Calories and Nutrients: Peepers and Flintstones (Creepvines)

SenneraSennera Texas Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206043Members
Is an all-fish diet healthy? Currently in Subnautica, yes. In real life, you have to supplement your diet with other foods if you're attempting an all-fish diet for prolonged periods.

Subnautica has one nutrition bar to handle your only requirement from food; this means I can eat a peeper and spadefish diet and don't have to deal with variety. I imagine it's a high calorie, high protein diet and malnutrition would become an issue as the fish would be lacking in micronutrients.

To simulate this, the current nutrition bar could be divided into Calories and Nutrients. Calories would represent energy gained from fish flesh, and nutrients would represent the micronutrients to sustain the body in the long term. Calories would be a concern in the short term, as swimming burns up a lot of energy, so it would go down about the same as the nutrition bar currently goes down. Nutrients would be more of a long term concern, and the bar would go down much slower than the calories bar would.

Fish would be high in calories, almost pure flesh in a mixture of muscles and fat but excluding the organs which might have dangerous amounts of nutrients, or just be poisonous. Creepvine and creepvine seeds/fruit could be processed in the fabricator or eaten raw for nutrients. As Flora gets developed into medicines/foods, more sources of nutrients on the ocean floor (or on the floating islands) would be available.

--

As an extra tie-in to my other idea/suggestion here, the fabricated 'fish sticks' would contain some nutrient value as the fabricator would be able to safely extract some of what's available in organs that would otherwise be discarded. Creepvine bars/chews would also be possible, which would increase their calorie content slightly and nullify the H2O loss from them.

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    This has got to stop, lol.

If you read all the suggestions for the game, which suggest to add this extra bar here, or that extra bar there, we'd end up with a HUD that consisted entirely of bars. :D

I think we have more than enough bars cluttering up the HUD, and personally, I think we also have enough to manage in the game already. There is the danger of just making it too complex for it's own good. There is a threshold, and I think with what we know as already planned, feature creep leading to making it too complex for new players is a potential future issue.

Unfortunately NS2 is a game that is too complex for many gamers, and it would be a shame to see Subnautica have the same problem.

All personal opinion of course.
  • subnautica4lifesubnautica4life united states Join Date: 2015-07-11 Member: 206106Members
    I don't think that there should be calories and nutrients bars but i do think that you shouldn't just maintain food from fish so you should have to find different fruits and vegetables so if you just eat fish you could die or it effects you negatively so you should have to balance fruits,vegetables and meat in your diet and you could add greenhouse room for your base so you can grow and harvest different fruits and vegetables.
  • LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    What about a bar that slowly fills and when its full the player has to stop and scratch his scrotum for a second.