving waves, have our craft bob up and down and whatnot.
  • Backpacks! It would be nice to have a slot on our gear, for a backpack. We could have one for storage, one for oxygen, one for energy, and more.
  • More gear. More gloves, say ones that increase swim speed, recharge gear.
  • Anchors. If using currents, a way to force ourselves to not get washed away would be good. One time or reusable anchors, perhaps a launcher with a harpoon type thing, or just a weight that drags along to stop us.

Comments

• ArlackArlack Michigan Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207163Members
    • Ooooh, a proper air lock!
    • Animation for using the ladders.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    You said: "The cyclops is the only thing that has to worry about depth, ... And the SeaMoth should have depth restrictions too, and have upgrades to increase it. "

This is incorrect as the SeaMoth also has depth restrictions. I get to about 125m, I think, and I get warnings when in the Sea Moth about depth and the damage it can cause. I also find that when my Sea Moth is docked in my Cyclops and I take the Cyclops (which I have reinforced to be able to go down to 1000m) below 125m, I get depth warnings again. When I remove the SeaMoth and continue diving in my Cyclops, the depth warnings disappeared until I reach 900/1000m.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Oh, I'd also like to add that having multiple save slots when wishing to save a game would be nice. At the moment whenever you save a game it appears to overwrite the previous one. This risks losing everything if a save file should become corrupted for whatever reason. If you could have multiple save slots then your chances of losing all to a corrupt file is lessened.
  • ArlackArlack Michigan Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207163Members
    I have taken the Seamoth well beyond the depth of the Cyclops's max, with no damage. Without any upgrades in it I took it to 800m and it did not suffer anything.