Instead of ladders...

EntomoligistEntomoligist United States Join Date: 2015-08-09 Member: 206958Members
When I'm building a base in Subnautica, I try my hardest to not use ladders. I hate the way the ladders work. And while thinking about this, I thought that maybe there should be more ways of going up and down without using plain old ladders. So, I'm thinking of some kind of elevator that is pulled by a lever and slowly moves up or down to whatever floor you want. It would either be an attachment to the rooms, or maybe a completely different base part itself. It could have windows on the side so you could look around while transitioning floors, kind of like what is done in fancy hotels and such.
Also, you know how games use the idea of minecarts to get across places? I was thinking of something like that but underwater, like an underwater ski lift that you could program to move you to different bases, or areas. It would be like a moving observatory.

Comments

• Mr357Mr357 Join Date: 2015-03-31 Member: 202777Members
    I saw this suggested recently, and I think it's a great idea! I'd like to see not only elevators in bases, but an elevator that can go hundreds of meters underwater for things like heavy duty mining and exosuit transportation.
  • destroyah87destroyah87 Join Date: 2015-08-08 Member: 206913Members
    Ramp corridors would also be super cool.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members

Or how about stairs?
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    If you look on scetchfab they already got a model for stairs so it might come soon!
  • EntomoligistEntomoligist United States Join Date: 2015-08-09 Member: 206958Members
    lussebull wrote: »
    If you look on scetchfab they already got a model for stairs so it might come soon!

That's amazing! So would the stairs be another way to move up instead of the ladders?
  • destroyah87destroyah87 Join Date: 2015-08-08 Member: 206913Members

Or how about stairs?

Stairs are perfectly fine as well.

After all, Ramps are just stairs with a nearly infinite number of very very very tiny steps. :smile:
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    I was thinking of something like that but underwater, like an underwater ski lift that you could program to move you to different bases, or areas. It would be like a moving observatory.
    The word you're looking for is Monorail m8

though I don't think our bases are gonna get big enough yet to facilitate the need for a monorail, unless you're building your bases apart, yet still pretty close to it.
    Still, diagonal ramp/stair corridors would be rad. BUT, we also need to be able to rotate ladders.
    I hate so much when they get in the way because you can't turn them long ways.
  • EntomoligistEntomoligist United States Join Date: 2015-08-09 Member: 206958Members
    I was thinking of something like that but underwater, like an underwater ski lift that you could program to move you to different bases, or areas. It would be like a moving observatory.
    The word you're looking for is Monorail m8

though I don't think our bases are gonna get big enough yet to facilitate the need for a monorail, unless you're building your bases apart, yet still pretty close to it.
    Still, diagonal ramp/stair corridors would be rad. BUT, we also need to be able to rotate ladders.
    I hate so much when they get in the way because you can't turn them long ways.

I just feel that the bases have not much purpose. And they do, as in placing the tech and stuff, but building just one simple room will be good for all of that. I wish there would be some kind of larger machine of something that would take up a lot of building space, requiring people to build more than just a room or two.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members

Or how about stairs?

Stairs are perfectly fine as well.

After all, Ramps are just stairs with a nearly infinite number of very very very tiny steps. :smile:

I like your style ^^
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    turbo lifts would be amazing
  • IsenfalkIsenfalk Germany Join Date: 2015-08-09 Member: 206932Members
    A lift would be great. That would do great instead of the 200m ladder down to the mushroom cave

And the minecart would do great, as I build looong corridors that cross whole areas
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Also I'd like actual ladder climbing animations, like we do with the door and such.

Sure it might take a little longer, but that just means you'd have to put more consideration into base design.
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members

I had the same thought. so you have two tubes to be connected. You build a special coupler on the end of each tube to be joined, and upon completion of the second coupler, a ramped tube appears and connects the couplers. this I think would only work in a straight line, but would give the same effect as the hall way in the Aurora.
  • PajamaJamsPajamaJams Boulder, CO Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207121Members
    UNDERWATER TRAIN SYSTEM!
  • silverfearsilverfear belgium Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205112Members
    Mr357 wrote: »
    I saw this suggested recently, and I think it's a great idea! I'd like to see not only elevators in bases, but an elevator that can go hundreds of meters underwater for things like heavy duty mining and exosuit transportation.

make the ellovator shaft from enambled glass when u go up and down u have a nice view in and outside when co - op game comes
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    Turbo lift in a glass tube. That would be a sweet thing indeed.
  • ArchiteuthisDonksArchiteuthisDonks Internet Join Date: 2015-08-20 Member: 207340Members
    I'd second the idea of ramps/diagonal corridors; I think that would really improve/vary the look of seabases.

With regard to elevators and lifts, what about something that runs along a cable?
    The player places cable terminals at the top and bottom, and the 'cable car' runs along the line- which can connect any two points that are clear of collisions.

I'm picturing something like a ring-shaped bathysphere, with the cable mounted in the center. You could have a small personnel-size unit, and a larger one for transporting the exosuit.

Equally, placing multiple cable terminals with a car mounted below the cable could create a sea-spanning 'railroad' network for the player that wants to stay dry.
    Just gonna say again

rotate ladders