Publishing Maps with Custom Entities

Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
edited July 2015 in Mapping
I've recently published a custom map that required the use of several custom entities and code. As such, to develop and test this map I required the custom code in my mods Output folder, along with all custom assets. When deploying the mod, the entire mod setup is published which includes the custom code etc. as well as the map.

I don't want the custom code to be published along with the map as that code should already exist on the server itself. Aside from writing a script to copy out the custom code before publishing, is there a config for publishing that lets us specify what folders/files we want to include in the Publish (or exclude?)

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I've recently published a custom map that required the use of several custom entities and code. As such, to develop and test this map I required the custom code in my mods Output folder, along with all custom assets. When deploying the mod, the entire mod setup is published which includes the custom code etc. as well as the map.

I don't want the custom code to be published along with the map as that code should already exist on the server itself. Aside from writing a script to copy out the custom code before publishing, is there a config for publishing that lets us specify what folders/files we want to include in the Publish (or exclude?)

Servers use the same mods that the clients do. If you want it on the server, it'll have to go to the client as well.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    edited July 2015
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

Servers use the same mods that the clients do. If you want it on the server, it'll have to go to the client as well.

True, but the client will download the dependency server mods. Using an entity from a plugin for example, would essentially mean "this map depends on X plugin" which would require the server to be running said plugin otherwise the entities would not exist.

Having a dozen maps use a dozen different code bases for their entities is a bad idea IMO.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

True, but the client will download the dependency server mods. Using an entity from a plugin for example, would essentially mean "this map depends on X plugin" which would require the server to be running said plugin otherwise the entities would not exist.

Having a dozen maps use a dozen different code bases for their entities is a bad idea IMO.

OH I see, I misunderstood. I thought you meant these custom entities were ones you made for the map, not ones others made that you're using.

I'm not sure how to setup a mod dependency like that. :(
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2015

OH I see, I misunderstood. I thought you meant these custom entities were ones you made for the map, not ones others made that you're using.

I'm not sure how to setup a mod dependency like that. :(

It's currently not possible to simplify this as ns2 uses a old version of the steamworks api which doesn't support dependencies. So you have to trust server ops to set up mods correctly.

Because imho adding code to a map mod is a big NO GO maintenance wise.

It just forces mappers to also keep the given code up to date or otherwise their mod won't work, left alone it will make map mods useless once you stop maintaining them actively.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2015
    What about that steam feature where you can add required mods?
    nJV7h7S.png
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    The steam required mods is just a list that is shown on the mod page. It doesn't automatically make clients or servers download said required mods. So server operators or clients would still need to download both anyways.
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    What about that steam feature where you can add required mods?
    nJV7h7S.png

NS2 probably disregards that.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    Well it looks like I am out of luck for a built in solution. I guess I will have to use two seperate projects... one where I do the dev and the other to use for publishing of the actual map and related content. Probably a script to copy required files from one to another.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2015
    Well it looks like I am out of luck for a built in solution. I guess I will have to use two seperate projects... one where I do the dev and the other to use for publishing of the actual map and related content. Probably a script to copy required files from one to another.

I use symbolic links for that in my projects. Thanks to this explorer extensions it's also pretty easy to manage and create symbolic links under windows.

I use symbolic links for that in my projects. Thanks to this explorer extensions it's also pretty easy to manage and create symbolic links under windows.

Nice. Ill check that out. Thanks