Map size, test or actual?

TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
So I came across this off comment before, but never have been able to find confirmation. The comment however being that the current map size is only a test bed, with the actual map going to be far larger and probably laid out differently. I was always under the impression that the current map was being built up as new bioms and areas were created, with the finished map being...well the map we have being finished.

So basically, is the current map just a small scale test bed or is it just the unfinished final map? Because either way I thought procedural generation was not going to be used since tunnels and such weren't working well with it.

Comments

• TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
    Insane wrote: »
    The "final" map will be a version of what is currently being built, yes, although we hope to keep adding to it after we leave Early Access and release v1.0.

We're unlikely to go wider for now, we're focusing on detailing the unfinished areas of the map and going deeper. You are right that we aren't using procedural generation to build the world, everything in it has been hand-crafted.

How big are you hoping for the final map in relation to what we have now? I know you plan to add a polar region and lava zone. But how big overall do you hope go get this?
  • DreadlordDreadlord Join Date: 2015-03-31 Member: 202815Members
    Insane wrote: »
    The "final" map will be a version of what is currently being built, yes, although we hope to keep adding to it after we leave Early Access and release v1.0.

We're unlikely to go wider for now, we're focusing on detailing the unfinished areas of the map and going deeper. You are right that we aren't using procedural generation to build the world, everything in it has been hand-crafted.

See the following suggestion on maps: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2287825/#Comment_2287825
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Terra: The current map size is what it will be for a long time. Anything added after 1.0 will be determined by how successful the game is at 1.0. If there is little growth, I think you can expect little new content. However, if the game explodes, we could see up to twice the current surface area.

The other wildcard is if UWE ever adds mod support (which at this point is unlikely). If they do, then conceivably the map size could be nearly unlimited, based on user-created content.
  • NikonthenetNikonthenet UK Join Date: 2016-05-12 Member: 216680Members
    For me its the quantity of Fauna and Flora that is most important as that IS the content.

Better than have a vast map if the DEVs could create a CREATURE CREATOR -a simpler version of the Spore game perhaps- and we could then upload PLAYER CREATED CONTENT, the game would be ENDLESS!

I really hope the Devs see this and give it some consideration.