FT disables bile? Bile disables GL!

WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
GL's have been a bane since the whip nerf, so how about bile countering mid-air GL nades.

Pretty hard to pull off but could help GL spam?

Discuss

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I still do not see the problem of 'staying of the ground vs GLs'.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I don't think this can be done.

Grenades used to be knocked out of the air by whips, but that was broken when grenades where changed to be predicted projectiles.

I am not sure of the technical reason why the change doesn't allow grenades to be affected in-flight anymore, but I would assume the same limitation prevents this idea.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited June 2015
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I don't think this can be done.

Grenades used to be knocked out of the air by whips, but that was broken when grenades where changed to be predicted projectiles.

I am not sure of the technical reason why the change doesn't allow grenades to be affected in-flight anymore, but I would assume the same limitation prevents this idea.

A grenade can detonate mid-flight when an alien crosses its path. No reason it couldn't "detonate" without damage when a bile bomb (splash) crosses its path
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I believe bile bomb is predicted also. I would need someone to confirm because I am not confident on that.

So if two predicted entities cross path in the prediction they would hit? I guess it would work if the hitboxes were big enough.

I really just can't imagine someone being able to consistently land that shot though.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Whips should have an ability for x seconds knock back gls. Then have a cool down, would ease the spam on public play a little.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Let us, for the arguments sake say it's possible. As you put it yourself, it'd be 'pretty hard to pull off', to land those critical shots. And I think there is generally going to be better ways to counter GL spam in game. At any rate, it would be a very niche technique, only used by a minority of players, I predict.

So the question is; is it worth the development time & effort to implement something like this for such a niche audience? -The answer to this question obviously greatly depends on how much time and effort is required, which I have no idea about.

Even in the best case scenario, that you could make it work like you intend to, I doubt it's worth it.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited June 2015
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    Let us, for the arguments sake say it's possible. As you put it yourself, it'd be 'pretty hard to pull off', to land those critical shots. And I think there is generally going to be better ways to counter GL spam in game. At any rate, it would be a very niche technique, only used by a minority of players, I predict.

So the question is; is it worth the development time & effort to implement something like this for such a niche audience? -The answer to this question obviously greatly depends on how much time and effort is required, which I have no idea about.

Even in the best case scenario, that you could make it work like you intend to, I doubt it's worth it.

I did mention the splash doing it too. It lingers for a short moment in the air, enough so that someone spamming bile on a corridor ceiling should be able to effectively screen out any grenades fired through that corridor. Especially if bile was modified a little to fit the added use.

Anyway, regardless of what I say about the feasability, I don't really think the idea is all that appealing to be honest. I just like working out how something like this could work.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like @IeptBarakat 's idea of killing two birds with one stone. Make web's viable and GL spam counter only lategame.