TAW pub server game last night

Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited July 2015 in NS2 General Discussion
Hi all,

I know this is an unusual question, I was on the TAW pub 1 game on veil last night. Had to go after 90 minutes, and wanted to know the outcome of the match. I was aliens, and the game look like it lasted about 2 hrs. If you were in that game, or know someone in the game, can you please let me know the outcome. It seems the server isn't on the white list for HIVE (or I could have gotten the results from there).

Forgot to mention, I was playing from Australia, so last night around 11pm for me is about 4pm? for UK.

thanks

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    edited July 2015
    [15:38:35]Round ended with aliens winning.

Also fixing the 'server isnt whitelisten on hive' is on my todo list. :)
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @DC_Darkling Thanks for letting me know. That was such a long game, with our team (aliens) spear headed by myself and the comm ___$$$$$$$ trying to coordinate a team with 3 greens that didn't do much (must be a fun experience though, as they got to try out all life forms).

The entity count for that game was 1300 at peak (crazy).
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    and im sure the server held out fine. ;)
    /selfbragging

But sure, no problem telling you. :)
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    believe it or not, it did hold out extremely well. No hitching, and it just trod on. +1 to the TAW server (wish I see it filled more often during my game time).
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Did you happen to come across Mickey Mouse by any chance? :smiley:
    yeah, he/she (can't tell with the Mickey voice) joined late. I left about 15 minutes after Mickey joined :-( had to pick up my family before it ended.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Haha, we won dude, finally persuaded the team to split into two groups, of gorges and onos to hit the power at both Cargo and Pipeline, marines finally caved in, took 10 attempts for people to finally listen :dizzy:
    Actually I wasn't worried about performance at all.
    It will take all servers on one of the mains (UK or LU) to be on max load before we may see issues.

Experience has shown that wont happen. (And even if they all go max im fairly sure it will hold, considering the performance buffer we use.)
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    TAW has best servers EU (if not EU + NA)
    @yojimbo sweet. it was such a push to get our team to coordinate. Were you there when the 3 gorges took control down? I was one of the gorges (my tunnel). Was an epic if messy game. Good to hear we won after all our efforts. I had 100 pres at one stage lol.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sounds like an epic game guys, that never give up spirit is what I miss from the YoClan Regs. :)
    @yojimbo sweet. it was such a push to get our team to coordinate. Were you there when the 3 gorges took control down? I was one of the gorges (my tunnel). Was an epic if messy game. Good to hear we won after all our efforts. I had 100 pres at one stage lol.

I was there whenever Mickey Mouse joined :wink: after 30 mins for screaming at the team in mickey's voice we managed to get the job done, marines just lost the will, it was psychological warfare haha
    well feel free to play on our pubs often. They are there after all. ;)
    I recently added more custom maps also. :D
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2015
    Also fixing the 'server isnt whitelisten on hive' is on my todo list. :)

How can a server operator whitelisten his own server on ns2 hive?

Mephilles wrote: »
    TAW has best servers EU (if not EU + NA)

And is yet to be proven with 1'500 entities during a round or better, moar :p

@wooza I do check your server out every so often. I guess the only down side to it is harder to coordinate a team (many new players). But good for a quick and dirty match.
    @wooza nownow, lets not get server personal. :P

You can not whitelist as a server operator as you indeed mentioned. We sadly can not run servers from a dedicated IP, which is actually the reason we need to be whitelisted again and again. Thats what I ment.

OI, we can hold on all our servers all the entities it needs + buffer. Thats plenty.
    In my personal opinion a good server, from a technical point, is not defined by how strong it is. Its defined how well it can maintain without any issues whatsoever, the playercount and gametype it runs.
    We could technicly run a 40+slot server if we wanted to go that way.. We dont. We want/need more smaller servers rather then 2 huge ones. We dont want to hack the executable. We want to stay official.
    I aint stopping you from running 40+ but taw servers are not designed around that. All our servers are designed for 20 slot. Sometimes 18 if I think the buffer was a tad low.

We just keep a very large buffer on memory cpu and bandwidth to make sure every server runs optimal for 20 players. As long as it holds that on my performance wants.
    It needs not prove itself for something its not designed to do. :)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Unfortunately as things are right now, the only way to have your server whitelisted is for it to be specifically done so by us.
    Seeing as how we (the CDT) just gained control of Hive (from UWE) this may change, or we might make it much easier to apply etc.

We do realize that this is an annoyance and apologize - but we are very happy to finally have this system in our hands and plan for improvements, so bear with us!
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2015
    @DC_Darkling i just want to say that the entities count is a better indicator to check the server performance than the duration of a round. A 120+ min game can still have a CPU idle of 30-40% while 1'500+ entities can't (without having cheats enabled). I have yet only seen the Thirsty Onos and Scatterverse that can hold that load. This is also why i choosed to lower the network rates: As it performs 98% nicely of any game, it can still happen, with more than 2100 entities, that he can not hold the load with the default settings. This sometimes happen when marines starting to turtle after a long game and the alien commander throw everything on the battlefield that he can, like hallucinations, whips etc.

@IronHorse Is it possible to make the hive "more friendly" to servers with non static ip? Like saving the DNS instead of the IP. This was also a card on Trello for favorite the Server in the server browser but the card sadly dissapeared :(
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    wooza wrote: »
    @IronHorse Is it possible to make the hive "more friendly" to servers with non static ip? Like saving the DNS instead of the IP. This was also a card on Trello for favorite the Server in the server browser but the card sadly dissapeared :(
    That is specifically one of the areas we're looking at. Being able to run server via DDNS versus IP. No promises though, as the topic hasn't been thoroughly researched yet.

@wooza yes I know mate. I have actually tested this in the past.
    In theory our servers should all be able to handle it. Yes, if ALL our servers hit this insane max load all at once, we may have a issue. But that simple does not happen. (its also one reason why we split the pubs over 2 physical servers)

Our current cpu usage on entities is next to nothing thankfully.