About the solar panels electric links

Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
What do you think about those?

I think it looks ugly as sin and feels as unrealistic as it comes. I mean, pipes aren't that pretty to look at either, but they don't attract attention that much. But pipes show how the electric links could be replaced.

I would rather use a piece of copper wire per wire/pipe connection than to look at these blue flashy thingies.

Comments

• JoolJool Join Date: 2015-04-26 Member: 203846Members
    I, personally, would hate to use wires. I think the transmitters and such are an innovative solution, which enhance the sci-fi future tech feel, as well as not costing me my valuable copper to link all the way from my LZ heat harvesting facility to my base accumulator 100 meters away. Plus, I'd rather not have cables clutter up the outside of my base.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited July 2015
    If the transmission is wireless, I don't think it should be so blatantly visible. The arc threads are awful to look at and is reminiscent of tesla punk. The technology might use electrolasers, but that's doubtful because those transmit in strait lines.

I feel the the current look should only be a place holder. Never the less, superconducting cables are still futuristic - especially those that are room temperature.
  • WrattsWratts The Sweet Surland Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203906Members
    I'd appreciate them more if they did that while recharging my Seamoth and Cyclops, when parked in their vicinity. :)
  • solar71solar71 usa Join Date: 2015-06-06 Member: 205276Members
    100% agree with the OP!!!
    Blue electricity lightning bolts coursing through water (somehow?) = BAD
    Conduits with wires inside = GOOD
  • AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members
    edited July 2015
    I think that it should still be wireless, but maybe with a better effect :)

The idea of Totally Lemon is good :)
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    If the transmission is wireless, I don't think it should be so blatantly visible. The arc threads are awful to look at and is reminiscent of tesla punk. The technology might use electrolasers, but that's doubtful because those transmit in strait lines.

I feel the the current look should only be a place holder. Never the less, superconducting cables are still futuristic - especially those that are room temperature.

I like the electrolaser idea!
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members

The only issue is that I'd be dangerous. Anything caught between point A and B while power is flowing becomes really crispy. Small fish, plankton, Reaper Leviathans, and the player could be killed by it.

Although originally theorized as a weapon, it's really called a laser induced plasma channel. Basically, the laser generates an electrically conductive channel of plasma, through which electricity can be conducted. There are other methods of transferring energy via laser. It's called power beaming, but it can be just as dangerous. If the devs are planning to have Subnautica anchored in realistic technology than this is the only option. This is considering that all other wireless methods are either too short range, or ridiculously impractical.

The only issue is that I'd be dangerous. Anything caught between point A and B while power is flowing becomes really crispy. Small fish, plankton, Reaper Leviathans, and the player could be killed by it.

Although originally theorized as a weapon, it's really called a laser induced plasma channel. Basically, the laser generates an electrically conductive channel of plasma, through which electricity can be conducted. There are other methods of transferring energy via laser. It's called power beaming, but it can be just as dangerous. If the devs are planning to have Subnautica anchored in realistic technology than this is the only option. This is considering that all other wireless methods are either too short range, or ridiculously impractical.

Okay how about using microwave transmission?
    edited July 2015

Unless you want to boil the ocean, not so good idea. :#

But idk, future tech might have some sort or cold plasma shielding, or force field... like the propulsion cannon tech.

edited July 2015
    (Sorry, accidental crap post)
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester

But idk, future tech might have some sort or cold plasma shielding, or force field... like the propulsion cannon tech.

Please define cold plasma?
    edited July 2015

Cold plasma is plasma with a low degree of ionization. Basically, fewer particles are ionized in the gas, creating a lower relative temperature. Cold plasma temperatures range from around 700°C to -272°C. Although ultra-cold plasmas are experimental, they might be common in the future.

F1.large.jpg

Magnetic fields could perhaps contain the plasma for use as a highly conductive conduit. Subnautica is already spiced with some nifty future tech, so this isn't too far fetched.

Cold plasma is plasma with a low degree of ionization. Basically, fewer particles are ionized in the gas, creating a lower relative temperature. Cold plasma temperatures range from around 700°C to -272°C. Although ultra-cold plasmas are experimental, they might be common in the future.

F1.large.jpg

Magnetic fields could perhaps contain the plasma for use as a highly conductive conduit. Subnautica is already spiced with some nifty future tech, so this isn't too far fetched.

So this means that the plasma itself is the conductor? mmmmh interesting, how conductive would it be?
  • OlafurAOlafurA Iceland Join Date: 2015-07-16 Member: 206178Members
    Here's an idea. Why not replace the possible wires with Fiber Optic cable technology? The game is fairly sci-fi, so why not say electricity is transferred via fiber optic cables, where it's before and after going through those, translated/transferred/converted into "energy"?

Also. I'm quite in favor of solar panels.

As a quite creative problem solver, and an electrician's apprentice, i have quite a few ideas that could be somewhat useful when it comes to adding realism/cooler technology to this game.