12-hour feedback

SenneraSennera Texas Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206043Members
I've put 12 hours into my first save finally, and feel like I've accumulated some feedback from my first experience with the game that I want to share with more than 160 characters and a single smiley. First up, the more-than-one smileys.

:)B)o:):s

And next up, the longer-than-160-characters feedback.

---
I've been looking around a lot and I already know there's been a lot of feedback on the scarcity of Quartz already, and that the intent is for Quartz to be a finite resource. I think I need to put my voice in with the others and say that keeping my Submaria full of power cells is burning a hole in the pocket I've dedicated to my finite Quartz. However, I want to focus on the REAL Quartz sink: the windows I tried to put into my bases.

Subnautica's beautiful. It's a real shame to not be able to give my bases nice 360 views simply because it takes 6 raw quartz for every window I want to install. My 12 hour save doesn't have enough quartz left, so I'm restarting from scratch and rationing windows on my seabases. I'm not sure we need fused quartz windows for seabases, too, so it seems reasonable for raw sand to be refined into silica (with impurities) by the magic fabricator, and then further processed into glass.

The quartz crystals would be pure silica, and could still be required for higher tech applications.

---
One of the things that really makes a view on the ocean floor is the amount of fish swimming around; they really make those expensive windows worth it. It didn't take long to begin making deadzones just from catching enough fish to eat, though, and this is another reason I'm restarting from scratch.

I've yet to find plans for repopulating fish in the chunks of maps, but I feel this should be a priority. I know that the amount of fauna in a biome can't be realistic because of technology limitations, so eating 20 fish decimates the local population, and while fish respawning sounds unrealistic and icky, I'd rather my beautiful seafloor have beautiful fish to go along with it even if I've had to snack on a few.

Edit: I've come to the realization that the fish population in the safe shallows is being killed off by Stalkers from the surrounding kelp forests, and possibly local Gasopods, so there's not much control the player has on conserving a local population. Peepers are sitting ducks for Stalkers at the moment, so either they need a buff or the Stalkers need a nerf.

---
The Reaper Leviathan. I think it's good to stop people from swimming straight to the Aurora and looting everything in reach before they've even got the Cyclops. However, the only time I've met one of them was when I'd wandered too far along a grassy plateau without my seamoth and came across some safe shallows I wanted to poke around.

I survived the meeting, thankfully, but I realized I couldn't explore much east of the spawn thanks to the reapers swimming around in that area. Not only are they limiting access to the Aurora, but they're shutting down access to nearby biomes entirely. Can't safely scavenge or explore in or out of your seamoth, and while the Cyclops could facilitate much safer exploration, it's an energy guzzler even with the upgrade and very ill-suited to that task.

Maybe the Aurora should just explode later on in the game, if the intent is to prevent the player from accessing the Aurora too early.

Comments

• LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    I like your feedback, i really want to add tho that you should have a safe time scavenging stuff near reapers while you have the freezecannon thing.
  • SenneraSennera Texas Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206043Members
    I shot a fully charged stasis at the reaper, and the shot passed right through his face (literally) so I'm guessing they're immune to them.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Generally, I find if I swim around the aurora, the reapers leave me alone. They tend to take more of an interest when I have a seamoth though...