Subnautica Suggestions

SegerSeger USA Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206268Members
Accidentally just posted this on the Natural Selection 2 forums!

Hey guys, so I love Subnautica and play it all the time but there are many improvements to be made, hence why it's in early access. Now I think that at least one of the devs, or maybe even all, should read the book Dark Life by Kat Falls. Now it's meant for children and it's around 300 pages long. The book is about an apocalyptic scenario in which the water rises and the whole East Coast of America sinks into the water. A few people live under the water, and they are called subsea pioneers. Now I'm not suggesting you just steal the whole plot, but I found that some of the things described in the book were very interesting. Here's a list of some things that would be cool to see in Subnautica that are from the book in case you don't want to read it. There are also some things that I think would be cool that aren't in the book, as well as some balancing fixes and such.

Farming (The subsea pioneers had large seaweed farms or plantations. In Subnautica, you could have creepvine instead of seaweed. The creepvine would need to be in the sunlight, or would have to have an artificial light source. There could be a hoe to put the land in rows for farming easier and maybe fences to fence off the area you are farming. Fertilizer could be made to make creepvines grow faster. The subsea pioneer's farms also had fish as sort of livestock, so there could be a breeding mechanism for fish. Finally, the subsea pioneer's farms had crustaceans that were kept in an enclosure and used as livestock. Subnautica definitely needs crustaceans and mollusks like crabs and clams.

Fish Tanks (This isn't really a major thing, in the book one of the character's room was filled with fish tanks holding a whole manner of fish she had caught. I think it would be cool if you were able to build fish tanks in an undersea base or on a cyclops and put fish in it, just for looking at or maybe as a way of preserving fish, which goes along with the new update that makes cooked fish rot. In a lot of sea food restaurants, there are big tanks that are used to store lobsters, and in Subnautica you can build a tank to store fish, so you don't have to go catch more when the food you have rots.\

Moon Pool (Hehe, I was about to write about how the subsea pioneers have moon pools in their houses, but I just saw that moon pools are already in development!)

Liquigen (So in the book there was this stuff called Liquigen that came in packets, which when you breathed it into your lungs, it let you breath underwater [or made it so you don't have to breath, I'm not sure] and it protected you from getting pressure sickness. Now you shouldn't steal the name if you are going to include it, but it would definitely be a cool addition. It has to be expensive and only lasts for a somewhat short amount of time though, or it will be really over powered.)

Trapping/Nets/Fishing Stuff (Now this isn't actually in the book but I thought I might include it anyway. There should be some sort of game mechanic in which you can catch fish and other sea life [crustaceans] in traps. I've seen people attempt to trap fish ingame with grav spheres but it's not incredibly effective. In real life, people trap lobsters with cages. Once crustaceans are added that would be a really cool addition to the game. Thousands of people head out each day on boats with nets, catching loads of fish just by going back and fourth while pulling the net behind the ship. There should be nets that can be attached to the seamoth or cyclops. Finally, there should be things you can use to fish. I don't know where you could go with this, my only idea is actually making fishing poles and standing on top of the life pod or a surfaced submarine or a hand held net. Now that I think about it, the stasis rifle can be used to freeze fish and then catch them, but I still think nets or fishing poles would be cool.)

Food Balance (Again, this isn't in the book either. Now this is something that has been bothering me for a while, why is it that the second highest food providing fish [Peeper] is found in the starting biome. The highest is the Spadefish, which makes sense because it's a lot harder to find than Peepers. It doesn't make any sense that one of the best types of fish in the game is found where you start. There's no point in catching fish other than the Peeper and the Spadefish, which makes all of the other fish [excluding the Airsack] obsolete. You'd expect to find the better fish in deeper areas that are harder to reach. More risk for more reward, right? Now the best way to fix this would be to add more fish that live deeper down and give them high food yields, higher than the Peeper. Lowering the Peeper's food yields may also help to fix it. It would also be cool if some of the new higher food yield fish that are found deep down actually fight back. When I say deep down, I mean like angler fish and viper eels. Now in real life, the fish that live near the bottom of the ocean in the hadalpelagic zone or trench zone are usually really freakish looking [due to lack of pigmentation and alien-like features] and nobody would want to eat them [nothing really lives down that far except for viperfish and jelly fish. A better example would be abyssopelagic zone or the bathypelagic zone]. Putting fish deep down that fight back would add a bit more challenge in the game. Finally, the other fish in the game like the Hoopfish and the Boomerang should have more use. The Airsack, the Peeper, and the Spadefish all have their uses, the Airsack gives you water and the Peeper and Spadefish give you lots of food. I can't really think of many uses for these fish other than including them in certain crafting recipes.)

Predator Hunting (I've completely strayed from the book now. Something that definitely needs to be added is killing predators like Stalkers. In the game now, from what I know when you hit a predator blood comes out but you can't seem to kill them. I could be wrong. Even if you do kill them, you can't loot them or take any meat from them. Again, I could be wrong don't quote me on this. It would be cool if you can kill the predators [not sure what you would kill it with, knife would be kind of hard. Read below for weapon ideas] and then possibly get meat that you can eat and maybe even item drops like Stalker Teeth.)

More Weapons (So what weapon or tool comes to mind when you think underwater? Well there's things like spears and tridents, which would be a cool addition, but the main thing I can think of are harpoons and harpoon guns. Now in Dark Life, the main weapons used by the subsea pioneers are harpoon guns. They also had harpistols, which were harpoon pistols. In Subnautica, harpoons could be used for hunting predators [read above for more about predator hunting] and defending yourself from dangerous sea life. Now this doesn't really go with the whole futuristic theme, but you could texture the spears, tridents, harpoons, harpoon guns, and harpistols futuristic textures.)

More Subs (So everyone is going to be asking for more subs but a lot of people aren't actually going to be providing ideas when they demand more subs. I think adding more subs would make the game more interesting and would make it go on longer, because once you have a seamoth, a cyclops, and a base, there's nothing else to do. I have a few ideas for more subs. My first idea is to add a MASSIVE sub that can store a cyclops or two inside it, just like the cyclops can store a seamoth. If you've ever seen the Disney movie Atlantis, the main sub in the movie is massive. A sub that size in Subnautica would be amazing. It would have to be really expensive. You would need an upgraded or advanced constructor, and you would need to build it over a deep area. It would be able to go some what deep, but not to far. Another sub idea is a sub that has either a drill/drills or terraformers on the front, as sort of a mining sub. It would be made almost entirely of plasteel except for a small viewing port. This means that it will be able to go really deep, but it will have a limited view due to the tiny viewing port. It can go straight into the sand and make large holes faster than digging down manually or with a terraformer. If you want to take this even further, you can make two subs, one with a drill/drills and one with terraformers. The terraformer one is more expensive than the drill one but goes faster. If you read the farming part above, you can make a hoe to put the land in rows. If the farming idea is used, there could be a sub specifically used for farming the land, kind of like a tractor or combine. It would have a hoeing function, a planting function, and harvesting function, as well as a fertilizing function. The farming sub wouldn't be able to go very deep, which is fine because it doesn't need to go deep unless your farm is really deep. Finally, there could be an observation sub made for luxury touring of the sea. It would have glass walls. The sub wouldn't be able to go very deep because of the weak glass walls would be destroyed by the pressure.

So this is all I can think of right now. If I think of anything else, I'll either put it in the discussion or edit this post. Please post your own ideas in the discussion! I hope the devs see this! Also, put anything that's wrong with what I said in the discussion and I'll try to change it.

- Seger

Comments