Survival leaderboards

TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
So as may have been noted, i'm not much for putting multiplayer into Subnautica. *ducks quickly* However! However I AM for putting in something to play the game over for aside from the potential story. So here is my suggestion, for either the game with story as it will be or as an open 'endless survival' mode there could be a leader board system. With things tracked as time, resources, upgrades, research, and ect. I would also suggest tracking kills and ranking them on the LEAST amount getting a higher score since this is supposed to be a more peaceful take on gaming. Tracking could be done by friends on steam, country, or even international perhaps.

This way there is a multiplayer aspect without sacrificing the single player gameplay.

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    So if I spend 600hrs in one game, collect every resource, upgrade and research, and continue my policy of not killing any animals, I should be just about unbeatable in my score.

I don't think an open ended game like this can have a high-score table, it just wouldn't work. It would simply be a case of who played the longest and got everything.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    Multiplayer might not even happen, so I wouldn't crap myself over it. Besides, there is always single player.
  • TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
    edited June 2015
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    So if I spend 600hrs in one game, collect every resource, upgrade and research, and continue my policy of not killing any animals, I should be just about unbeatable in my score.

I don't think an open ended game like this can have a high-score table, it just wouldn't work. It would simply be a case of who played the longest and got everything.

That depends, I forget to say this (I was getting tired when the idea popped) but it could be the 'perma-death' version of survival. Plus an open timer won't work as you pointed out, but a timer to complete objectives, such as fixing the aurora, would in fact be reasonable.

Furthermore as open ended as the game is, it may not always be that case. Right now we have a 'sandbox' merely on the virtue there is no real amount of drive yet put into the game. But if the Aurora is anything to judge by, along with the trello, that may not be the case as the production gets closer to the launch version. Not to mention hopefully more critters that might make no-death runs more difficult as production rolls on.

Edit: Considering eating requires you to kill animals....this could be a potential timer as well. ;)
    Multiplayer might not even happen, so I wouldn't crap myself over it. Besides, there is always single player.

I'm not 'crapping' myself over it, but frankly I see to much for to little in return to what multiplayer would cost and bring to the overall game. But there is something to be said about seeing how well you can survive and where you fall in compared to other players. If for no other reason I find that maybe i'm missing some strategy and look at how I do things.
  • TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
    edited June 2015
    Oops, double post >.<