Official Docking. Maybe...

UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
Thinking about Docking...

If the alien team starts with Generator any alien commander face a dilemma. You all know that the weak spot are Maintenance and Stability monitoring. These two spots are accessed via Courtyard (most of the time).

So the dilemma is
Weaken the progression to protect the 2 Rts
or expand like any map and hope for making the enemy busy enough not to kill this two babies.

Solution
1/ have gorges or permanent surveillance in both sites. It weakens the attacking force and therefore tends to let the marine having more territory as the front line is frozen here (more or less).
2/ having this 2 resources covered with whip and / or crag. It's an investment you can't afford in early game.
3/ having the roxXxor uber team and conquer the whole map and then you don't have to protect it any more. (hmmm wait... what?)

The update brought another issue
The devs tried to make a snake pass using crates to block LOS and reroute the marines a little bit. But unfortunately the issue stays the same and I don't feel it has been alleviated. The new thing is when the Lerks are out. It tends to be a nightmare for the marines with all the crates in the way. I felt better when I could shoot at a Lerk without all these obstacles.

That and other things I noticed but I won't say more as other threads did it before me.

The guilty one is obviously Courtyard
I don't think removing the room would do good. I prefer a softer change that can be achieved without redoing it from scratch. In fact reusing a lot of it is better. See in pics this dirty work that I did.
3bd0828c6e56f1cab5dbe5651558ea.jpg

Changes
-Glass wall on A1 A2 and A3. This can be achieved without heavy changes in the room and not much of an effort. this dirty work isn't looking bad at all.
-closing the doorway
-making a tunnel underneath. From scratch and possibility to play with grates and light from above.
-making the control room above. That one will be the hard one at it disrupt the wall and what was sculpted.

Good things
-Access to maintenance and stability are a little more complicated and dangerous. Many things can be done. It's close to free candy for a mapper.
-The Courtyard room stays more or less the same. Identity, etc...
-Possibility to play with light as they are glass materials. So no drastic change in the lightning.
-Great lightning effect can be done inside underneath pass. Oh yeah, you should test it (if you're mapping of course).
-Marine in early game as Lerk in middle game would not be sovereignly strong in the area. And without being a handicap for both.
-Lol times; we can see the others through the glass.

Bad things
Considering commander view. Upper control pass is above and cross the underneath pass. It was a problem with the catwalk it will stay a problem. Same goes with Mineshaft.
It's straight lines in A1, A2 & A3. Yes but the ceiling can be high if needed (mostly lerk). And we still have crate and such.

I believe it worth the try.

Share your thoughts.
(.level file attached)