Airbladder, Divereel and Dumb ways to Die

LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
edited July 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
Hello guys, I've played some hours of Subnautica just now and I had some thoughts that id like to share. Previously, I got myself a "Mysterious Signal" (while dying repeatedly by hungry reapers) and today i finally had time to set sail to those caves, turns out I found the.. mushroom forest caves? I hope they are called that way. Anyway, I got there and explored until I suffocated. How'd that happen? Well most parts of the cave are excessible with the seamoth (barely) but sadly most of parts of the caves are also below the crush threshold of the seamoth. So I needed to explore by swimming around, getting back to the seamoth for air, repeat. But that last time I got lost, dang. Luckily for me, there would have been a way to not get lost by building the dive reel. However that thing takes another one of my precious quick access slots 1-5 which I didnt want to cause those things are all used and very precious to me. So I didnt build a divereel, which ultimately led to my darwin-award-worthy demise. Well to be honest, even without the dive reel i should be able to not get lost since my seamoth is blinking so i know the general direction. But thanks to previous.. complications.. *cough* reapers *cough* 2 other blinking icons of my former seamoths were around aswell, confusing me and actually luring me deeper into the caves, when i found out about their evil plans it was already too late. Well there i was, back at the beginning, with my Seamoth back in the caves. I got it back but i had enough of those damn caves so i went back home. Then i crafted myself an airbladder. Pretty cool thing, however completely useless, as swimming up with the seaglide is faster than using the airbladder. Which I guess makes sense, but still I wish the airbladder would be faster. (RATING: NOT GOOD ENOUGH) Also it takes away ANOTHER of my precious quicktime slots, so now its rotting away in the locker. I hope you all enjoyed my story. The things I want to have changed since today would be:
  1. I would like more hotkeys, for example 1-9 OR
  2. Make the divereel and the airbladder something like the compass and the thermometer, which you equip, this would cause them to not use space in your inventory, and then add specific hotkeys to activate their respective abilities (like Q and G or something)
  3. Make the user of the airbladder ascend faster, otherwise there is no real reason to use it once you have a seaglide
  4. Make the blinking of a useless and destroyed Seamoth go away.

So, what do you think about my ideas? Sensible? Stupid? Banana?
Have a nice day!

EDIT: Also i found about three times as much gold as i found silver this playthrough, no idea why, but the struggle is real cause no computer chips :(

Comments

• LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    I just realised since nobody commented on here how nobody cares about divereel and airbladder. Well damn. I guess we could just delete them from the game since they dont matter in their current state..
  • Mr357Mr357 Join Date: 2015-03-31 Member: 202777Members
    Lightdevil wrote: »
    I just realised since nobody commented on here how nobody cares about divereel and airbladder. Well damn. I guess we could just delete them from the game since they dont matter in their current state..

I use both of them early on when I need to scavenge the Kelp forests without a Seaglide or Seamoth. Using the air bladder and swimming in a spiral is an easy way to shake of Stalkers. The dive reel usually isn't necessary for finding my way back, but it's a good reminder that I've been under for too long or that I'm swimming too far.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    I've actually yet to use the dive reel because the darker deeper caves are kinda spooky
  • Error_MackroError_Mackro N Join Date: 2015-07-30 Member: 206541Members
    edited August 2015
    Lightdevil wrote: »

I actually used the air bladder a crap ton during the early game. In fact, I still used it after I got the sea glide and other stuff because it's a fast power free way to go to the surface or just rise in the depth when it was hotkeyd. I left it on inflated mode and just quick switched to it between that and the seaglide for mobility. I'm not against adjustments to it but I found it VERY useful. Dive reel I can't speak for.

But anyway for your OP, just some quick glancing thoughts since you wanted feedback

1. Maybe, I can see this being okay because you have limited inventory space anyway and you can't carry everything. Some could make a case that you should strategize your hotkey items beforehand, but I don't know how many items they'll have for you to equip at launch so if they add a lot you may need more hotkey spaces.

2. Don't know how I feel about this. You'd be turning them from equipped items to status buffs. I think they're intended to take space(they only use one slot right?) because like most tools they do something useful and have a cost/benefit, the cost being they take up inventory and the benefit is whatever they do. I feel the air bladder is useful enough to warrant a slot. The temp and compass are just passive info readings like the default UI bars.

3. See first paragraph.

4.This I agree, but it's trivial, because that's an alpha oversight, they're supposed to explode and be destroyed. It's on there trello to do list.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    Every time I go to the jelly shroom caves I take a dive reel so it is easier to find my way out. I sometimes do this with the aurora too, so I can remember where I've been. I don't know if it's a glitch that I can use it in the aurora or not but its still cool. Also, early on in game I use an air bladder to quickly get to the waters surface or escape predators when I'm in the creepvine forest or blood kelp biomes.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    edited June 2016
    The dive reel is pretty much useless, since it doesn't leave a trail, it just constantly points back at the spot you deployed the anchor. In a twisty wreck or tunnel system, this is useless, and those are the places you are supposed use a dive reel...

The air bladder is a very nice thing to have, especially in the early game.

Look for silver in the Grassy Plateaus, Kelp Forest Caves, and Thermal Vents.