Yet another suggestion thread: I'm on a boat! edition

NukesnipeNukesnipe United States Join Date: 2015-05-10 Member: 204370Members
Yes, yes, another suggestion thread. I'll try to keep it in the same vein as the game already is in.

First off, I can't be the only one that steams around on the surface with the Cyclops, so why not add a boat or two? It would have the benefit of much faster movement on the surface while being unable to go underwater, so, you may ask, what's the point? Well, you could dock the Seamoth in it, for one, or if the boat was large enough, maybe even the Cyclops. I'm imagining a twin-hul boat with a similar docking mechanism as the Cyclops, or that moon pool WIP. Maybe something like DeepSee. In fact, we might even be able to get a slightly bigger submersible, something that could fit a locker and a fabricator and not much else, able to go to a much deeper depth than the Cyclops.

Another reason boats could be useful would be if we had surface bases. A floating base would have several advantages over underwater bases, as well as several disadvantages. First and foremost, you don't have to worry about hull strength in relation to pressure. At the cost, if weather is ever implemented, you'd have to worry about inclement weather, storms and waves and the like. A floating base could have a dock for a boat, a moon pool, might even be powered by tidal, solar or wind power.

This leads me into my third suggestion, the ability to transfer electricity and oxygen through the use of pipes, as well as elevators. A floating base would be able to harvest electricity, and through either regular pipes or an elevator shaft, transfer it to a sea base. This would eliminate the need for power generators, while simultaneously fixing the discrepancy of an unpowered seabase two klicks underwater somehow having infinite air. The elevator would just make it easier to go from one to the other quickly and safely, as you don't need to hop into a Seamoth or Cyclops and put yourself at the risk of the unusually aggressive native Fauna. Yes, I'm looking at you, Reaper Leviathan over in the western corner of the map. Fool me once, shame on me for not looking backwards...

Speaking of bases and electricity, perhaps we could even have extractors that, depending on the biome you place them in, recover different types of materials. Put them in the safe shallows and you get titanium, copper and quartz, put them in the grassy plateau and you get silver and gold, etc. etc. It'd remove the tediousness of going out and manually gathering some of these materials by hand (I'm looking at YOU, quartz).