Regenerating Resources

SamuelTornSamuelTorn Sweden Join Date: 2015-04-21 Member: 203700Members
I'm resposting this from my steam discussion, to gather more information / opinions.

From steam topic:

"I have been playing for a bit now, and I have not seen any resources (Quartz, creepvine etc.) respawning."
"Since the map is finite, this would limit the time you could play, before you would die over and over again from starvation/dehydration."

Is this something that could be introduced?"

Comments

• LagiacrusLagiacrus USA Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203475Members
    I completely agree! I've only been playing for a while, and already I'm forced to scrounge the very corners of my world for resources. Even if it's at a slow rate, this is something I completely support! (Plus I need more glass for my seabase empire!!)
  • theodoulostheodoulos United States Join Date: 2015-04-14 Member: 203448Members
    So what of the idea that resources spawn only in the more unique biomes...this is just to prevent staying in the shallow/safe area (naturally thought salt and food should spawn anywhere)
  • LagiacrusLagiacrus USA Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203475Members
    I'm not referring to biome unique resources. After playing for too long with non-regenerating resources, you begin to be limited in what you can do. The map isn't infinite, so you'll run out of resources eventually, and be forced to deconstruct the wonderful things you've made in order to spread outwards or power instruments. (Scrap does keep spawning though, so the only limiting factor there is glass.)
  • Han_YoloHan_Yolo Germany Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203471Members
    True, I've been scouring the world for quarz like a madman, too.
  • ZourinZourin White Castle Join Date: 2015-02-27 Member: 201577Members
    I always find myself hampered for more salt and quartz. By the time I get a cyclops up and running with some storage an hour or two in, I wind up finding myself starving on a routine basis because I can barely find enough.
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    well i can think of 2 clever ideas ...

1-for the plants and fish they can grow back/ respawn just like in minecraft
    2-for the metals and salt... well the game has volcanoes so after each eruption the game can spawn huge amounts of stuff and drop them just like scrap metal all over the place
  • dimmaNitradimmaNitra United States Join Date: 2018-03-13 Member: 238984Members
    This thread has been dead for about 3 years it seems, but has anyone gotten a solid answer? I agree with tarek. Resources outside of fish, wreckage parts ( and quartz?) should spawn back in after quite some time if you leave the area. The active volcanic regions constantly expelling debris ( one is five meters from pod 5 on my world ) and stuff floating in from the void would constitute this in a way that wouldn't hamper "realism".

From what I've seen 14 hours into the full release, it doesn't seem this is the case, but it's hard to be sure. Wanted to see if anyone has picked up more info regarding resources. Love the game btw. Best gaming experience I've had in a while.
  • ranmafanranmafan Join Date: 2018-02-04 Member: 236837Members
    edited March 2018
    Plant and Mineral resources do not respawn. Small fishes respawn - you could technically never die with all the peepers and (if the bug is fixed) bladderfish.

1. You can farm a whole bunch of organic resources like kelp, fish, gel sacks and the like infinitely with Alien Containments and growbeds.
    2. There are more resources in the game than you can possibly use. You could cover most of the surface of the ocean with MPRs and Foundations before you ran out of Titanium.
    3. Only two mineral resource types are infinite: Salt and Shale Outcrops. Your Water Filters will create the former, and Sea Treaders kick up infinite numbers of the latter (equals unlimited lithium, diamonds and gold).
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Some threads were only ment to see the light of day once.