Could The Maps Themselves Be A Problem Sometimes?

RavlenRavlen Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7713Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Some thoughts about maps...</div> I just find that there are several maps where it seems that marines / aliens have a slight advantage (mostly aliens). It is due to things like the way the start is organized...

For instance, in nancy the marines have a *very* small and unwieldy starting location. It is hard to do much, and requires more than one turret factory to properly cover. Making upgrades there is a huge pain, and causes all kinds of slow downs as marines try to work their way out of the base (and is also great for skulks and lerks to hide in).

In bast, if the aliens start in the Engine room, their nearest resource is quite far from the hive (and is extremely close to the marine base). The marines on the other hand have those two resources in atmospheric which are easily covered with one factory. If the marines find out early that the aliens are in the hive, they can take that nearest resource and lay siege to the hive. On the other hand, it is very very hard to kill the marines in this map. Even with 3 hives, you'll be hard pressed to get through, as the vent can be welded, and the door and elevator are really huge bottlenecks.

In caged, the aliens have two hives with resources that are quite far from the hive (Sewer and Generator). This is offset by the marines having resources even *further* from base (other than their starting one).

In nothing, the marines have docking wing nearby, which is good. BUT, they almost have no choice, as the other exit to their base has next to no resources in sight. The marines have to go very far that way to get resources. On the other hand, it is generally viewed that if aliens start in Cargo Bay, the marines have already lost. It is a fast trip to the dockwing wing to put the pressure on the marines, as well as the two resources so close you can spit on them when you spawn. They also are a hop through the vent to another resource. About the only time aliens lose on that map is if they start in the power silo.

Some of these issues aren't all that bad (some ARE bad, like in nothing), but could it be that small map issues are the final drops that overflows the bucket?

I find most of the well balanced games are due to the aliens starting in a certain location, or due to the map (like eclipse, where it feels like everything is just perfectly laid out to make it challenging for both teams).

Well, there's my 2¢. Just a thought, that maybe some minor corrections in maps could help even out the games. I'm sure people can come up with many other problems they see in maps...

Ravlen

Comments

• zodazoda Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7175Members
    yeah... , but thats ok... they all have different advantages, it's not all marines having a better chance or aliens... and they're only slight problems

I for one think the marine start is very hard to find in ns_caged, I've only played it a few times though.., but with every other map I could easily follow the circle that says "marine start", in this one everything is messed up.
  • DemerzelDemerzel Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9181Members
    I think eclipse is quite biased in the aliens favour. The marines have a long way to go to any of the hives especially with the early game being normally biased in the aliens favour with skulks ruling the roost. Far too often aliens romp home on this map in double quick time with only occasional marine wins.
  • RavlenRavlen Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7713Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--zoda+Nov 25 2002, 07:33 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (zoda @ Nov 25 2002, 07:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->yeah... , but thats ok... they all have different advantages, it's not all marines having a better chance or aliens... and they're only slight problems

I for one think the marine start is very hard to find in ns_caged, I've only played it a few times though.., but with every other map I could easily follow the circle that says "marine start", in this one everything is messed up.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But in a game like this, don't you think a small advantage could be the final say? A perfectly matched team could lose not because of one team being better than another, but because of map problems, or starting location...

Ravlen
  • MausMaus Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5599Members
    You mentioned Nancy as having a bias for the aliens, but if the marines secure the mess hall it's very difficult to get them out. Every map has a way to negate whatever disadvantages a team may start with.
    <!--QuoteBegin--Demerzel+Nov 25 2002, 07:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Demerzel @ Nov 25 2002, 07:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think eclipse is quite biased in the aliens favour. The marines have a long way to go to any of the hives especially with the early game being normally biased in the aliens favour with skulks ruling the roost. Far too often aliens romp home on this map in double quick time with only occasional marine wins.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You know, I felt quite the opposite. I always felt that both maintenance and eclipse are just a short hop away from base, so that a team of marines rushing a hive gets there easily 90% of the time. (computer core is a different story, which is fine). Although I do find the aliens have an easier time than they should getting around... ANY skulk on the map can get to any other place on the map before a resource is destroyed, usually.

Ravlen
    <!--QuoteBegin--Souris+Nov 25 2002, 07:42 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Souris @ Nov 25 2002, 07:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You mentioned Nancy as having a bias for the aliens, but if the marines secure the mess hall it's very difficult to get them out. Every map has a way to negate whatever disadvantages a team may start with.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    IF the marines get the messhall, THEN it is balanced. That's what I'm reading here.

so the map only gets balanced if the marines can take a certain point. Then it begins to be a fair match?

Ravlen