About Trello card : Improve rookie system

UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
@CDT

About:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_0HK0evj0EsQHFAjr0xHZZWHDg1aS2W8Sqi6oy1Gx_s/edit

I've been reading that and i think something should be clarified.

Bullet "Enforce an interactive basic tutorial"
It looks like you put aside the fact there's is already an interactive tutorial which is not bad at all. The sound is a little strange with a 10khz tone in the background but fine non the less. I just did it to verify, and it's not broken. Except the enemies aren't really reactive (different code?) it's fine. It is a step by step system (trigger), Inside the game itself... all we need ?

I may be wrong but re-using it or re-shaping it would do a great job. I mean the bullet (challenges) can be included in. Let's call it "interactive tutorial system", i will use ITS

So i have some question / fact to confirm about ITS.
  • Is the ITS is made with script only, entities (trigger type) + script, only entities ? What is a trigger entity for me ? If you know Crysis you probably see what I'm talking about. It's like a "Join team entity". If you enter in it, you trigger an event like lights off, teleportation, damage etc...
  • If it is a entity system it would be nice to enable it in the editor. Is it available but not enabled ?

We would be able to make single player games with only a bunch of these entities... Custom tutorials...

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @ironhorse would be best to answer this as it is his document.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2015
    Players who complete that tutorial know how to build a powernode and a resource tower and what an alien looks like. I consider that wholly inadequate, personally.
    But yea, something around that length or a tad longer, and something that covers a bit more of the big picture / a realistic scenario.

Players need to understand the goal of the round and what is expected.. think of how dirtybomb shows you before every round starts, or how TF2 gives those videos for each game mode. Big picture

edit: and yea we need to develop an event triggering system in order for the ITS to work
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Would it be super difficult to make one of those mini-cinematics like dirtybomb before every game start, instead of the generic countdown and zone in on your player model? Like, just a simple: This is a hive, kill it = win. This is a harvester, it gives enemy team resources.

And then, of course, an option for veterans to disable it - because fuck I hate that I can't do that in dirty bomb.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I like that idea, have either decoy or rantology speak some text for it. In my opinion a female voice is more relaxing than... well for example megas or wasabis voice
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    IronHorse wrote: »
    edit: and yea we need to develop an event triggering system in order for the ITS to work

The thing i see it that it's already here (whatever the system/method for triggering the next step). Can it be re-used ?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2015
    IronHorse wrote: »

The thing i see it that it's already here (whatever the system/method for triggering the next step). Can it be re-used ?
    It's actually not, at least not in the capacity that we need.
    For instance, currently there is no way to know whether you successfully wallhopped or not, or stood in the right spot to teach positioning, or whether you killed the lerk and the skulk and built X etc.

The current tutorial actually coded all of that manually, instead. Which is just way too cumbersome for creating a robust tutorial(s)

@SantaClaws I wanted to do exactly this as a replacement to forced tutorial simply because by the very natural of enforcing it, it must now be short.. which is counter productive to being "all encompassing".
    However, I was vetoed, with the opinion that people do not like vids, even short vids. I wholeheartedly disagree (like how i mentioned TF2 videos) of course.. but it is what it is.
    The advanced tutorials are the easy part because theyre optional. The hard part is cramming the big picture into a digestible interactive, brief format...