Aircraft Suggestion

ArrowHoundArrowHound Ireland Join Date: 2015-07-31 Member: 206589Members
edited August 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
Hey everyone, I'm here to suggest a couple ideas of mine that I thought could be an interesting addition to Subnautica.

My first idea is the addition of a new mode of transport. This would involve aircraft.
Now I know what most of you are thinking, "Why on earth would we need a plane in a underwater based game?". Am I right? Well Here's my reasoning: Moving around in Subnautica can be slow and treacherous and it will be even more so in the future. Introducing a sort of aircraft could be a way around this and would allow a safer and faster mode of travel, allowing the player to move from area to area without much trouble.
"This sounds a bit over powered."
At first it is easy to think that this is a vehicle that can allow a player to go anywhere without trouble. Giving an opportunity to stop and strip the nearby area of all it's resources whenever and wherever you please. However I have a solution to this.
Runways/landing pads could be introduced so that the vehicle can only go from place to place instead of landing anywhere in the ocean. The whole idea for this was to aid in travel from A-B, no more, no less.
I also hear that there will be flying fish involved soon so they could be provided as a threat for the game.
"I don't think this has enough reason to be in the game."
Rightly said. From what I've told you it does not in fact need to be here. But imagine this combined with the implementation of multi-player! It would be incredibly fun to fly in the sky in a jet plane or helicopter with your friends! If player vs player was also implemented we could have a lazer like weapon that shoots other aircraft. But don't worry! These wont be for targeting wildlife!
And imagine what this could add to the Aurora, areas of it could be designed to only be accessed by certain aircraft.
"Ok, so what kind of aircraft will there be?"
I have 2 main kinds of aircraft to suggest.
#1) Jet: Capable of fast travel while carrying little to no cargo. If air to air weapons are implemented, this will have superior fire power.
#2) Helicopter: Slower travel speeds than the jet while being able to hold more cargo. No on-board weapons.
"What will these look like? What will they be called?"
While I don't have any completely finished examples of the jet, I'd like to suggest a shape to model it after. I'd like the jet to be modelled after a real-life jet named "De Havilland Venom". Example:
hmfpwaaoq49q.jpg
This jet seems to fit Subnautica's technology style which is why I suggested this one. With a few tweeks to the shape and a new paint job it could be very suited to the game.
As for the helicopter I have no suggestions for a model. However I don't think the dev team will have trouble coming up with ideas.
Naming the two vehicles is something I'll leave up to the community/devs to suggest.

So do you like the idea of adding 2 air based vehicles? This is something I thought would be really cool to add while also having an actual function in the game.
I'm also pretty new to the forums so don't be to harsh on me!
Thanks for reading! =)

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    >Jet fighters
    >Air to air weaponry

Oh yeah can't wait to dogfight with those Reapers stuffed into F-16's

How about instead of Ace Combat, you suggest something that actually fits into the game? No offence, m8, but this is a submarine game. Not a space marine game.

Something like a VTOL craft that can transform between hover and high speed modes, as well as transform into a shallow water submersible.
    And then a slower, larger VTOL craft that can carry large supply crates or Exo-suits, but doesn't go underwater.
  • LeuenteichLeuenteich Germany Join Date: 2015-08-18 Member: 207258Members
    I thought of some kind of aircraft too, but more of a helicopter (more intuitive controls) for getting access to parts of the aurora. Generally, there aren't any wepons meant as lethal implemented in the game and this will stay so (as far as i know). Multiplayer will take it's time too, but having some kind of helicopter-dogfight with propulsion-cannons would be fun.
    For landing: wether you make it a transforming/amphibious Vehicle or you add some kind of ship or a landing pad as a base part.