Submarine Recovery Mission

Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
Hi there,

while playing yesterday i experienced some epic scenes, that gave me tons of ideas. Here is one of them.

I was out to fix up the Aurora and aside from a surprise-spawn of a reaper right next to me, it went well until i was done and ready to go home. On my way back i assumed from the scream of the reaper, that it was far away, when suddenly i heard it right behind me and way too close. The second i turned around it had me and the first thing i did was panic, press RMB and abandon ship (probably saved me). I watched the reaper shake my seamoth around while disappearing in the cloudy water. The Moth's beacon kept moving for quite a while before resting. I don't know what shape my moth is in, but i still get the signal.
As soon as have a cyclops i will get my vessel back (and my pride xD)

When i lost my Moth, it was a scene that felt so right in a game like Subnautica, like it was scripted to lead to this.

Then i had an idea: This would make for a great ingame event.
What if there were a creature - too big to bother with a little human or small subs - that attacked your Cyclops out of nowhere and took it to it's nest, because it mistook it for food or idunno? In order to not sink with the whole thing, you would have to man the Moth and get out of there. After this, it'd be up to you to start a recovery mission and get the cyclops back.

I have no idea yet, how to overcome the beast or actually repair the vessel, but i hope some of you like the whole scenery and maybe can help out with some ideas.
The game needs events that just happen, without asking you, like the explosion of the Aurora.

Comments

• SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
    Sounds cool. But this could potentially be the most frustrating thing ever made. Especially if it can happen multiple times. Maybe you won't have to leave the sub, but instead stay on board. The sub won't break either, but you'd have hard time getting it off the beast's nest. Maybe there could be some movement patterns for the creature, and you have to notice them to get the right timing for escape attempt.
  • HexaphobiaHexaphobia Oregon Join Date: 2015-05-20 Member: 204694Members
    Hi there,

while playing yesterday i experienced some epic scenes, that gave me tons of ideas. Here is one of them.

I was out to fix up the Aurora and aside from a surprise-spawn of a reaper right next to me, it went well until i was done and ready to go home. On my way back i assumed from the scream of the reaper, that it was far away, when suddenly i heard it right behind me and way too close. The second i turned around it had me and the first thing i did was panic, press RMB and abandon ship (probably saved me). I watched the reaper shake my seamoth around while disappearing in the cloudy water. The Moth's beacon kept moving for quite a while before resting. I don't know what shape my moth is in, but i still get the signal.
    As soon as have a cyclops i will get my vessel back (and my pride xD)

When i lost my Moth, it was a scene that felt so right in a game like Subnautica, like it was scripted to lead to this.

Then i had an idea: This would make for a great ingame event.
    What if there were a creature - too big to bother with a little human or small subs - that attacked your Cyclops out of nowhere and took it to it's nest, because it mistook it for food or idunno? In order to not sink with the whole thing, you would have to man the Moth and get out of there. After this, it'd be up to you to start a recovery mission and get the cyclops back.

I have no idea yet, how to overcome the beast or actually repair the vessel, but i hope some of you like the whole scenery and maybe can help out with some ideas.
    The game needs events that just happen, without asking you, like the explosion of the Aurora.

Yes! I love it! What immediately came to mind was, some sort of large nesting creature. upon encountering this creature with your cyclops you discover that your cyclops produces the same signal (frequency,heat,em what ever) as its offspring does. This large creature mistakes the cyclops for one of its offspring and grabs your cyclops and takes it back to its nest. in order to retrieve your cyclops you must sneak into the creatures nest and alter/reverse the signal of your cyclops in order to escape with it. Maybe this event is what leads to a research project on a cyclops upgrade that repels certain predators threw some sort of signal.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    edited June 2015
    @SalmonJEDI: Yeah, i get what you mean. I don't think it'd be cool to happen more than once. Just like the Aurora doesn't rebuild itself over night to explode again. You know, an event.
    I had second thoughts about the frustration potential. Maybe it wouldn't be that cool if the Cyclops was functioning as your main base. I think Hexaphobia had some really nice ideas that could solve most of the problems.

@Hexaphobia: Dude, you're an idea machine^^ This is gold!
  • SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
    edited June 2015
    @Captain_Pyro I mean, this COULD become really frustrating, NOT that it definitely will be. Hence the word 'potentially'. I do like the idea, and if it's done right, it will be nice addition to research mechanics (research needed to escape the nest).
    To add to @Hexaphobia 's ideas, maybe you would need to take DNA samples from those beasts and unlock creature repelling tech that way.
  • paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    I think every animal in the game should be able to be eaten. Then the predators (like the stalker) would give more nutritional value than their prey does. This would also let you "harvest" their teeth and cure/store the rest of the meet for later. Even their bones could be use to make knives that are stronger than and last longer than the one you start with.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    You really have to stop digging up threads from months ago m8. Especially when you're going to go wildly off topic. Eating Stalkers has nothing to do with the discussion that was taking place.
    It has to do with the sub recovery in that once you kill the creature(s) that sunk the sub or are just in your way you can eat them.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    You really have to stop digging up threads from months ago m8. Especially when you're going to go wildly off topic. Eating Stalkers has nothing to do with the discussion that was taking place.

It is however nice for those who haven't seen the thread before and if the OP is an interesting idea. I personally would love something like this. I do agree however that comments for every creature to be edible is way off topic and unnecessary. Why would you kill a Reefback or a Skyray? If you want all creatures to be edible make your own thread, don't invade others. Since it was brought up though I believe anything up to the size of Stalkers and Sand Sharks could potentially be used as food. Anything else I would say no to.
    I recovered a "0%" welded Sea Moth that I can not get into that the reapers (yes more than one) tool from me. It has 83% power so it is still sending it location. I recovered it by using 3 floaters to lift it and my Cyclops to push it back to base. I have tried welding it but it does nothing. Is there a way to delete it from the game, get it repaired, or to remove the power cell? Can I fix it if i push it into my moon pool so it docks?